IGNORED

On The Switch Train (What Games Should I Try?)

TPA5

Finally got myself a Switch, and I've been playing a (borrowed) copy of BOTW for about 2-1/2 hours. (That game kicks so much ass.)

I'm already planning on getting Mario Odyssey and Skyrim at some point, but there's also so many indie titles on the eShop it's a lot of take in.

I'm curious which games (major releases or indies) you all are playing that are fun. I enjoy adventure games (like BOTW), and I don't mind things like platformers (but they have to be very well-done to engage me). Puzzle games are okay, but I'm an idiot so I often struggle with them.

I just got Wonderboy in the mail today, a must pick up. I can recommend some solid games that aren't just the obviously solid Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey (and MK8) which many would. Third parties have finally tried their ends off and did some amazing work so far and more to come.

Puzzles are kind of meh for me too outside of a nice run of Tetris and a few others. Do you have other preferences? Stern Pinball (gamestop physical release there only) is a nice one with around a dozen real tables. NIcalis has put up some amazing 'indie' level stuff of super quality and they do launch bundles with added goodies, but all still get a rare printed manual which is fantastic. I wouldn't do BOTW and Skyrim at the same time, pick one and go for it. Importing since it's in english, I Am Setsuna is a fantastic little RPG that kind of handles much like Chrono Trigger in combat, an 'engine' sequel just popped up called Lost Sphear too.

Zelda hands down. BOTW is the killer app for the Switch and this is coming from somebody that has never played any Zelda title before now.

I am definitely blown away by BOTW so far, hands-down one of my favorite Zelda games to date (Wind Waker and Oracle of Seasons being numbers 1 and 2, respectively)

Blaster Master for old school fun!

I never played it on the NES, it looks like a good reboot so I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

I just got Wonderboy in the mail today, a must pick up. I can recommend some solid games that aren't just the obviously solid Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey (and MK8) which many would. Third parties have finally tried their ends off and did some amazing work so far and more to come.

Puzzles are kind of meh for me too outside of a nice run of Tetris and a few others. Do you have other preferences? Stern Pinball (gamestop physical release there only) is a nice one with around a dozen real tables. NIcalis has put up some amazing 'indie' level stuff of super quality and they do launch bundles with added goodies, but all still get a rare printed manual which is fantastic. I wouldn't do BOTW and Skyrim at the same time, pick one and go for it. Importing since it's in english, I Am Setsuna is a fantastic little RPG that kind of handles much like Chrono Trigger in combat, an 'engine' sequel just popped up called Lost Sphear too.

I enjoy racing games, some light strategy games, adventure games, FPS's, RPG's. Most genres of games I can get behind, besides puzzlers.

Skyrim I've already put hundreds of hours into, but I can't resist being able to play it on a portable console. But, I'm not chomping at the bit to snag that one yet since I have it on PC.

I'll check out I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, I really enjoy RPG's in the vein of Chrono Trigger (provided they aren't too grind-heavy).

Thanks for the great suggestions! So far I am digging the Switch hard, it feels like Nintendo is finally returning to the company I loved growing up.

I enjoy racing games, some light strategy games, adventure games, FPS's, RPG's. Most genres of games I can get behind, besides puzzlers.

Skyrim I've already put hundreds of hours into, but I can't resist being able to play it on a portable console. But, I'm not chomping at the bit to snag that one yet since I have it on PC.

I'll check out I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear, I really enjoy RPG's in the vein of Chrono Trigger (provided they aren't too grind-heavy).

Thanks for the great suggestions! So far I am digging the Switch hard, it feels like Nintendo is finally returning to the company I loved growing up.

Ok that helps. The 2 RPGs aren't grind heavy at all, nothing like say dragon quest stuff at all. I know some of it is a re-run if you had it, but things that are cheaper like the Nicalis stuff (Cave Story, Isaac, Tiny Barbarian) are solid picks if you like the style of the games as would Retro City Rampage DX if you can find it. I'd suggest that SF2 game from Capcom but in a few months give or take a huge SF package comes with many series titles on one card. You have Skyrim and Zelda so that's covered. As Jin colorfully put up there DOOM is a solid choice too for your same on the go reasoning. Stuff like LA Noire and other console carry overs are typically good picks. Pinball fan? Stern Pinball Arcade has a nice set of games on there copying original hardware and gamestop only got the physical release rights annoyingly.

