IGNORED

The Raspberry Pi and Retropie discussion thread

toptenmaterial

Well I'm mostly happy about this: RetroPie 4.4 is out and it's no longer on the Jessie builds. For me, there's some improvements I see that would make it worth updating.

RetroPie 4.4 is out, bringing with it Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ support via our new Raspbian Stretch based images. Raspbian Jessie is no longer receiving firmware and kernel updates, so the move to the new version was required.

For RPI users it is recommended to start from a fresh image with this update. It is possible to upgrade the system from Jessie to Stretch but there have been reports of issues by some people when doing so.

If wanting to use WiFi on the new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, you will need to first configure the WiFi Country via raspi-config before it will work. It’s under menu 4 of raspi-config (Localisation options).

Initial support for the Tinker board has been added with this release. It’s a source only install on top of their default Debian image. It has only had limited testing so far, and may need further work.

Please see the changelog below for more information on the changes since RetroPie 4.3.

You can download a 4.4 image from https://retropie.org.uk/download/. For first installs please follow the Installation Instructions.

You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian Stretch set up, or on top of Ubuntu on a PC/Odroid-C1/C2/XU3/XU4. Links to the relevant instructions can be found on the Download area.

If you want to support the project, donations are always appreciated and can be made on our Donation Page. The main developer Jools Wills also has a Patreon page up at https://www.patreon.com/retropie

Changes since 4.3
  • Added support for Raspbian Stretch, and switched to it for our main images, as Raspbian Jessie is no longer receiving kernel/firmware updates. Many changes were needed around the codebase to work correctly with Raspbian Stretch.
  • Added basic support for the ASUS Tinker Board.
  • RetroArch updated to v1.7.1 (built with video recording support via ffmpeg on Raspbian Stretch).
  • AdvanceMAME updated to v3.7
  • ScummVM – updated to v2.0. This fixes the controller issues and adds support for additional games.
  • Stella (Atari 2600 emulator) updated to v5.0.2
  • Fuse (ZX Spectrum emulator) updated to v1.4.1
  • SDL2 – updated to 2.0.8
  • Dosbox – Updated to latest code, implemented software MIDI synth support, and launching via .conf files directly.
  • lr-freeintv libretro Intellivision emulator
  • AGS – enable DIGMID support for MIDI playback on devices with no hardware MIDI Support.
  • Fixes for xarcade2jstick.
  • Added customhidsony, a custom hid-sony dkms driver module patched to fix the eternal vibrate bug with third-party Shanwan controllers.
  • wolf4sdl – fix spear of destiny mission support.
  • Zdoom – add support for launching Hexen 1 Series, Heretic, Strife and Chex 3.
  • cgenius – updated to v2.2.0.
  • Amiberry – update to the new SDL2 release (still using SDL1 on the Raspberry Pi due to performance reasons).
  • Emulation Station improvements including Kiosk mode, and a new experimental module emulationstation-dev for those wanting to try our the very latest Emulation Station code.
  • Various mupen64plus (N64 emulator) fixes.
  • Removed lr-armsnes as it’s no longer developed and has only minor changes over lr-snes9x2002.
  • Fix non working xm7 (Fujitsu FM-7) emulator.
  • Joy2key – input mapping improvements and fixes.
  • Identify and allow installing on Linux Mint Debian Edition and Deepin.
  • Added various new Emulation Station themes, installable from RetroPie-Setup.
  • Added new experimental modules:
    • lr-dosbox (Dosbox port for libretro)
    • dosbox-sdl2 (DOSBox port with SDL2 & FluidSynth support)
    • mame2003-plus-libretro (mame2003 with backported fixes)
    • Update lr-desmume and split 2015 version off to lr-desume2015.
    • digger – digger remastered.
    • yquake2 – Supports Quake II and both official mission packs.
    • Abuse – port of run and gun game.

My personal problem is: I finally get my 3B setup exactly how I want it and they update to Stretch... geez... why the... how the... grrrr.... now I have to flash my card and start over!

Heh it's aggravating but worth it. I had found a long time ago that, some days, it's more fun to play with the boards and come up with different ways to play the games than actually playing them. Yes I play the games too but somehow this is more interesting!

