5-11under

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

Count me in for 4. I might need one one day, and a spare, and the retrogaming club I4m part of could use 2 screens for their Microvisions :D

• Like 1

Are these new LCD screens less prone to screen rot? Is visibility improved at all?

The new LCD screens should not be prone to screen rot. I think the Microvision screens were just made cheaply, enabling the liquid inside to leak or dry out.

Visibility should be the same or slightly better than a pristine Microvision. I'll know more when I have the prototypes.

• Like 1

I'm sure liquid crystal manufacturing has matured since the Microvisions were cranked out, even if a low-budget China outfit was producing them they're still benefiting from decades of know-how.

• Like 2

​Can you post a YouTube video showing how to replace the screen? If it is easy enough, I'll take a couple.

A video is not too likely, but I'm planning on taking some pictures sometime soon.

​Can you post a YouTube video showing how to replace the screen? If it is easy enough, I'll take a couple.

Other than dealing with the twitichiness of those zebra connectors in general, it's really not a complex job to remove and replace the LCD in a Microvision. I've swapped them around to put a known good one into an unknown unit to troubleshoot the unknown unit. I remember it being a lot more difficult to properly orient the cartridge connector piece during reassembly than anything else.

On the subject of the zebra connectors: because it's what I had on hand, I've used Deoxit and a chamois swab to successfully clean the metal and rubber contacts when parts of the LCD matrix weren't working.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support so far. Current pre-order count is 64 units (32 customers). For regularly updated status, check out the first post. It shows the current pre-order count, links to some new similar threads elsewhere, FAQ, and my to-do list (nothing completed yet).

Definitely in for one, maybe 2. (EDIT: Let's make it two!) My main MicroVision's screen is faded though still visible; need to check the other one I picked up, though I seem to recall it's OKish.

• Like 1

Collection of sad, yet hopeful Microvisions:

attachicon.gifMV.png

Cheers to bringing back life to a piece of gaming history! This replacement was desperately needed for a while...

• Like 1