Jump to content
5-11under

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

Recommended Posts

On 6/24/2020 at 5:21 PM, Rik1138 said:

Yeah, that is what it does, but the problem was the new LCDs aren't dark enough even at the darkest setting.

I believe he said they would work if you replace a resistor (or one little component), and I'm starting to think he should just offer that option now.  Keep working toward a drop-in replacement, but for those of us that can solder a single device I'd like to get my Microvisions working again no matter what.  Unless the company really thinks they can easily fix it, just bring on the extra work!  I just want them working again...  :)

Agreed.  These old systems need sone love. And having a way to being these back from the dead would be nice

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspired by this thread, I bought a Microvision, hoping the screen works but I'll find out shortly. I hope a drop in solution can be achieved, I'm not handy with a solder, but I would like to show my new Microvision some love, so if this becomes a possibility in the future, hopefully someone can offer soldering or repair services. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again! I would like to increase my preorder number please. I had said 5, but I would happily take 8 of the replacement screens if I can get them.

 

Me one month ago: What's a Microvision?

Me today: see attached pic.

 

So yeah. Eight please!

20200627_130617.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to update my request to two screens. Man, it’s been a minute since feb 2018— so glad to see this morning again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So what are the symptoms of a bad screen??   Are all of the pixels turned on?  Or is the screen blank?   I have a unit with 2 cartridges that works with sound but no display.

 

I'll take 2 please.  One for my pet monkey and one for my microvision.

Edited by [email protected]
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

So what are the symptoms of a bad screen??   Are all of the pixels turned on?  Or is the screen blank?   I have a unit with 2 cartridges that works with sound but no display.

yeah thats about the right symptoms, technically other things could be wrong but its such a common issue that its not worth looking for another cause

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Who exactly is working on this replacement screen?  5-11under?   Anyone else working on this?    

 

I enjoy working on solutions for these old games.   We all enjoy a little fun nostalgia with playing the old games.   I've recently purchased a unit on ebay.  It was not working and I wanted to find a solution.   I quickly found this thread.

 

I rebuild the games Dark Tower with new motors, brighter displays and new battery contacts.  Also restored are the record players for voice of the mummy, Seance and Mattel Instant replay-talking baseball and football.   All of these repairs are new motors and replacing the nasty battery corroded contacts custom made from Cheeeena manufacturers.  Sometimes other hand made customs plastic part repairs are needed.   Here is the website.   www.voiceofthemummy.com

 

It's really cool for everyone to enjoy playing these restored games once again.  I would like to work on getting a replacement LCD display made but it seems like this project has gone on for years now!

 

Does anyone personally know 5-11under??  Is a replacement getting manufactured?

 

Thanks for any help.

Edited by [email protected]
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Who exactly is working on this replacement screen?  5-11under?   Anyone else working on this?    

 

I enjoy working on solutions for these old games.   We all enjoy a little fun nostalgia with playing the old games.   I've recently purchased a unit on ebay.  It was not working and I wanted to find a solution.   I quickly found this thread.

 

I rebuild the games Dark Tower with new motors, brighter displays and new battery contacts.  Also restored are the record players for voice of the mummy, Seance and Mattel Instant replay-talking baseball and football.   All of these repairs are new motors and replacing the nasty battery corroded contacts custom made from Cheeeena manufacturers.  Sometimes other hand made customs plastic part repairs are needed.   Here is the website.   www.voiceofthemummy.com

 

It's really cool for everyone to enjoy playing these restored games once again.  I would like to work on getting a replacement LCD display made but it seems like this project has gone on for years now!

 

Does anyone personally know 5-11under??  Is a replacement getting manufactured?

 

Thanks for any help.

Not sure whats going on. Seemd like it was possibly happening but then nothing.  Has to be frustrating.  Im 1 of the lucky few to have a working unit. Knock on wood. I keep mine in a cool area and being in Washington state its typically cooler here. As you probably know these are known for failing due to the lcd when in warm temperatures.  Or so I've heard. I wanted a couple just as backups. An update or something would be nice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I created an item on ebay discussing this issue.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

 

I have a supplier that's ready to make these.  The cost is still being worked out.  The supplier also builds the replacement units for all of the old gameboy units with a white backlight display.  Those are for sale all over ebay.

 

These Microvision displays are extremely simple.

