Jump to content
5-11under

Microvision replacement screen project - pre-order & purchase here

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, [email protected] said:

That's a good thought. I'm not sure how you notice what chip you have externally. If you use hot air gun over the label it covers the screw.

 

Does the commodore 64 have a cooling fan in the case?

Not sure how common the c64's had problems.  They seemed pretty solid.  I had one through the 90s early 2000s and never had any problems.  Sold that one. And fast forward bought another one last year again zero problems and we're talking about a computer thats over 30 years old. Also will add what really is common with c64 failures is the power supply.  They can fail all of a sudden and allow higher voltage to the computer and destroy it. 

As for the microvision.  I have the newer unit with the shielding and uses 1 battery. Still works but from what I read in the past is these being stored in warmer climates or left in the sun will speed up the failure rate to the screen itself.  Mine spent most of if not all of its life in the Pacific northwest which is mostly cooler climate year round.  Less chances of being hot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I just rediscovered my Microvision still in the original box (original owner from the 70s). I was heartbroken that the screen didn't work. I then found this thread and was thrilled to learn about this project! Per advice earlier in this topic, I powered up Block Buster, pressed "Go" a bunch of times, and the unit beeped/responded, so I am pretty certain the only issue is the LCD.

 

Put me down for 1!

 

Thanks so much for undertaking this work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Are preorders still open? I’ve always wanted a Microvision but the screen problems scared me away.

The project is still underway.  Stay tuned.   I'll update again when the samples complete testing.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Just letting you know that I am still here... it's been a helluva year on a number of fronts... my CV and IntV PCB customers know how slow I've been for most of this year... things are settling a bit around here... getting some projects completed here and at home, and getting back on track in this thing called life.

 

Anyway, I still need to send the supplier my MV so they can set up for the proper voltages/contrast. After that, they'll be ready to produce a batch... I'm ready to send this now... but I see there's been some other things happening. I haven't read every word on the last few page, so I'm not sure the exact status... or how I should proceed next... .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Hi all,

 

Just letting you know that I am still here... it's been a helluva year on a number of fronts... my CV and IntV PCB customers know how slow I've been for most of this year... things are settling a bit around here... getting some projects completed here and at home, and getting back on track in this thing called life.

 

Anyway, I still need to send the supplier my MV so they can set up for the proper voltages/contrast. After that, they'll be ready to produce a batch... I'm ready to send this now... but I see there's been some other things happening. I haven't read every word on the last few page, so I'm not sure the exact status... or how I should proceed next... .

 

Hello this is Rich Burbage. I've been working diligently on the new MV LCD screens myself. I have samples that were created using the MV devices. So far, the samples are testing out correctly and they are about to send them to the states for further testing. At this point I wouldn't proceed any further with your project as I am now $$$ committed with the supplier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shawn said:

 

The balls on this guy :roll:

I disagree. I think he respectfully took over the project when no progress was being made.  People on this thread might be confused about the two efforts, and it doesn’t make a lot of sense for two separate efforts to work on this problem. I appreciate everyone’s efforts!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, after thinking about this for a while, I came up with a few notes. Bear with me, I'm thinking aloud, almost...

1) I've put in close to $1000 US into the project already, and spent many hours in design and communication

2) I'm only a hundred or so dollars away, in shipping charges, from having the project ready for production

3) Hopefully my price will be competitive, and I'll be able to sell at least a small batch of these (in the least), without losing my shirt in the process

4) If I'm wrong on #3, well, then I guess I've lost an additional chunk of change, or in the least I'd be able to get rid of them at some price

5) Given the above, I'm going to keep moving forward with my project

6) It looks like I was contacted about 3 months ago about the status, which seems like a short time to cut in

7) In the worst case (some would say best case ;)), there'll be 2 suppliers for these thing

8 ) RB, please create a new thread for your project. I have no problem with you continuing your project, but at the same time, I will be continuing my project. Hopefully this will all work out well for the both of us, and for everyone who owns a Microvision who can't play it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, robbievgb said:

The more microvsion screen replacement options out there the better. Don't see why both can't exist.

 

Not in 5-11's own thread they can't. I've said it before and I'll say it one last time; Trying to steal a man's built up project and interest gains out from under him in his own yard is both disgusting and wrong. There are few people in this thread that have shown themselves to be outright vultures and it's gross.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll gladly take one from both. (Just curious - Who has me watching their project item on Ebay?). Installing one on and selling me one from a previously fried screened one would be even better because (ok now I'm just being a wise guy) I only have working units.😜 By the way 5-11under, I thought I had a special place in my heart for the MV, but I think you may have me beat. Being selfish (and lazy) I'd vote for keeping both projects threading here (However - I totally appreciate and perhaps even support Shawn's counterposition if principle outweighs the spirit of collegial cooperation). I'm just so glad to hear some 1 is undertaking the project. But, 2? Ohh Boy! - Brings back memories of DoubleMint gum commercials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shawn said:

 

Not in 5-11's own thread they can't. I've said it before and I'll say it one last time; Trying to steal a man's built up project and interest gains out from under him in his own yard is both disgusting and wrong. There are few people in this thread that have shown themselves to be outright vultures and it's gross.

Communication could have been better on 5-11's part, but that's sometimes how it goes with these hobbyist level projects. Especially considering we're in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic. 5-11 has been around these parts for 17 years, he's good for it.

