IGNORED

Chinese Game Gear? Dark Blue?

MNiceGuy

Hi everyone,

I go through a lot of Game Gears and feel that I'm very familiar with them. Recently I acquired a couple, one blue and one grey, which showed "Made in China" on the back label. I found it strange as up until then I was used to seeing Japan, Taiwan, and Malaysia as the country of origin.

I opened them up and found they had Japanese VA1 (837-9024) motherboards. The grey one has a different texture on the shell (slightly rougher) but the color is generally the same. The blue one has the same texture difference but is a darker blue than the others I have on hand (Japanese manufacture if I recall). It's bordering on more of a navy blue. Interestingly the screws for the motherboard and shell have a courser thread compared to my other examples.

I wasn't aware Game Gears were manufactured in China up until now. I've also never seen another dark blue one in my travels. Everything seems legit and after a full cap replacement they look and work just like any of the others I've refurbished.

What's the story on these? I will try to get some pictures up once I get home and get a little time.

Edited by MNiceGuy