 

If anyone knows how to contact 511under, let me know.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Well, I created an item on ebay discussing this issue.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

 

I have a supplier that's ready to make these.  The cost is still being worked out.  The supplier also builds the replacement units for all of the old gameboy units with a white backlight display.  Those are for sale all over ebay.

 

These Microvision displays are extremely simple.

 

If anyone knows how to contact 511under, let me know.

So are you saying that these could have a backlight?  And are you working with a supplier to get these made yourself? If so thats great. I hope everyone on here wanting these can jump on board and we can get this going.  And people can start enjoying these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly!  Yes, the old gameboy did not have backlight.  The supplier worked with the buyer and custom created a backlight.   These are all over ebay right now.

 

It will work either with the on/off switch or use contrast control in the back.  I think that will be a cool feature that was not possible in 1979.

 

Again,  this is exactly what 511under has already completed.   I don't know what happened to 511under's progress.  He had 5 samples made that worked fine.  No updates since Apr.  It started 4-5 years ago!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His samples actually didn't work perfectly.  They were too dark in the Microvision (although still look playable, they didn't have the same contrast range as the original), and the manufacturer seemed to be having trouble getting the LCD to work as a perfect drop-in replacement, which was the goal of the original poster here.  No modifications, just straight replacement screens with the reflective backing.  He said he was able to use the sample LCDs screens after adding a resistor, but was hoping to avoid that...

Although at this point I think he should just sell them as-is with the needed resistor (or maybe replace the resistor in the game rather than adding one..)

A backlight would be cool though, no complaints there.  And I don't even mind having to do a little work (soldering, etc).  I just want to make some of my Microvisions work again!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Relicgamer said:

Not sure whats going on. Seemd like it was possibly happening but then nothing.  Has to be frustrating.  Im 1 of the lucky few to have a working unit. Knock on wood. I keep mine in a cool area and being in Washington state its typically cooler here. As you probably know these are known for failing due to the lcd when in warm temperatures.  Or so I've heard. I wanted a couple just as backups. An update or something would be nice

I had 1 that worked perfectly. Always kept in a dry climate controlled environment at 65°.

Went to use it last and totally black now...rotted out screen. :( I think shortly every specimen will be ruined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Well, I created an item on ebay discussing this issue.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

 

I have a supplier that's ready to make these.  The cost is still being worked out.  The supplier also builds the replacement units for all of the old gameboy units with a white backlight display.  Those are for sale all over ebay.

 

These Microvision displays are extremely simple.

 

If anyone knows how to contact 511under, let me know.

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad there's more than one person/group working on this project now.  I'm definitely down for whatever solution comes out.  I've never had one, but always wanted one when I was a child.  Having one now, but not working, is just a nasty tease.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the post on this.  The more activity on this the better for everyone.   This week I should get a unit that actually works.   I can take measurements and create a build spec for the supplier.   I really wish I could hear something about the project from 511under.   I don't want to step on his work but we need a screen already! 😎👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

511under said that he had multiple projects going on, and this one got put on the back burner.  I don't feel you're stepping on anyone's toes.  Simply put, there are now 2 people working on this project, for the common good to solve this problem.  If one finishes before another, that's how it goes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, you have made contact?   Is there anyway to pass on questions?   Who was the supplier?   That supplier already make samples of the LCD display and backlight part.   Can he pass along the info.  I'm having to start over with a suppliers and create new samples which is time consuming.  I would save us all a lot of time.  Thanks for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Ok, you have made contact?   Is there anyway to pass on questions?   Who was the supplier?   That supplier already make samples of the LCD display and backlight part.   Can he pass along the info.  I'm having to start over with a suppliers and create new samples which is time consuming.  I would save us all a lot of time.  Thanks for any help.

Oh, no.  I haven't made contact with him.  He stated earlier in this thread that it was "on the list of things to get done" but other projects were ahead of it.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For originality I'd prefer non-backlit.  But for playability, backlit is what I want.  I'd really like some of both.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KylJoy said:

For originality I'd prefer non-backlit.  But for playability, backlit is what I want.  I'd really like some of both.

Exactly what i was thinking.

I would like 1 or 2 of each.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m OK with non-backlit - that would keep the display true to the original IMHO. 

 

I have 2 functional units and 1 with a rotted screen. I’m still in for 3 units. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...