If you like some Lego or Lego-ish style stuff there are a few of those Lego theme games, but also Lego City Undercover which is just crazy good if you want a goofball GTA kind of like style game. But also in that world falls Minecraft and like builders. Portal Knights came out yesterday and it's amazingly good. There's also the similar Dragon Quest Builders, both being a mix of builder and RPG.

That I am a fan though that's bias, but I think people would generally agree there are a lot of solid ACA/Hamster releases from the Neo-Geo arcade family you may want to drop some coin into. Of them all though Neo Turf Masters due to the amount of courses and time and player choices involved probably would go the farthest, but there are a good list of solid shooters, brawlers and obviously fighters.

Ok that helps. The 2 RPGs aren't grind heavy at all, nothing like say dragon quest stuff at all. I know some of it is a re-run if you had it, but things that are cheaper like the Nicalis stuff (Cave Story, Isaac, Tiny Barbarian) are solid picks if you like the style of the games as would Retro City Rampage DX if you can find it. I'd suggest that SF2 game from Capcom but in a few months give or take a huge SF package comes with many series titles on one card. You have Skyrim and Zelda so that's covered. As Jin colorfully put up there DOOM is a solid choice too for your same on the go reasoning. Stuff like LA Noire and other console carry overs are typically good picks. Pinball fan? Stern Pinball Arcade has a nice set of games on there copying original hardware and gamestop only got the physical release rights annoyingly.

If you like some Lego or Lego-ish style stuff there are a few of those Lego theme games, but also Lego City Undercover which is just crazy good if you want a goofball GTA kind of like style game. But also in that world falls Minecraft and like builders. Portal Knights came out yesterday and it's amazingly good. There's also the similar Dragon Quest Builders, both being a mix of builder and RPG.

That I am a fan though that's bias, but I think people would generally agree there are a lot of solid ACA/Hamster releases from the Neo-Geo arcade family you may want to drop some coin into. Of them all though Neo Turf Masters due to the amount of courses and time and player choices involved probably would go the farthest, but there are a good list of solid shooters, brawlers and obviously fighters.

Lego City Undercover looks great, I hadn't seen it until now. I'll definitely pick that up.

I haven't played any Nicalis stuff so I'll look at that, same with DOOM and Retro City Rampage. LA Noire always looked interesting too, but I never bought it.

Pinballs are fun too, though I'm usually pretty picky about the physics.

Dragon Quest Builders did look fun, and while I haven't extensively explored the series I am familiar with it. Got pretty good reviews too so it's on my list.

Never played Neo Turf Masters, but I really enjoy golf games - very relaxing.

This has given me a lot to explore, I appreciate it!

I'll plug a couple of Switch games. First Xenoblades Chronicles 2. Great JRPG with a good story and unique combat system. While the game has a few flaws, they've improved the game greatly with the recent patches.

The other game is Golf Story. Imagine a mash-up of Mario Golf with an RPG and you have Golf Story. A quirky, fun, indie game for the switch.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

i'm bumping this since i just joined the Switch club, too- woohoo. :D

I picked up 'Lets Go, Eevee!' last night with my switch cos i wasn't sure if i would like the Tennis game- that being said, are there any titles that have been released since February that are total 'omg, you have to play this' type games?

I'm not overfond of 3D type platforms like Mario Odyssey, but I will give pretty much any game a shake.

Thanks in advance!

Some of my favorites so far:

-Owlboy: Metroidvania-type of game with some of the best pixel art known to man. Story is really good, and the gameplay is rewarding.

-Golf Story: Highly recommended. I can't stand real golf, but I love golf games. This one is one of the best ever made, and the added story and humor elements really make this one a must-have.

-The Messenger: Just picked this one up last week, and it's great. Old school side-scrolling action title with Metroidvania-style elements. The action and control is perfect, and the game has some of the funniest moments I've seen in a game.

-Sonic Mania Plus: It's the best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles. Hell, it might be better!

-Blaster Master Zero: It's a great modernized take on the original. If you liked that one, you will love this.

-Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon: This is basically an old-school Castlevania title in everything but the name. If you liked Castlevania III, this one's for you, as it's very similar.

-Hollow Knight: Another Metroidvania title (I like those, can't you tell?). This one has a really interesting setting and style, and it is HARD.

