IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

That LCD is supported... Download the distribution and copy the HX8347G files over the ones in the main folder and run sdrive.bat.

THANK YOU!!!!!! I must have overlooked that!

OK, so I flashed the correct atmega328-hx8347g hex files using SDrive.bat. The screen does show successfully with the cross hair for callibration, but it does not sense touch. So I am currently stuck at the calibration screen and unable to go any farther at the moment.

I am using Windows10 and intially flashed with Xloader, but then ran the bat to overwrite Eeprom.

Hate to muddy up this thread, but looking for some support and/or direction.

Edited by NISMOPC

Just changed my 2nd post to the link with a 1, so either way it'll work.

If you change the dl=0 at the end of the link to dl=1 then it becomes a direct link to the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egsv8c4fxj1pu6t/Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2018-6-21%20ATX.zip?dl=1

Edit: This type link also works: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/egsv8c4fxj1pu6t/Atari8bitPreservedSoftware2018-6-21%20ATX.zip

• Like 1

In this pic it shows that it uses the ili9340 chip set which isn't on the supported list.

attachicon.gifili9340.jpg

The ili9341 is what most are using. Looking at the board info, there are a bit of differences between the two...

Not sure if it will work with the ili9341 flash files or not.

Well, I bought it before I read those posts, so that's why I was unhappy at first. I received the device today and it works beautifully.

A slightly larger screen would be nice, but this whole thing was $17.00 USD. I have it temporarily housed in a cigarette box (NO, I DO NOT SMOKE TOBACCO!) which I got from a friend. I didn't bother with the diode cause I don't have one. I'll put it in eventually.

I like being able to report good news. :)

Edit: Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNO-R3-Kit-with-2-4-Inch-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-Module-For-Arduino/183149780605?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I used the batch file in the English zip from this thread. I didn't change a single thing, I just ran the bat.

Here's the pic.

post-13040-0-43261400-1532053144_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 5

Well, I bought it before I read those posts, so that's why I was unhappy at first. I received the device today and it works beautifully.

A slightly larger screen would be nice, but this whole thing was $17.00 USD. I have it temporarily housed in a cigarette box (NO, I DO NOT SMOKE TOBACCO!) which I got from a friend. I didn't bother with the diode cause I don't have one. I'll put it in eventually.

I like being able to report good news. :)2

Edit: Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNO-R3-Kit-with-2-4-Inch-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-Module-For-Arduino/183149780605?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I used the batch file in the English zip from this thread. I didn't change a single thing, I just ran the bat.

Cool, glad to hear :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: : :) I had that one on my watch list too, but ended up buying from 2 different sellers...

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1

Question:

Is SDrive-MAX firmware useful on a bog stock Arduino without a touch screen? I mean does the SDrive configuration program still appear on the Atari's display?

I ask because for going on 9 years I've had a classic SDrive and what I called affectionately call my "ghetto SDrive". It's an SDrive without buttons or LEDs or switches. I never need to rotate SDrive's logical drives on the fly so I don't need the buttons.

I wouldn't mind duplicating it while gaining the ability to use .ATX and .CAS files.

I still want to assemble a complete SDrive-MAX but the information would be good to have before I start ordering parts.

May I ask something ? Why is everyone so keen on running original copy protected disk images while the same games have been long hacked and sometimes even put into 1 file that can be loaded through a (floppy) menu..?

I can imagine that if there were no hacked version around this is great but....what's the problem using the non protected hacks ?

May I ask something ? Why is everyone so keen on running original copy protected disk images while the same games have been long hacked and sometimes even put into 1 file that can be loaded through a (floppy) menu..?

I can imagine that if there were no hacked version around this is great but....what's the problem using the non protected hacks ?

Lot's of reasons. The hacked versions sometimes didn't work well. They might seem to be okay at first, but then, you get to level 13 and it dies.

Also, the hacked versions often removed the loader screens or changed the splash screens or credit screens with pirate information.

The intent here is to preserve the original software the way it was originally released. The way the publisher intended it to be published.

• Like 3

Okay. I am having trouble with the 2-color printing and I had trouble getting the parts scaled correctly so they fit together, but I have gotten my first protoype and I think it looks pretty good.

