IGNORED

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

5-11under

since we are troubleshooting the system anyway i might as well mention it before i forget, when i went put in my address it pulled it from my paypal as per normal but it failed to grab my state so i had to go in and manually fill that out despite the autofill in place, not sure if anyone else has had that quirk, but since its not a functional issue its probably fairly low on the list of things to worry about

I entered all the current US orders into Canada Post, and printed off the tracking sheets. All the screens are in little protective baggies. I'm cutting up the tracking sheets right now, but won't get to final packaging until Tuesday. Tuesday I'll also take care of the Canadian orders, send out manual shipping e-mails, and if I get a chance, I'll get shipping quotes for the international requests, and reply to those PMs. After that, I'll send out the last batch of awareness PMs.

US orders made before today: all ready to put in the mailbox tomorrow morning.

US orders made today: the plan is to mail these out tomorrow nights.

Canadian orders: the plan is to mail these out tomorrow nights.

International orders: the plan is to contact you tomorrow night (in about 24 hours) regarding mailing costs and payment details.

I still have a batch of PMs to send out (requests from the past ~8 months). I'll do that when the current orders have been mailed out (hopefully tomorrow night).

I'll plan to make another update tomorrow night.

US orders made before today (and a couple from today - sorry SS and BM and JF, those will be tomorrow night): all packaged up, and ready to put in the mailbox tomorrow morning.

Canadian orders: all packaged up, and ready to put in the mailbox tomorrow morning.

International orders: PMs sent, with details on mailing costs, and payment method.

The final batch of PMs, to those who have expressed interest, has been sent out. Let me know if you've been forgotten. In a couple of days or so, I'll publicize the purchasing method.

Edit: I still have some set aside for international orders - there's likely at least 10 of those that I can adjust into the store, if needed.

US/Canadian orders made last night and today (previous orders were mailed out previously): all packaged up, and ready to put in the mailbox tomorrow morning.

International orders: PMs replied to, because I also need your phone number (for customs purposes only). Please reply to the PMs.

Update: there's a couple of international orders that I still need to mail out, but all other orders have been mailed.

Also, it's been a few days since I sent out the last batch of PMs to those who have expressed interest throughout the history of the project... if anyone else is interested in purchasing one, these are available on my online store at videogamepcbs.com . It's the only product available at the moment (was the kick-off for the store), but more will be added at some point. The installation instructions are also there.

just installed it and while it didnt work quite right the first try due to the usual issues with old zebra strips, it works, this tricky thing is finally playable and i can actually test the collection of games it came with, so far block buster has proven to be one of the hardest games ive ever played

Try breaking 1000 on U.F.O. for the O2 (Though sitting around waiting to be killed may not necessarily be considered "hard" by most).  The disappointing thing with these screens for me (Regarding Blockbuster at least) is that I can no longer blame the foggy screen for my bad play.

• Haha 1

so im actually having a seperate issue, the dial seems unreliable and ive already cleaned it, would one of the capacitors failing cause the dial to become unresponsive? it basically shoots off to one side, usually the left and stays stuck there as far as the display allows, since its sporadic and not part of the dial travel im suspecting either contact issues with the cartrtidge or the caps

not really sure if this is the place to ask, but i dont have many other places i know where people might know

15 minutes ago, nickle241 said:

so im actually having a seperate issue, the dial seems unreliable and ive already cleaned it, would one of the capacitors failing cause the dial to become unresponsive? it basically shoots off to one side, usually the left and stays stuck there as far as the display allows, since its sporadic and not part of the dial travel im suspecting either contact issues with the cartrtidge or the caps

not really sure if this is the place to ask, but i dont have many other places i know where people might know

I just experienced a similar issue, but it was only on one of the games I tried.   I used some plastx polish on a qtip and cleaned the tin contacts on the cartridge and it resolved it.  

1 hour ago, nickle241 said:

Are you talking about Block Buster? If so, have you tried any other games?

My Block Buster seems to have bit the dust after I replaced the screen. 

The Speed and Go buttons in the center no longer work, so I can't even start a game. All the buttons on Baseball, Bowling and Connect Four work fine, so I'm assuming the cartridge simply failed.

When replacing the screen, I used a microfiber cloth to clean everything, including that damn polarizing lens.  Whatever that lens is made out of became supercharged and wanted to cling to anything within several inches of it.  That may have zapped the game which was where I was working.  Then I ended up removing the lens because it looks way better without it...I think it may have darkened unevenly over the years.

I just ordered another Block Buster off eBay, hopefully it'll work. 

i think it was the contacts, i cleaned them and it worked again and nudging the cartridge sideways caused a similar glitch before i cleaned it a second time, this is definitely an issue stemming from the processor being cut off from the controls, what a fun quirk to the design.

11 hours ago, nickle241 said:

i think it was the contacts, i cleaned them and it worked again and nudging the cartridge sideways caused a similar glitch before i cleaned it a second time, this is definitely an issue stemming from the processor being cut off from the controls, what a fun quirk to the design.

A good q-tip isopropyl alcohol bath followed by a good pencil erasure rub did the trick for me.  My dial was very twitchy and any slight movement of the cart made it worse.  Ive had to repeat the cleaning process a few times and its about 98% perfect now.  Sometimes on Connect 4 it will jump left or right.

I've tried multiple times to install the new screen and I can't seem to get the games to display properly. Any idea what could be causing these issues? No matter how many times I adjust the screen and/or the connectors I get the same result. When I opened the system, I do notice a sticker that says "bad screen". Sticker looks quite old, and a screw is going through it, so it has obviously been opened at one point already. Even tried adding some tape to bring the connectors closer to the screen, but makes no difference.

DSC01340.JPG

DSC01341.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels

you need to clean the stepped rubber strip, take it out and rub it down with a dry cleaning cloth, that worked for me when i ran into that issue and also pay attention to the contact points on the screen and the board, it doesnt matter how clean they look all it takes is an invisible dust speck and this can happen.  have i mentioned that i hate working with vintage zebra strips?

40 minutes ago, nickle241 said:

you need to clean the stepped rubber strip, take it out and rub it down with a dry cleaning cloth, that worked for me when i ran into that issue and also pay attention to the contact points on the screen and the board, it doesnt matter how clean they look all it takes is an invisible dust speck and this can happen.  have i mentioned that i hate working with vintage zebra strips?

Still having the same issue. I'll try adding some more tape or cardboard to bring the connectors closer and more snug to the screen and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise perhaps I can send it to 5-11 and see if he can figure it out. It seems so basic though, I'm surprised I'm having such a difficult time. I've repaired consoles and handhelds for years (recaps, drive replacements, screen replacements, soldiering, modding, etc). 

Done everything I could. Spent hours. Cleaned the stepped rubber strip, used masking tape to bring the connectors as close as possible to the screen. No luck. Last 2 pictures is with the contrast all the way up. The fact that this console has been opened and fiddled with in the past has me concerned.

DSC01344.JPG

DSC01345.JPG

DSC01346.JPG

DSC01347.JPG

DSC01348.JPG

DSC01349.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels

yikes, thats not looking too good, oh the fun of trying to fix a system with two aging zebra strips, a double ended spring tension based cartridge connection and a system architecture so strange no one ever tried something like it again,

i dont really understand how half the system works but the strange stripes its doing seem like you may have an issue with either the cartridge connection or the video controller