 

However, it takes a heavy set of nuts (or arrogance?) to swoop in, hijack a project and demand that 5-11 quit his project. Saying all the while that 5-11 should quit because "I've already spent money on the project". As if 5-11 hasn't already spent a crap load of his own time and resources on the project already. It's made even worse by the fact that this guy is completely unknown, challenging a user whos been a part of the community for almost 2 decades.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify I was never saying I agreed with the sentiment that 5-11 should halt progress I do think it's kind of rude to demand so. I think rw should start a separate thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jatari87 said:

I'll gladly take one from both. (Just curious - Who has me watching their project item on Ebay?). Installing one on and selling me one from a previously fried screened one would be even better because (ok now I'm just being a wise guy) I only have working units.😜 By the way 5-11under, I thought I had a special place in my heart for the MV, but I think you may have me beat. Being selfish (and lazy) I'd vote for keeping both projects threading here (However - I totally appreciate and perhaps even support Shawn's counterposition if principle outweighs the spirit of collegial cooperation). I'm just so glad to hear some 1 is undertaking the project. But, 2? Ohh Boy! - Brings back memories of DoubleMint gum commercials.

I bought most of these about a handful of years ago, with a few purposes... completing my collection... getting the non-StarTrek Phaser Strike... a project I was working on at the time to replace the whole guts of the Microvision with modern components, including an Arduino compatible controller... a project to create some games for the Microvision (still in play, but let's not mess up this thread any more than it is).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im glad to see you back. And definitely think you should continue moving forward.  None of this would have happened and raised interest in this little ol handheld if you hadn't gotten the ball rolling. 

I think having 2 in the works is great.  In the end its a passion project and keep gaming history alive.  Anything I can do to help promote it let me know.  Thats for you and rwburbage

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think you both should work together on this.  RB has picked up an almost dead project (no updates on progress) that has been going on for almost 2 years.  Now that it's near production, 5-11 is back to create competition in threads and projects?  3 months is quite a while to not reply on a 2 year project, RB was adamant about getting a hold of 5-11 and collaborating with his work, so I don't blame RB wanting to move forward for the greater good of all MV's.  We are all glad (for the most part) that this is nearing production and I think you both have contributed to this project and making it actually happen.  You both have invested time and money and, I think, you both should work together on this so you don't waste any more time and money and can actually start making some of your money back.  Profit over pride, I always say, a few compromises and you both will make history!!   <my unsolicited 2 cents>   Love you all AA!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

two suppliers isnt a bad thing, a lot of parts and mods for retro stuff i just cant get since only one person makes or sells it, hopefully this arrangement will help to smooth that supply gap, at least long enough for the chinese suppliers to start bootlegging them, honestly the original part was so poorly made that even at their cheapest i don't see them being worse than the originals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yoras said:

Personally I think you both should work together on this.  RB has picked up an almost dead project (no updates on progress) that has been going on for almost 2 years.  Now that it's near production, 5-11 is back to create competition in threads and projects?  3 months is quite a while to not reply on a 2 year project, RB was adamant about getting a hold of 5-11 and collaborating with his work, so I don't blame RB wanting to move forward for the greater good of all MV's.  We are all glad (for the most part) that this is nearing production and I think you both have contributed to this project and making it actually happen.  You both have invested time and money and, I think, you both should work together on this so you don't waste any more time and money and can actually start making some of your money back.  Profit over pride, I always say, a few compromises and you both will make history!!   <my unsolicited 2 cents>   Love you all AA!!

Sounds great to work together, but from my perspective, the hard work is completed, and the Engineering costs are all paid. I have no reason to stop. Probably about the same for RB, I guess. Basically I just need to send this, they'll look at the voltages and the contrast control, be mesmerized by the 1979 technology, tell me when they've got the liquid or whatever figured out, and I make an order. I guess not all the hard work is completed. The last part, orders and mailing, will take some time. Likely when the time comes, I'll take a couple of days off of work to get all that moving.

 

MV.thumb.jpg.599f5aa57b6938fa4ae30a7ef6df53a6.jpg

Oops... nice shadow on the pic... anyway, just push the button (to the right of the display in this picture) to change the display on the Mindbuster game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Sounds great to work together, but from my perspective, the hard work is completed, and the Engineering costs are all paid. I have no reason to stop. Probably about the same for RB, I guess. Basically I just need to send this, they'll look at the voltages and the contrast control, be mesmerized by the 1979 technology, tell me when they've got the liquid or whatever figured out, and I make an order. I guess not all the hard work is completed. The last part, orders and mailing, will take some time. Likely when the time comes, I'll take a couple of days off of work to get all that moving.

 

MV.thumb.jpg.599f5aa57b6938fa4ae30a7ef6df53a6.jpg

Oops... nice shadow on the pic... anyway, just push the button (to the right of the display in this picture) to change the display on the Mindbuster game.

It's fine.  We can work together on this.  It's just important to get everyone's units back up and running.   I really think once these units finally have screens more of these will be available for collecting.  Buyers might not be so uncertain to buy them as a dead brick.   This has certainly worked for the Voice of the Mummy, Seance and Dark Tower games.   I've been repairing/restoring these for a couple of decades now.  They just keep get traded, sold and passed around.

 

I really don't see the need to create another post and that will just confuse everything.  If you really want me to post elsewhere, let me know.

 

Richard

Edited by [email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...