IGNORED

Better bB music tracker

Trip2018

I'm thinking of making a better bB music tracker, one that gives the 2600 4 voice channels (I already know how to make that possible :grin:) but I don't know what software I could use to make a tracker (I google it and found nothing).

Edited by Trip2018

Does anyone know where I could get the audio?

This page uses real sounds from an Atari 2600, but it's just plain sounds, not the same as what you can do with a program running on an Atari 2600:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-music-toy.html

This page uses real sounds from an Atari 2600, but it's just plain sounds, not the same as what you can do with a program running on an Atari 2600:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-music-toy.html

Thank you for the link but I changed my mind. I think i'll just wait till I get my harmony cart (I can't do Stella because my olds pc sound card might be fried). Sorry.

Edited by Trip2018

Your project and your needs. That being said, I'd rather have a "mario paint" interface that produces the same batari BASIC music code as what VisualbB does right now.

Editing music in VisualbB is horrible (and yet the very best available.) No need to reinvent the wheel when you can build upon what everyone uses already.

More features that use more precious CPU time don't really get me excited. Easy composition rocks my world. My opinion :)

Your project and your needs. That being said, I'd rather have a "mario paint" interface that produces the same batari BASIC music code as what VisualbB does right now.

Editing music in VisualbB is horrible (and yet the very best available.) No need to reinvent the wheel when you can build upon what everyone uses already.

More features that use more precious CPU time don't really get me excited. Easy composition rocks my world. My opinion :)

Mario piant style is a great idea, but if I did try somthing like that I would probably have to switch from just basic to something better (Not java).

Edited by Trip2018

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Awesome, I want to try it! :)

Well release date might be comming up soon, I just need to try to make bB a built in software for those who just want it for it's four channel stereo, and make a basic mode for those who like the to stick with two channel limitations.

Edited by Trip2018

Well release date might be comming up soon, I just need to try make bB a built in software for those who just want it for it's four channel stereo, and make a basic mode for those who like the to stick with two channel limitations.

Can you post any music binary using your 4 channel technique?

Will it play 4 sounds at the same time, or is the 2 extra channels for doing percussion and effects fitting in between notes?

Can you post any music binary using your 4 channel technique?

Will it play 4 sounds at the same time, or is the 2 extra channels for doing percussion and effects fitting in between notes?

Yeah I'm going to try to get a demo rom out soon. It will play 4 notes (sort of) at the same time (Two sounds every other frame). There is a catch though, it take about 14 to 18 variables (18 only if used with sdata).

Yeah I'm going to try to get a demo rom out soon. It will play 4 notes (sort of) at the same time (Two sounds every other frame). There is a catch though, it take about 14 to 18 variables (18 only if used with sdata).

Sounds good for a title screen. I'm not sure if it will butt heads with space needed for playfield data and sprites. bB programmers will have to find out :)

A single channel low CPU usage version would be amazing for in-game background music.

Sounds good for a title screen. I'm not sure if it will butt heads with space needed for playfield data and sprites. bB programmers will have to find out :)

A single channel low CPU usage version would be amazing for in-game background music.

You mean almost like how the multisprite kernel does it (using one channel to simulate two)? If that's the case it'll probably cost 8 (9 on sdata) variables.

You mean almost like how the multisprite kernel does it (using one channel to simulate two)? If that's the case it'll probably cost 8 (9 on sdata) variables.

Ideally something that uses one hardware channel for one tone. The DATA statement could just hold the frequency of a single note. Bonus points if the music engine is smart enough to pick the closest tone that 2600 can actually generate :)

Ideally something that uses one hardware channel for one tone. The DATA statement could just hold the frequency of a single note. Bonus points if the music engine is smart enough to pick the closest tone that 2600 can actually generate :)

It's accually based of randomterains bB music engine.

• Like 1