IGNORED

Original XBOX HDMI Cable Review - 100% Plug & Play - No mod needed

Metal Jesus

Connect your old Xbox to the HDMI port on your television without the use of any adapters or power supplies, just plug and play. Important to know that it doesn't upscale, but simply converts the component signal to HDMI. I test it with a bunch of games including some that run at 480P, 480i, 720P and 1080i. This is my review with gameplay footage.

• Like 2

For the price it is something I may get. However, I should point out that an internal mod may be the absolute best way to get the best video. The reason, based on my personal hacking experience on the console, is that the raw digital video signals, prior to being processed into the analog video signals through the main video chip, and regardless of game, are always going to be a minimum of 480p. This is odd because certain games, like Hitman 2, only do 480i so that's a head scratcher to me. So, to me, tapping into those signals is going to get the best results and, if done right, you can still use the original AV port for the other signals (actually you need to use it anyway because it sets the video chip and if you leave it open the console probably won't run). As for Enter the Matrix, that glitch is probably the game because it had to be rushed out to make a specific deadline to coincide with the release of The Matrix Reloaded because it explained certain things that happens in the movie and was meant to be played shortly after you saw it. It also included some teaser footage of The Matrix Revolutions which was another reason to release it at a specific timeframe. A nice experiment but the game was a disappointment.

Edited by RARusk

Great price!

I wonder if you can get actual Dolby 5.1 out of the xbox with this over a modern receiver.

It always ticked me off that Microsoft advertised "Dolby Digital" for the original Xbox but only had composite out for audio. How the heck did they get away with that?

I know there were third party component cables that had an optical digital out but geez....not an easy solution for most people who probably rocked composite stereo for most of the systems lifespan.

For the price it is something I may get. However, I should point out that an internal mod may be the absolute best way to get the best video. The reason, based on my personal hacking experience on the console, is that the raw digital video signals, prior to being processed into the analog video signals through the main video chip, and regardless of game, are always going to be a minimum of 480p. This is odd because certain games, like Hitman 2, only do 480i so that's a head scratcher to me. So, to me, tapping into those signals is going to get the best results and, if done right, you can still use the original AV port for the other signals (actually you need to use it anyway because it sets the video chip and if you leave it open the console probably won't run). As for Enter the Matrix, that glitch is probably the game because it had to be rushed out to make a specific deadline to coincide with the release of The Matrix Reloaded because it explained certain things that happens in the movie and was meant to be played shortly after you saw it. It also included some teaser footage of The Matrix Revolutions which was another reason to release it at a specific timeframe. A nice experiment but the game was a disappointment.

I've done some basic research and maybe will have pure digital solution at some point on the xbox. But I plan to tackle the ps2 first. Just got an ADV7513 dev board to play with.

Looks like they just stuffed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-N3CVRHP-Component-Converter-support/dp/B003VJ9RP6/

into an all in one cable. I imagine they're tapping the +12V on the XBOX video pinout to power the converter. Not a bad idea, I wonder how the quality compares between a cheap standalone and this thing.

Edited by keepdreamin

Gotta say, not a fan of the contrast, although I wonder if by switching to a "game" setting on the TV, you might get a more vivid picture?

I have my TV set to Game and that could be why I didn't notice the video difference when actually playing the games on the screen. It was only until I compared Elgato game capture footage that I saw the slight differences.

Connect your old Xbox to the HDMI port on your television without the use of any adapters or power supplies, just plug and play. Important to know that it doesn't upscale, but simply converts the component signal to HDMI. I test it with a bunch of games including some that run at 480P, 480i, 720P and 1080i. This is my review with gameplay footage.