What do you all think of the label I printed?

post-50483-0-35703600-1532123609_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I have looked all over this thread and cannot find the 0.8b that has been mentioned that runs Archon. Is there a zip file somewhere?

Thanks.

Here you go. I compiled the current 0.8b beta and packaged it up like BigBen's ZIP file from the first page of the thread. If you're using a different touchscreen other than the ili9341-based default, copy the SDrive.hex and eeprom_writer.hex files from the subdirectory of the appropriate model display to the root directory of the folder and overwrite the versions there. Then just follow the instructions to get your Arduino's assigned COM: port when plugged in, run the Windows batch file and follow the on-screen prompts.

SDrive-max-08b.zip

• Like 5

Lot's of reasons. The hacked versions sometimes didn't work well. They might seem to be okay at first, but then, you get to level 13 and it dies.

Also, the hacked versions often removed the loader screens or changed the splash screens or credit screens with pirate information.

The intent here is to preserve the original software the way it was originally released. The way the publisher intended it to be published.

What Todd said. I don't wanna see crack screens, flashing brag messages, etc. That was fine when I was 16 in 1984 but it's great to avoid it now and use software the way it was created.

And of course, it's just ridiculously fun and cool to build your own "do it all" storage device, flash the code to it, etc. :)

• Like 5

I guess that one does work. I wish I had gotten the larger screen, though. I put 0.8b on it and it loaded Archon no problem. Well, no problem after I removed ROM at $C000. :)

Well the "intend" differs per person I'm sure.

If orignality is your thing load the original,floppies or tapes :D

I just want to play the game and don't care about the crack messages etc....a long as the game is 100% OK.

Yeah I understand you guys but it's not my thing, it's like I'm not collecting games for the Lynx but I'm happy with my SD card full of them....as long as I can play I'm fine,,,,but to each their thing :)

Oh and crack messages are part of the retro thing.....or did you guys only have 100% only original,software.....? :D

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

Well the "intend" differs per person I'm sure.

If orignality is your thing load the original,floppies or tapes :D

I just want to play the game and don't care about the crack messages etc....a long as the game is 100% OK.

Yeah I understand you guys but it's not my thing, it's like I'm not collecting games for the Lynx but I'm happy with my SD card full of them....as long as I can play I'm fine,,,,but to each their thing :)

Oh and crack messages are part of the retro thing

You started and ended the discussion right there. ;)

But for your second point, I daresay NO ONE has original, unaltered floppy disks or tapes for every Atari computer title produced. Hence the desire for devices like this.

• Like 3

Okay. I am having trouble with the 2-color printing and I had trouble getting the parts scaled correctly so they fit together, but I have gotten my first protoype and I think it looks pretty good.

What do you all think of the label I printed?

attachicon.gifimage1-2.jpeg

That looks great !!! Did you use Atari fonts ?

I don't want to crush anyone's idea....but couldn't we name it Atari 1070 or something like that ? :D

By the way, Michael's new project (1088XLD) needs similar silvery labels....:)

• Like 2

Oh and crack messages are part of the retro thing.....or did you guys only have 100% only original,software.....? :D

I don't want to take this topic too far off track since it is, after all, specifically about running copy-protected disk images on the SDrive Max. But, yes, I only had original software so the "retro thing" to me is non-cracked.

• Like 3

That looks great !!! Did you use Atari fonts ?

I don't want to crush anyone's idea....but couldn't we name it Atari 1070 or something like that ? :D

By the way, Michael's new project (1088XLD) needs similar silvery labels....:)

Just Arial. I used silver tape in my P-Touch printer.

I dont know about 1070. Its called the sdrive max, so thats what I went with.

• Like 2

Im open to suggestions for what to put on the tape.

I can print tapes for people. Dont know how much to charge. On the one hand, it costs very little. On the other hand, I dont want to send out 100 of these things.

I guess, PM me if you want one and what you want it to say and Ill send them out until I run out of tape or get tired of it.

Todd

• Like 1

I'm not so picky about the case so would gladly pay for material costs and shipping of one of the "less perfect" ones :D

Same here!!! I'm working on getting this built and would love to have something to put it in. Would be happy to pay materials and shipping if you have the time.

• Like 1