IGNORED

The Raspberry Pi and Retropie discussion thread

toptenmaterial

I ordered a 5v/3A power supply as recommended on different sites. That should help eliminate the lightning bolt. :)

The lightning bolt is a lie

so I had a pi 3 which ended up in my coleco chameleon and I had it hooked up to my 5 amp "lab grade" power supply with the current limit wide ass open getting the lightning bolt constantly while not even drawing 2 amp with a wireless controller and an SSD plugged into it @ 5 volts

so if you had a 1000 amp 5 volt lead acid battery you would still get the lightning bolt, it has nothing to do with current its the voltage drop going across their extremely primitive and questionable protection, why is why if you look at most PI power supplies its 5.2 5.3 volts

of course its more than happy to send that overvolt direct to its preferials and headers as the protection cant handle its full intended load, is it in tolerance .. yea but its still sketchy and a poor power delivery design .. buy hey we got that almost 1 dollar TRRS analog av output in its place (that hardly anyone uses as its just a blurry mess at 640x480)

ps: the supply I used in my coleco had the same problem, 3 amp 5 volt mean well supply, had to over volt it to 5.3 to stop the nag icon

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

So I had to make an Amazon order for random stuff.... so I snuck a 3B+ when my wife wasnt looking. Im so ashamed...

If you have a kid just tell your wife it's for a STEM project. My son writes scratch programs for his robot. I made a retropie SD image for my son's GoPiGo robot. My son loves that he can swap SD cards, hook up his robot to the TV/game controller and play video games!

My wife was not thrilled but at least I got my retropie robot to play video games.

gopigoheader.jpg

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

There are worse mistakes that you can make within a marriage, my friend.

Yes... I AM divorced after all so I know what it is like to be wrong. ALL THE TIME. :lol:

For example!!! I ordered a Pi B+ instead of a Pi 3B+. Stupid fast fingers ordering before reading thoroughly. So that one is going back and the new one is already on order. Should have it Thursday-ish. Revel in my stupidity!! I know I am...

• Like 1

I got my first RPi 3 last week and set it up with Retropie on Saturday. The process was pretty easy. I have to say that the input lag is TERRIBLE, and I'm using a low latency monitor. I'm feeling like it was a waste of $50.

It wasn't. There are steps you can take to reduce lag. I had lag issues but solved them.

I use a wired PS4 controller so no blu tooth. I also did invest in the lowest lag monitor that I could find, it was a Viewsonic and cost about $130. If all else fails you can hook it up to your CTR, there is an output and you can get a Zune cable (they still make them) for about $5. I have one I can mail you if you want. I went from the lag making most games unenjoyable to only noticing it on certain games, and rarely.

Got the 3 B Plus in today. Surprised it came in so fast. :)

I see a difference already though I only tested a few games. Tomorrow I will try a few more games that didn't run well on the 3 B - maybe a few PSP games. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my Pi 3 case. The new 4-pin connector on the board blocks the case from snapping together. Oh well... I guess I'll have to put the new board in the Super Kuma 9000 when it comes in. :)

• Like 1

Got the 3 B Plus in today. Surprised it came in so fast. :)

I see a difference already though I only tested a few games. Tomorrow I will try a few more games that didn't run well on the 3 B - maybe a few PSP games. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my Pi 3 case. The new 4-pin connector on the board blocks the case from snapping together. Oh well... I guess I'll have to put the new board in the Super Kuma 9000 when it comes in. :)

What differences do you see in terms of performance?

So last night was a tired, un-scientific and "excited to have it" post. First off I have never O/C'd the 3B and I am not doing it to the 3B+ either so stock 1.2GHz and 1.4GHz respectively. The RAM is the same at 1GB and the GPU is the same as well.

Here's some better data than the "It's awesome and better than buttered toast!!" posting I put up last night:

Right out of the gate let me say this: I guess a small 200MHz increase can make a difference. :)

Boot times (started timer as soon as I pushed the power button):

3B+

32GB card and RetroPie 4.3.15 image only - 24sec

32GB card and 256GB USB (90GB used) - 1min 45sec

3B

32GB card and RetroPie 4.3 image only - 25sec

32GB card and 256GB USB (90GB used) - 2min 4sec

PS1 Destruction Derby 2 and Gran Turismo 2 ran flawlessly as long as you didn't use vibration feedback. On the 3B I would get a frame hesitation here and there - extremely minor almost not worth mentioning. On the 3B+ there was nothing TO mention. I saw nothing. Smooth running. :)

The scraper did MUCH better on the 3B+. Last time I set up I used the built-in scraper from the menu and scraped 41 Playstation games. I watched an episode of Friends on Netflix and started a 2nd before I finished. On the 3B+ I did all of them in 5min 27sec. The WiFi is vastly improved on the 3B+ and it shows.

PING yahoo.com on 3B: avg 65.405 ms with 20 packets sent 0% loss

PING yahoo.com on 3B+: avg 32.190 ms with 21 packets sent 0% loss

On a personal note I have 2 PS3 controllers - one white and one black. I already paired the black one with the 3B. I left that alone and paired the white one with the 3B+. Nice to have and easily differentiated!

As an aside: HOLY HELL IN A HANDBASKET! I can boot from a USB stick or drive instead of investing in crappy SD cards??

Edited by ClassicGMR
  • Like 1

Picked up my first Raspberry Pi (3 B+) last night and promptly loaded Stella and a few of my favorite ROMs. Also ordered a 2600-daptor II. I can't wait! :)

Hah. Likewise :thumbsup: Bit the bullet yesterday. Pi 3 B+ with heatsinks. Running 2600/7800/NES/SNES/Genesis/32x via Retropie. You'll need the new beta Image of Retropie to run it on the B+. Also got my 8bitdo N30 Pro controller set-up via bluetooth. The N30 Pro needed the latest firmware update to get my R2/L2 buttons to register under config. Plays flawless, but it's only been 24hrs so early days yet. Gr8 little bit of retro console supplementary kit. Also still waiting on my adaptor to knock at the door (Retronic one though) :)

Edited by spriggamortis
  • Like 1

After trying off-and-on to get my Retropie working on a CRT, I found that somebody made some custom shaders that make it work *much* better.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/11628/240p-and-mame-scaling

Basically - the Retropie can do 240p over composite if you have the right cable (like a Zune AV cable). But since it can't do all the custom timings and so on, stuff like SNES games end up with either the wrong aspect ratio (because they run at 256x224) or bad scrolling artifacts (from trying to scale that 256 pixels to 320x240.)

The directions on here include the shaders that cleaned up all of those scrolling artifacts and make it look ... well, about as good as you'd expect a classic game system running on composite to look. Haven't gotten to try it on my 27" Trinitron yet to see if it stays acceptable, but I think it'll work well enough to tide me over until I can get the actual systems.