You've already found BotW, and that's a good one and the main reason I bought a Switch. Super Mario Odyssey is simply one of the best, if not THE best, 3D platformers ever made. It impressed the hell out of me when I played it!

Edited by Silverfleet
  • Like 2

Yeah they're basically handheld conversions, but the Bethesda and From Software stuff (Dark Souls, Doom, Skyrim) are all very safe bets for a crap load of hours of stuff to do, very exceptionally well assembled, and much to do that really does highlight how nice the thing can be on the more 'real' spectrum of things away from the colorful worlds of 2D retro, ahd the softer tones of Mario and Zelda.

The list directly above I'd basically agree with as well, though I think it would be foolish to ignore Mega Man 11.

The Square-Enix RPG entries (Octopath, Setsuna, Sphear) are all excellent safe bets to play with, especially Octopath Traveler. Depending on your feelings of the company and their takes on Final Fantasy you have a nice game there in 15 Pocket Edition, and 12 HD is popping up (physical release) shortly too.

Code of Princess if you never had it on 3DS, same could be said with Retro City Rampage DX are another good set of choices.

• Like 1

Yeah they're basically handheld conversions, but the Bethesda and From Software stuff (Dark Souls, Doom, Skyrim) are all very safe bets for a crap load of hours of stuff to do, very exceptionally well assembled, and much to do that really does highlight how nice the thing can be on the more 'real' spectrum of things away from the colorful worlds of 2D retro, ahd the softer tones of Mario and Zelda.

The list directly above I'd basically agree with as well, though I think it would be foolish to ignore Mega Man 11.

The Square-Enix RPG entries (Octopath, Setsuna, Sphear) are all excellent safe bets to play with, especially Octopath Traveler. Depending on your feelings of the company and their takes on Final Fantasy you have a nice game there in 15 Pocket Edition, and 12 HD is popping up (physical release) shortly too.

Code of Princess if you never had it on 3DS, same could be said with Retro City Rampage DX are another good set of choices.

I did leave off Mega Man 11. I have it, but I'm having a hell of a time with it. The presentation is good, but it's one tough game. I consider myself a seasoned Mega Man player, and I was only able to complete one stage so far! It's by no means a bad game.

Ok so I'm not crazy thinking it's pretty tricky. I'm ex-seasoned, haven't taken one seriously since the 90s. I put it on I guess easy (there's easy, normal, hard, and ARGH I think) and I still have trouble with the mid-boss and bosses, but the stages aren't too bad. I'd put it at like Mega Man 2 hard. I was wanting to take it easy the first time and it still surprised me. I got lucky and picked one at random to start with and it was the one the buster worked nicely with and dumb luck retained the next one I took down was the balloon man guy and the item I picked up was his death blow in like a few hits which was amusing. I'm thinking it's not that bad, if you have the right mid and full boss weakness attack on hand, otherwise it's nasty with the pea shooter.

Thank you everybody for also having issues on Mega Man 11! I got kinda frustrated, and I'm just on the normal difficulty. I got to the first stage of Wily's castle, tried a few times, and I haven't been back since. It's a great game on many levels, but it is VERY unforgiving. I'd say it's basically impossible without the slowdown (Speed Gear). Got very frustrated on several bosses as they go from "Holy balls this is hard." to "That was a pushover" (when using the weakness).

MM11 aside... I mostly play some of the small indie titles that I feel are good for portability and also are easier to pick up and put down at random. Aside from the obvious AAA titles by Nintendo, I'd back the following games:

• Darkest Dungeon - Dungeon crawler with a lovecraftian edge. It's pretty challenging, but it's a lot of fun.
  • Shovel Knight - Looooove Shovel Knight~ I'm waiting on the full collection physical release that's early next year, but you can get digital which is the full package now
  • Blaster Master Zero - Just gonna throw another vote on this. Very fun.
  • Sonic Mania - Some of the best Sonic since the Genesis days. It's so close to the original games you might feel confused.
  • Freedom Planet - A nice "speedy" platformer (think Sonic) if you want more Sonic or something Sonic-like but not actually Sonic?
  • Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon clone but better (than current Harvest Moon games). You farm, you explore, you mine, and make friends with the towns people.
  • Octopath Traveller - Throwing another vote on this. It's great RPG action! Think a mix between Final Fantasy 6 and Bravely Default.
  • Undertale - Kind of an odd-ball RPG. Combat does a "bullet hell" style similar to SHMUPs. This game is very much about the music, characters, and story.
  • Cave Story - I mean... Nothing wrong with playing Cave Story again?
  • Bayonetta / Bayonetta 2 - This is just a great package that contains two great games. It's Devil May Cry style (3D action beat 'um up with boss fights and minor platforming and puzzles?). Story is crazy but entertaining.