Neat video as usual, but would it kill you to place a quick URL in the text of your posts so we don't have to hunt around for a link to buy??? Same thing with the Gamecube HDMI adapter vid- great videos of yours, but they always leave me wondering where the Hell do I go to actually buy it. I know somebody posted a link down below, but please keep the idea in mind for future posts :)

Neat video as usual, but would it kill you to place a quick URL in the text of your posts so we don't have to hunt around for a link to buy??? Same thing with the Gamecube HDMI adapter vid- great videos of yours, but they always leave me wondering where the Hell do I go to actually buy it. I know somebody posted a link down below, but please keep the idea in mind for future posts :)

Sorry about that. I put the links in the YouTube video descriptions...but I leave them out here cuz I didn't wanna be accused of trying to sell stuff... or hock stuff ;)

• Like 1

Sorry about that. I put the links in the YouTube video descriptions...but I leave them out here cuz I didn't wanna be accused of trying to sell stuff... or hock stuff ;)

We know you're just providing a heads-up by posting these, to which purchasing links are very useful. It's also easier than having to go through YouTube.

While this is pretty cool, I would prefer that they just make an adapter similar to the ones I've seen for the Wii and PS2 which plug into the back of the unit, and you plug your own HDMI cable into it. That way you can provide whichever length of HDMI that you need as I can tell that this one would not be long enough for me. It's a minor complaint because ultimately, you end up with the same thing if you just use an HDMI extension.

Currently I have no use for this because most of my systems are running component to an older CRT TV. However, I assume that some day I will decide to drop the 2 TV gaming setup in favor of having everything on an HD TV. It's nice to know that many of my systems can be converted to HDMI is some way now, and maybe all of them will have the option eventually.

The cable has pretty much vanished, aside from one being sold on eBay for the extortionate price of $120. Anyone know if these will be available again in the near future? I mean, without pawning a kidney for it.

According to my Amazon stats, 23,466 people clicked the link in my video description to check out the adapter... so I'm sure many of those ended up buying it at such a reasonable price. That said, the company Pound (who makes it) emailed me after the video went live and said they are just overwhelmed right now. Funny thing is, I tried to reach out to them before releasing the video to give them a heads up...but they don't have a website and contact info was impossible to find.

Some "mixed reviews" on amazon so far. They should bump up the quality/consistency for version 2.0.

I wonder how many of those are people with AV equipment that doesn't accept or work well with non-HD resolutions being sent over HDMI? I ran into that with my Onkyo receiver, but once I plugged the cable straight into the HDTV, worked flawlessly. Only way around that is to build an upscaler into it, which introduces all sorts of other issues...

Looks like there's a new style of HDMI adapter for the original Wii.

https://www.hyperkin.com/wii-hd-cable-hyperkin.html

It's Hyperkin, so probably not going to be too great. But it would be nice to see some respected outlets around here at AtariAge put it through its paces like we've seen with this Xbox cable.

Existing HDMI dongles for the Wii all tend to look alike, but often have significantly different capabilities and varying levels of quality. Mine for instance upscales and has a pinhole switch to change between 480p and 720p, where as most just convert analog to digital and otherwise pass it through unchanged. Yet mine looks identical to all the others.

And instead of system-specific solutions, are universal component to HDMI adapters that work well without costing a small fortune even a thing? HD Retrovision makes such a claim, but conveniently doesn't post any product suggestions for their component cable customers or stock their recommended product in their online store. And Amazon reviews for the adapters I've checked out always seem like a mixed bag.

Edited by Atariboy

I wouldn't have known about this cable if it weren't for this video... but at the same time, this video is why I can't actually buy one. Ironic, that. Oh well, looks like it's back to component for me!

You're not missing much... This HDMI cable outputs at the same resolutions (480p/720p/1080i) as component cables w/o any upscaling to 1080p. In fact I have a cable box hooked to component because it maxes out to 1080i, so I'm not wasting a HDMI port that can be use for a device that does output at 1080p.

But if you have a HDMI only TV or need to use a capture card then yeah this cable is useful...once they revamp reproduction for more.

See, the thing is, I have a component cable, but it's kind of crappy. The picture isn't as crisp as it should be and it looks like there's slight dot crawl on my monitor. I ordered a Monster component cable from another AtariAge member; hopefully that will be an improvement.

I wouldn't have known about this cable if it weren't for this video... but at the same time, this video is why I can't actually buy one. Ironic, that. Oh well, looks like it's back to component for me!

I got an email from Pound, and it's a mix of overwhelming popularity as well as a Chinese holiday as to why they are now out of stock, but they assured me more are coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...