IGNORED

tell the name of the game

Gernot

i made this "beautiful" clip of carl mueller's music & sound demo/test.

it contains - i expect all of the playlists - music from classic console games.

i stumbled over one i thought rightaway "i know this tune!".

do you know the game as well?

it's not an intellivision game but maybe it's the proper direction to search if you guess a little further.

i expect all the tunes are from this famous console, which beated imho many of the same aera (matter of choice).

unfortunately i have no ECS (hardware) so the tracks are played back only on three channels (without percussion).

of course i could have made the same clip using an emulator.

Edited by Gernot

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, Zendocon said:

I don't know about the sound effects, but the tunes are definitely from Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

The winner is...

Zendocon

the sfx are own creations of Carl Mueller Jr. i assume because the cheer is not exactly like the typical Intellivision cheer.

The rest of the games music he recycled i don't know but Alex i recognized immediately i played it very often.

Here's a little (very tiny) extra for you

2020-11-12_024906.png.0c725e776dd6c36d6f840498fb9c2e7e.png

The "Manneken Pis" for SC2K (but don't take this personal, i was searching for something special and this is special)

• Thanks 1

More music (i edited the post but it took to long)

Spoiler

This will be a little off topic but perhaps someone is interested in this crap.

It isn't the only Intellivision dedicated mod i created i made once also a Intellivised Golf course for TWPGA2000.

9 (+ 9 mirrored) holes which are often impossible to play for the AI (especially the heavy crooked "hole #5"), Golf AI are still stupid as an ant that's the reason why still most courses for games are almost straight and need no imagination to play and give no or only little options to play them different (as far as i know this hasn't changed, but the last golf i bought was twpga09, well i prefer the intellivision PGA or Chip Shot which i slowly learn to get better in what is called a "faith shot", means less detailed information and a first person sight in TWPGA09 is still easy compared to Chip Shot. Compared to Chip Shot most what i played is easy sometimes to easy). In this old game (twpg2000) the AI won't respect trees or obstacles and hacks in hole #5 continuously in the trees and won't give up until he reached the green in this manner, only sometimes it recognizes the error and plays after a out of bounds to the a bit far off the green target for the first stroke but mostly as long as it isn't out of bounds it plays straight through the forest (characters differ "Woods" plays a very unimaginative game while one of the characters plays it always proper and chooses a short iron club). You are advised in the course architect not to build such complicated holes because of the unimaginative play of the AI but i liked to recreate the Inty PGA layout as close as possible. The (TWPGA2000) "Intellivision Golf Course" is fun to play for a player but shit for the AI and there is no competition, likewise in the original you get rewarded for a risky play.

To the above "Streets" race track i have to say that it even leaks somewhat, the track designer in Streets is limited and intentionally the races would be battles, means it won't matter which position you have as long as you match the time between checkpoints, all of the additional things like messages and sfx i hacked into the once created course.

I'm still trying to figure out what is what in the course data, but at least i can position messages, sfx and i even managed it for one track to implement a crook which follows you, police and fining i haven't figured out proper yet also how exactly the cars specifications differ, some are lame and some are very fast but how exactly to influence this i still don't know. The track or scenario file would even allow to create a new career for the game if one would exactly know who is who, in the same manner as i position the messages you can position any item for the game. However the tracks are refined meanwhile and a new addition is the "Intellivision Autoracing" (city layout), the streets reflect the courses in "Autoracing" and lately i found out that if you have no gas stations there won't be no gas to refuel on the road - that is a good thing to have in this manner you can create a box with a gas station and if it's far enough off the course you can't refuel while racing (after the first couple of rounds). From this track i have made no clip yet, it's still under construction (gotta be special).

Well if you ever wondered how it is to race on the Intellivision Autoracing in first person sight...

Unlike for the above shown track which gives you all the needed time at start and no time bonus i made for "Autoracing" the time between checkpoints very tight and give only little time to start - mostly i lose.

BACK TO TOPIC

What i wonder is if Carl even composed the music for "Alex Kidd" and the rest of game music he presents in his "Music & Sound Demo".

And i will see (dunno when) what i can get out of it if i "midify" the tracks.

OFF TOPIC :)

Spoiler

I did such for "Commander Keen" Robert Prince's compositions are very good especially for the short duration of one minute, i.e. for "Holst, The Planets - Mars" he was able to catch the spirit in a single minute. They was composed as MIDI and have been stumped down to AdLib music, i captured (in this case extracted but a capture will also work) the music and rearranged the instruments. Similar should be possible if i run "INTVPC" in DOSBox and capture the output of the emulated OPL, or extract the commands of the demo (or games).

Let's go for "Commander Keen - Music & Sound Demo" :)

Of course it is of more interest to do the vice versa here, means to examine the tracks or convert them blatantly for a reuse in an Intellivision game, "Mars" (starts @ 30:00) should be the least problem and his tunes for "Keen" rarely use more as three channels.

So if one is interested just ask and i can upload the MIDI (or .imf) of episode 4,5 & 6.

FYI, the player i used for this DOS wrapper (it wraps the game, the idea is to start the game from this sort of UI which even asks for permission, while no worries three times the wrong answer will blow you to pieces - or even not) is "PX" which is in general the "Miles Sound Player" used for countless games. In principles it won't matter much which player passes the MIDI to the system the OS will interpret the MIDI, if you have a virtual MIDI synth then this will be exactly what it can offer based on the used soundfont. With the exception for the MT-32 and OPL play, they depend on a special instruments library (the FAT, OPL always, MT-32 sometimes) which only is interpreted proper by "XP" (the miles player) or "PX" (bristlehogs rewrite). Further Windows completely disregards the "sysex" commands it is not possible to program a MT-32 or even set the reverb proper for GS MIDI. DOSBoxECE and "PX" together with the emulated MT-32 or implemented Fluidsynth allows all this.

No you don't need to mention that the "SW - Imperial March" is a copy of "Mars, the bringer of war", it is besides a concert i listen quite often to.

I like it so much that i took the effort and searched for all the snippets of the concert as MIDI, with more or less good results.

"A Shikadi Aire" is the tune i like best here (@27:11).

That is such a cool tune most of it you won't hear played on the OPL, "Bobby" can make MIDI really sound alive (sure my rearrangement does its little but only little the accentuation is already there just not to hear in an OPL play).

At the end of the clip i used a different player software but it influences little, it's just to show it off because before i used "PX" "MegaMID" was my preferred player and i do prefer the play in a DOS environment over a play in WinAmp or Foobar, since both can't offer what DOSBox can offer for old games MIDI (even if it sounds the same it don't looks and feels the same). Similar to this wrapper i created a batch (this is a simple batch and a handful of tools, mostly a string manipulator) to play my MIDI in a special DOS player, mostly themed to the music i play in it, which is quite easy just drop some images in a given folder.

The project is unfortunately a bit broken since i always change some tidbits on it (i setup a special, rather funny and useless error message report this is what is recently broke most in my DOS environment, means instead to report errors it produces a lot of - shit happens - the idea was to copy the "guru meditation" of the Amiga OS it will or should show a similar message with some random sfx and a random selected quote but it's not easy to recognize the process which fails, each little helper batch needs an ID and there are many of them to create this stuff).