That's all I can really think of at the moment. I am probably missing a few titles as I don't play my Switch as often as I'd like to. I'll list up more later if I can think of any.

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

Going to be joining the Switch family soon, as I've come to realize I'm missing out on a lot more than just Mario type games.

Apparently the selection of indie titles and retro classics for download is awesome. This wasn't very clear to me; it may be my fault, but honestly I'm going to blame game companies for not making it clearer what they have to offer. When I would Google "Nintendo Switch retro games" I would consistently get a list of NES games (which I'm not personally into). Their menu simply isn't easy to navigate. But whatever, I finally figured out there's much they've got to offer, you just have to spend time scrolling on their site. :)

Looking forward to: Moon Patrol, Punch-Out, Renegade, Donkey Kong, Wild Guns Reloaded, Katamari Damacy ReRoll, Ultra Street Fighter, Arms, Gunbird, Toki RetroCollector, Aero Fighters 2, Tengai, and I'm sure I'll find many more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think Super Mario Odyssey is well worth picking up. My son needled me for a month to play his copy and i ended up putting 15-18 hours in over the course of the last 5 days ;) The controls for the most part are spot-on, and the graphics/sound are simply fantastic.

I also really enjoyed my playthrough of 'Let's Go, Eevee!', if she's in to that sort of game. The only other games I have are Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero and Diablo 3- I like me a good game of Diablo (plus it's pretty fun on the go).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally jumped on board the Switch train, thanks in part to the current special deal of getting $35 in online game credit with the purchase of a new Switch (you have to get one with the $35 bonus sticker on the box). As game system buying experiences go mine was not the best (stressful day, store was very crowded, hard to find all the goodies etc), but once I got into it and got myself used to some of the quirks everything has been just wonderful.

Really enjoying Ultra SF II, just love the art and the sound effects. It's the same Street Fighter II as ever in ways and I do wish there were a few new / more interesting characters... But on the other hand, with the Pro Controller this is one of the best classic SFII experiences you can have IMO. I still prefer SF Alpha 2 as my favorite SF of all time, but this one is going to get a LOT of play from me.

The arcade classics I have grabbed so far are bringing me greater joy than I ever imagined. Not even sure why since I could and have played these on Mame for decades.

But Front Line (which just came out) is just great with the Switch's controls. I was laughing very hard at how difficult it is, and how silly, and yet how fun. I persevered until I was able to complete the first level (no small task!), and was rewarded by seeing I was (am?) ranked 19th IN THE WHOLE WORLD with my not so hot score :P Really tells you how few people have bought this one more than anything :D

Moon Patrol has been a wonderful treat. We all know it's a classic, but keep in mind this title hasn't appeared for any modern system in AGES. IDK what happened with the licensing, but it disappeared from the Midway Arcade groups even before the first Original Xbox / PS2 compilations came out. I had it on an old PC Midway Arcade Classics disc, but that doesn't even run on Windows :P So whatever caused it to be picked up and available now, I'm very glad. It has been a ton of fun, I've found I've much more patience to keep continuing when playing with a wireless controller on my couch vs my Mame setup (using a wired gamepad at my office desk), and I thoroughly enjoyed progressing all the way through (with many continues!) the first circuit, and receiving the (ooooh!) Red vehicle for the 2nd circuit. :)

Punch-Out is great fun, but REALLY hard. I can only assume it's that my timing is off, but I am getting beaten up far too often. I finally got my timing down so I can punch Bald Bull out of his Bull Rush about 90% of the time with the left jab (right after the second step!), but now Kid Quick is taking it to me, used to have no trouble with him.

Really enjoying ARMS, and need to get more time into this one. It's a triple A title for a reason, funny and spectacular to look at. The controls are neat, and it's a very interesting concept. Kind of feels in ways like a cross between Power Stone, Punch Out, and Virtual On or something. It wasn't cheap ($60), but all the top Nintendo games don't seem to really ever go on discount.