Can't edit my last post so here's a new one! :-o

Not the problem I thought it would be. My USB stick has everything on it. I only use the SD card to launch the system. Turns out that once I flashed the card and did the basic setup it all worked fine. Not too shabby. :)

My 3B+ is already on Stretch so I didn't have to fight with that at all. Just an update. So ignore the whiny parts of my post! :D :D

that's what I do on mine(for retropi) , the SD card is like a 8 gig just for boot and system stuff, everything important is on a 120 gig micro sata drive on a usb 3.0 adapter card (the pi cant do usb 3 speeds, but that's not the problem, the problem is loading roms on it from my computer, which does support usb3 and its where the 60 something gig mame dump and all the other roms are lol)

I don't have a 3B but even on the 3 using a mechanical 5400rpm laptop drive over usb 2.0 kicked the snot out of the SD card speed anyway (not that I am running the worlds fastest SD card, its up there and only a couple years old) It would be nice in the future to maybe have a sata port like the pcduino's did and just ditch the slow and fragile SD interface, but I would MUCH rather have a proper soft power on / off with maybe a header for a button first.

Edited by Osgeld

I don't have a 3B but even on the 3 using a mechanical 5400rpm laptop drive over usb 2.0 kicked the snot out of the SD card speed anyway (not that I am running the worlds fastest SD card, its up there and only a couple years old) It would be nice in the future to maybe have a sata port like the pcduino's did and just ditch the slow and fragile SD interface, but I would MUCH rather have a proper soft power on / off with maybe a header for a button first.

Can you post a picture of your pi + hard drive setup? I'm curious to see how it differs from my Western Digital PIdrive(1TB). Wish I could fit all this into a better custom box, but the cables are so short.

My personal problem is: I finally get my 3B setup exactly how I want it and they update to Stretch... geez... why the... how the... grrrr.... now I have to flash my card and start over!

Heh it's aggravating but worth it. I had found a long time ago that, some days, it's more fun to play with the boards and come up with different ways to play the games than actually playing them. Yes I play the games too but somehow this is more interesting!

It's not a personal problem at all. It's a developmental milestone. A mark on the timeline of your activity in the hobby.

I always wondered what came next, after you played your 10,000th game of Basic Math and Slot Racers.. Nostalgia can't last forever. It can become monotonous. There's only so many systems you can mod, so many systems you can collect, so many times you can re-arrange your wall of carts.

You want a bigger playground. Bigger in scope and depth. But yet still connected to the old nostalgic material you grew up with.

Just recently I've found new (to me) functionality hidden in some popular PC applications I've been using for years. And discovering some OpenSource utilities to do a task I had no idea was even on the drawing board, well, that's cool.

---

I've always said the Doom and Raptor and some other various DOS games (back in the day) were what convinced me the PC was the end-all be-all for videogames. And some 25 years later I'm having a blast spit-polishing my old first PC. I'm just slap-happy it is configured exactly the way I left it.

Working through the minor repairs and miscellaneous fixes and cleaning, piece-by-piece is really great. What might appear as a case of "put one fire out, another starts" isn't that at all. You just work through the problem methodically step-by-step at a slow pace. This allows you catch all the details, far more than if you hurly-burlied through it in a whirlwind of excitement.

After that, I'll go over my Tualatin rig, and then perhaps get into an R-Pi. Sramirez' post #67 shows two nice pics. Dare I say a poster child for the trouble-free and modern way to play classic games?

• Like 1

I use the unibios for Neo-Geo and to be safe I put it in both Bios and the rom folder where the neo games are. Make sure you use lr-fbalpha as the rom's emulator for each neo game.

I'm familiar with the unibios. For the games themselves, are they ZIP files or .DRV files?

Best. Controller. Ever. Beats my PS3 controller hands down.

If it means anything, I can also vouch for 8bitdo's NC30 & FC30 Pro controllers. Look, feel and play gr8. Quality products with pretty much no noticeable lag via Bluetooth on my 3B+.

http://www.8bitdo.com/n30pro-f30pro/

• Like 1

If someone could help....

I tried different time to add a 128gb image on my 128gb SD card and it is not working.

I have a 32gb image on a 32gb SD card but I would really like a 128 image.

If you could help me. PM me

What format is your 128GB drive and what version of raspbian/retropie?

I bought an RP3 Model B at a "local" (closest an hour away) Target last weekend. Got Retropie running, and decided to delved into cramming it into a Atari Flashback 1 Mini 7800 case. Going to go with USB right now instead of 9 pin controller ports, I tried to get the Mini 7800 sticks working with GPIO with no success, and I would be limited anyway. I'll probably buy a 2600daptor to use real Atari controllers and my old trusty Xbox360 controllers. I have successfully gotten the difficulty, select, pause, and reset buttons to work via GPIO! Got to get a few more parts together and working before I get the drill and Dremel out. I've wanted one of these for a while, so glad I finally got one!

