IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

13 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Update: The production run has been paid for and ordered! Hopefully parts will arrive in about 6 weeks.

My next steps (notes for me perhaps as much as for you):

1. Wait for parts to arrive. Prepare online store in the meantime.
  2. Finalize price after all fees (customs, taxes) are paid.
    • Final price will likely be $17-19 each - I'll make sure it's my "best price" for the initial orders.
    • The price will be flat per unit (because mailing a bunch of orders in one shot will save lots of time).
    • Actually, there might be some very minor savings for higher quantities, because packaging cost per unit will be lower.
    • Shipping costs will be basically the actual cost.
  3. Inspection of all parts, and testing of a few of them.
  4. Send mass PMs to all who have expressed interest in this thread, with info on how to order.
  5. A few days later, open up orders to any/all.
  6. A couple of days later, book a chunk of time to mail out all orders.
  7. Raise the price a couple of dollars or so after the initial run (to account for my time processing individual orders).
  8. If I ever run out of parts at any point, order another batch, and continue.

Just to be on the safe side: I was one of the first supporters on this thread and always liked to get 2 screens.

I've dug out about 10 consoles (think I still have more), and was surprised to find that many of them are still playable.  Most of the problem was just the polarizer on the back turning weird colors...  :)

But they aren't perfect, so will probably still get enough to replace them all.  Then I won't have to worry about them in the future.  :)

(And likley sell a few...  I was keeping them as 'backups' or parts, but I won't need that many anymore.)

I'm (still) in for 1,2,3 - your call? (I wonder if there's gonna be a run on Parts Not Working Microvisions at Ebay for a while). I hope any install how to instructions/videos will be made with the Amateur in mind. I actually swapped a screen from a donor once, successfully, but when I did it I said I'll probably never be able to do that again. So far that's proven true, but let's hope that'll change and it turns out to be as easy as I hope.  Now that the weak link seems to be about to be resolved, time to put my mind to/figuring out how to clean up some of my pots I guess. And, for some strange reason I have just now found myself wondering - Anyone got an extra AdventureVision console laying around that they're sick and tired of owning? I'll gladly contemplate driving up to 3 states in order to have it not be shaken and rattled in the USPS network. ? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, negligentpro said:

Is the preorder open? I’m still in for 2 maybe 3 since the price is so low. 

After the parts arrive and are tested, I'll start sending PMs to everyone who has expressed interest, with instructions on how they can order. It will take a few days to get through all of that. Then I'll plan a vacation day from work to mail out all the packages.

So, yes, the pre-order is still open. You're at the end of the line, but I'll make sure everyone who has expressed interest can purchase these. If I happen to run out of parts, I'll buy more (which will take an additional 6 weeks).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 5-11under said:

After the parts arrive and are tested, I'll start sending PMs to everyone who has expressed interest, with instructions on how they can order. It will take a few days to get through all of that. Then I'll plan a vacation day from work to mail out all the packages.

So, yes, the pre-order is still open. You're at the end of the line, but I'll make sure everyone who has expressed interest can purchase these. If I happen to run out of parts, I'll buy more (which will take an additional 6 weeks).

Well my first request was for 4 screens back in February of 2019 so hopefully I’m not that far back in line lol. I was just checking to see if it was actually live. Feels like I have been following the thread forever with all the ups and downs and I can’t believe it’s actually going to happen, but I’m supper excited that it’s finally coming to fruition. Thanks for getting back to me and thank you for all the hard work 5-11 

Edited by negligentpro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: the production order is ready to be shipped to me. After it arrives (less than a week?), and after I verify that the screens are working properly (a day or two?), I'll start sending PMs to those who have expressed interest (note: there's no obligation to purchase) (total about 3-4 days?). Then I'll plan a day off to work on mailing them out (less than a week).

I won't know the final price until the order arrives... when I know the cost for customs/taxes.

• Like 5

Non-update update: The shipment of LCDs from the manufacturer to me is going very slowly. It's still showing status "shipping label created" after about 4 days. I've seen this with other recent shipments I've had, so there's no cause for alarm. Hopefully it will start moving within a day or two, and then arrive early next week... we'll see... .

Edit: the package is finally moving (02-Feb).

1 minute ago, BigO said:

Does expressing an interest in Feb. 2018 qualify for having a turn?

That'll put you as one of the first to be notified.

For what it's worth, these are scheduled to arrive on Friday, so if I'm able to test a bunch the same day, then notifications on how to purchase will hopefully start Friday or Saturday.