IGNORED

Open SAP file on native 8 bit atari

hectorrojasmery

There is Sapplayer (SapEmu) by Epi for Atari XL/XE with min. 128k RAM. Version 0.1 did not have a Directory option, so you had to remember all filenames on the disk, version 0.2 came with a directory option.

One should know, that SAP (especially on bigger computers) assumes that on the A8 full 64k is available, whereas in reality we have a max. of 62k available (minus the player program and other stuff), so not every SAP file that plays on the PC will also play on the A8...

SAP_examples.zip

SAPEMU1.XEX

SAPEMU2.XEX

• Like 2

I'm glad this topic came up!

I recently came across some .SAP files that look like a perfect match to some of the games that we all know and love. I was wanting to repurpose a few of these .SAP files in a new program. Do you happen to know if there are some good assembler playback routines that can be repurposed?

I'm also wondering how so many games were captured into that format. Was it something where they streamed out the POKEY registers in an emulator while a game was playing, or if it was easy to directly extract a compatible set of data from many game binaries? I'm wondering if the SAP format, more or less, ends up being a stream of 1/50th or 1/60th of a second interval with raw POKEY data?

Edited by jmccorm