Got a Wish List about a mile long right now, including not only cheap arcade classics, but stuff that's been mentioned here (Octopath Traveler, Master Blaster, Golf Story) as well as a huge amount of interesting weird stuff (Feudal Alloy, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Katamari, Toki Retrocollectors, Wild Guns Reloaded, Captain Toad, Valkyria Chronicles, Moonlighter, Son of a Witch, and some other oddities I need to look more into). Just really glad I got on the train, as this odd game system is making me very happy (if likely to bankrupt me in the near future!)

• Like 2

Finally jumped on board the Switch train, thanks in part to the current special deal of getting $35 in online game credit with the purchase of a new Switch (you have to get one with the $35 bonus sticker on the box). As game system buying experiences go mine was not the best (stressful day, store was very crowded, hard to find all the goodies etc), but once I got into it and got myself used to some of the quirks everything has been just wonderful.

Really enjoying Ultra SF II, just love the art and the sound effects. It's the same Street Fighter II as ever in ways and I do wish there were a few new / more interesting characters... But on the other hand, with the Pro Controller this is one of the best classic SFII experiences you can have IMO. I still prefer SF Alpha 2 as my favorite SF of all time, but this one is going to get a LOT of play from me.

The arcade classics I have grabbed so far are bringing me greater joy than I ever imagined. Not even sure why since I could and have played these on Mame for decades.

But Front Line (which just came out) is just great with the Switch's controls. I was laughing very hard at how difficult it is, and how silly, and yet how fun. I persevered until I was able to complete the first level (no small task!), and was rewarded by seeing I was (am?) ranked 19th IN THE WHOLE WORLD with my not so hot score :P Really tells you how few people have bought this one more than anything :D

Moon Patrol has been a wonderful treat. We all know it's a classic, but keep in mind this title hasn't appeared for any modern system in AGES. IDK what happened with the licensing, but it disappeared from the Midway Arcade groups even before the first Original Xbox / PS2 compilations came out. I had it on an old PC Midway Arcade Classics disc, but that doesn't even run on Windows :P So whatever caused it to be picked up and available now, I'm very glad. It has been a ton of fun, I've found I've much more patience to keep continuing when playing with a wireless controller on my couch vs my Mame setup (using a wired gamepad at my office desk), and I thoroughly enjoyed progressing all the way through (with many continues!) the first circuit, and receiving the (ooooh!) Red vehicle for the 2nd circuit. :)

Punch-Out is great fun, but REALLY hard. I can only assume it's that my timing is off, but I am getting beaten up far too often. I finally got my timing down so I can punch Bald Bull out of his Bull Rush about 90% of the time with the left jab (right after the second step!), but now Kid Quick is taking it to me, used to have no trouble with him.

Really enjoying ARMS, and need to get more time into this one. It's a triple A title for a reason, funny and spectacular to look at. The controls are neat, and it's a very interesting concept. Kind of feels in ways like a cross between Power Stone, Punch Out, and Virtual On or something. It wasn't cheap ($60), but all the top Nintendo games don't seem to really ever go on discount.

Got a Wish List about a mile long right now, including not only cheap arcade classics, but stuff that's been mentioned here (Octopath Traveler, Master Blaster, Golf Story) as well as a huge amount of interesting weird stuff (Feudal Alloy, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Katamari, Toki Retrocollectors, Wild Guns Reloaded, Captain Toad, Valkyria Chronicles, Moonlighter, Son of a Witch, and some other oddities I need to look more into). Just really glad I got on the train, as this odd game system is making me very happy (if likely to bankrupt me in the near future!)

Always glad to hear when someone really enjoys their Switch!

I bought mine at the end of November 2018 and it's logged a ton of hours played- in fact my wife saw me play mine so much she ended up with one in January and that's all she's played, too, lol. Our XBox One S is now sad and sits in our entertainment center only to be a glorified video-streaming machine. ;)

Give Dead Cells a look-see too if you've not read much about it and like rogue-like games (that happen to be platformers). I borrowed my wife's copy last weekend and ended up putting several hours in it much to her dismay, lol. Her comment was 'What have I done? You need your own copy'.

• Like 1