If someone could help....

I tried different time to add a 128gb image on my 128gb SD card and it is not working.

I have a 32gb image on a 32gb SD card but I would really like a 128 image.

If you could help me. PM me

tl;dr - If you can get a 32GB card to work but not a 128GB card chances are the 128GB card is a fake/knockoff.

You can use large cards with your Raspberry Pi system. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that not all cards are created equal. My first "32GB" card was a 3.5GB knockoff from eBay. This caused me a ton of frustration because it felt like I was the problem. I ended up spending a few extra dollars locally and bought off the shelf, sealed SanDisk cards so I knew they would be good. I also figured that if they didn't work the store would have to take them back.

If you want my opinion though (IF you want it ;)) - I have found the best thing for me is to use a small card then a USB thumb drive for all the data. Boots a little slower but there are advantages:

- If the card crashes you only have to backup / write a small image. No work gets lost.

- USB drives are used to being abused more than SD cards. The setup will last a lot longer.

- Transfers through my PC's USB port are MUCH faster and easier than using SSH transfers.

- The card is fragile. I've seen pictures of people's cards breaking in half because they remove them and insert them so often. USB drive? Not so much.

One major disadvantage of a USB drive is the Pi uses more power. I had to upgrade to a 5v/3a power supply on my SNESPi to get rid of the lightning bolt. Not a big deal in my case since there's 3 Pi computers floating around in the house - wife is a Linux fan - but it does detract from the "cheap" part of the attraction to a Raspberry Pi.

Edited by ClassicGMR

This is my first card

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073JYC4XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I returned and got the same one. Very good review !

I download 3 image from arcade punk (128gb).

I formatted the card in fat 32 and exfat.

I tried several time over the last 2 weeks.

It take around d 3 hours evertime to burn the image.

Anyway I lost patience.

If someone will like to send me a 128gb card. I will pay !

Formatting the card first makes no difference; the image overwrites it with its file system. Can you use the 32GB image and expand the file system.

Edit:. I agree with Classicgmr, buy computer memory from a reputable source. You can test it by formatting on your computer and writing 128GB of data.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

tl;dr - RetroPie makes vacation packing easier!!

So I just came home from a 10-day vacation. As far as gaming goes this was the best vacation I have ever had! (Yes the overall vacation was fun - don't read anything into that. :) )

I own a timeshare at a great resort so I know what I need. Every time I go I pack my 24" LCD tv, pick a console I can live with, grab the controllers and games I think I want, grab my laptop with emulators and controllers and go. Usually it's a hassle to disconnect everything and pack it up. Then I have to find space to put it all in the condo without disrupting what space my guests want or need. The condo has a large LCD tv in the living rooms but I usually don't use that because it's a common area and people want to watch tv. The tv in the master bedrooms were - up until this year - a tube tv with no connections beyond the cable connector hence the inclusion of my own LCD when packing.

This year I was surprised to find a 32" LCD in the master bedroom. The association that runs the timeshare has been slowly replacing the televisions as they die with LCD. Great! One less thing to disconnect and pack going forward. The other thing different this year is my RetroPie systems. I told my wife I wouldn't clutter up the unit with a system that required a lot of peripherals. I took my Super Kuma 9000 Pi, 2 SNES30 controllers, the tv and that's it.

I used my iPhone to go online so I didn't miss my laptop AT ALL. I didn't miss the bulky console system I usually pack. Every time we had downtime and I wanted to play something the Pi was ready to go AND on a 32" screen! This has made another aspect of my gaming life so much more convenient.

I'm getting old and cranky... I like things easier! :D

• Like 3

Anybody knows how to get settings to save on exit in libretro emulators in Retropie? I've been tweaking it for ages, encountered numerous problems and managed to solve them, but this is the one thing I just can't get under control. I do have "Save Settings On EXIT" enabled both in rgui, and manually in retroarch.cfg. But the settings I make in Main Menu do not register upon exit, I have to use Save Core Override. And Hotkeys from Input section do not save even then - I have to edit configs manualy from SSH.

I know it used to work before - and I think after too - I updated to 4.4.

I'm getting old and cranky... I like things easier! :D

No.. You just demand things to a higher and more practical standard that simply works.

Shit, I remember hauling a complete Apple II system, with monitor and drives and a small carton of peripherals cards and cables and disks. Would take me an hour to set it all up!

I DESERVE the convenience of a NUC STB or laptop or R-Pi for retrogaming needs.