IGNORED

Original XBOX HDMI Cable Review - 100% Plug & Play - No mod needed

Metal Jesus

On my 4K set if I feed it 480p it non-integer scales it to 2160p. Not very desirable, a 4.5x scale on the vertical.

However, if I run 480p through an OSSC and double it to 960p, my set doubles that to 1920p with thin black bars to fill the image out to 2160p. Much better!

Doing this with Wii 480p games utterly destroys playing them on a Wii U (chroma sampling issues and internal non-integer scaling of the vWii mode regardless of overscan settings or output mode, and that's before the set gets ahold of it!)

This Xbox adapter (and Gamecube HDMI solutions), ideally, at some point we will see models that will scale the image in a windowboxed fashion to 1080p and 4K.

Hey, I can dream.

Edited by Beer Monkey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I do have one of these cables now, thanks to another AtariAge member. It's not bad! I mean, it doesn't do anything not already available in the Monster component cable, but it's more compact. Monster's cable was thick and stiff... it felt like you were connecting a garden hose to the back of your system, especially since it's green.

• 2 weeks later...

These are available on Amazon again. A few quick questions before I pull the trigger.

-Do they require a power supply? I notice a USB mini power plug on the converter box

-Will Dolby Digital sound transfer through the HDMI cable? Has anyone tested this?

Thanks!

Their website states it doesn't support Dolby.

I bought an adapter a while back that added an optical output which you then plugged your AV cables into. Works fine with my component cable, so I imagine it would for the HDMI cable too.

Unfortunately the eBay seller I bought it from doesn't seem to have anything online at the moment.