IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

But never mind....I...uhhh.....I dont know, it works now.....that is....it powers up fine...maybe I expected it to power up when I turned on the 1050 but I could swear I also powered up the 600XL earlier on....

O well....anyway.... powers up OK now.

I boot the machine with the 1050 turned off, select an image from the Sdrive menu and mount it on D2

D1 is empty on the Sdrive. When I then power up the 1050 and boot a floppy with f.i. smartdos (by using U1MB select-reset option) it loads smartdos fine and I can read directories and even load some games like Tapper and Snokie just fine.

I can also use Spartados from U1MB fine....same results.

Now....I would like to copy my floppies to images, so I figured the New option was for creating a new empty image, but I cannot format a drive with New ?

Do i first need to create an empty ATR and put it on the SD card ?

Edited by Level42

Now....I would like to copy my floppies to images, so I figured the New option was for creating a new empty image, but I cannot format a drive with New ?

Do i first need to create an empty ATR and put it on the SD card ?

You create an empty "holder" file with the New option - no need to create the ATR and then move it to the SD card. But you still have to format it with your DOS of choice.

• Like 1

I built my first SDrive-MAX including 3D printing the SIO connector and the SDrive-MAX case. I need to update the software to the latest version. Learned a few things and want to try a few tweaks.

I tried printing the XL style case on my FlashForge Finder 3D printer and had some issue. I'm going to try to reprint it with the parts flipped over.

I used 15 conductor cable ... way over kill for this project. I'll try again with a CAT5 cable.

post-188-0-49065000-1543292048_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-46726500-1543292055_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-34449800-1543292064_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-31535100-1543292073_thumb.jpg

post-188-0-24818600-1543292081_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

You create an empty "holder" file with the New option - no need to create the ATR and then move it to the SD card. But you still have to format it with your DOS of choice.

Ah...so it should work as i expected........Im still on 0.9 but I cant format any New at all, tried several ways (Snartdos, Spartados, DOS 2.5).......weird....

I did successfully copy a double density to a floppy using Copy 2000 though (although this trangely always shows a read error at 08B but when I press start again it simply continues....,..,but I need to go the other way around...create images from real floppies...

Edited by Level42

Wondering if someone might have any suggestions as to what might be wrong with my SDrive-Max assembly...

I have it all assembled... upon powering on (and when powering on while touching the screen) I am able to successfully navigate through the calibration process followed by the screen telling me my calibration results followed by the main SDrive-Max screen, but on the main screen I cannot select anything... New, Cfg, drives... touch does nothing on any of them. D0 has a green light on it (?). I have also tried removing the SD card and I do get an error message where the READY prompt appears at the bottom of the screen.

This all leads me to believe my touch screen and Arduino are ok and from my tests my soldering connections seemed ok (although I'd expect to be able to select stuff on the touch screen regardless and would expect a failed SIO cable soldering job to just prevent it from working with the Atari computer).

Any ideas as to why my touch screen lets me calibrate, but I can't actually do anything once on the main screen? Thanks in advance.

Please provide Pictures top and bottom of both board and screen close enough to fill the view, and also of both ends of wires including sio end and diode..

please also let us know version flashed...

Thanks for the quick reply... was hoping that might be a clue to something obvious and was hoping I wouldn't have to break it apart again. I'll do that and recheck everything and if I still can't get it to go then I'll post some pics.

Hi,

Have you formatted the SD card using FAT-32, or a different format type? Also, adrive.atr (?) needs, to be in the root (top level) folder on the sd-card. Can you try with another sd-card, just in case the one you are using at the moment doesn't work with your setup? Can you create new blank images on the SDrive Max using the touchscreen interface? Can you make folders and sub-folders on the memory card using a PC, then browse them using the SDrive Max touchscreen? Hope you safely removed the memory card from the PC too?

If your SDrive Max can access the SD card without any problems, it's probably worth checking for badly soldered connections, and also check for electrical continuity using a multimeter from the Arduino connection to the SIO plug (don't trust the color coding if you are re-using an original Atari connector/cable).

it's possible there is an issue with the sd card, please try a reformat with fat 32 whichever give you the most capacity and still works discussed in the thread earlier (more than likely fat 32) and copy freshly downloaded .atr to it. Do not have it in the sdrive slot until after programming the uno is complete. It is possible corruption has occurred. Also consider a re download and re-flash of the uno as it is possible the files are corrupt. make sure to wait extra long between flashing steps allowing usb programming scheme to complete properly. The other programming methods are not supported afaik

Edited by _The Doctor__

I tried something kinda stupid and fun tonight - I successfully loaded the ATX of MURDER ON THE ZINDERNEUF on my 1088XEL. The game requires OSb and I had previously discovered that the EA copy protection recognizes my modified, padded-out OSb that I have in one of the 16K memory slots of the Ultimate 1MB and refuses to load. However, it will load and run if I use a stock XL memory slot and load a Translator Disk first. :)

06372be762f24210e0d00477b4737121.jpg

2466706affc74447b114a33915ab4cf5.jpg

e0a073d9e280cead60d1a44b956504b0.jpg

What a great gadget! :)

EDIT: It will also also run with an XE OS with extended memory enabled so long as I boot the Translator Disk first.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

awesome sleuthing! great job whittling this down. Maybe DjayBee of CSS could look in on the protection of this one...

Very interesting to me, Congrats on working it out.

I tried something kinda stupid and fun tonight - I successfully loaded the ATX of MURDER ON THE ZINDERNEUF on my 1088XEL. The game requires OSb and I had previously discovered that the EA copy protection recognizes my modified, padded-out OSb that I have in one of the 16K memory slots of the Ultimate 1MB and refuses to load. However, it will load and run if I use a stock XL memory slot and load a Translator Disk first. :)

06372be762f24210e0d00477b4737121.jpg

2466706affc74447b114a33915ab4cf5.jpg

e0a073d9e280cead60d1a44b956504b0.jpg

What a great gadget! :)

EDIT: It will also also run with an XE OS with extended memory enabled so long as I boot the Translator Disk first.

I had previously discovered that the EA copy protection recognizes my modified, padded-out OSb that I have in one of the 16K memory slots of the Ultimate 1MB and refuses to load. However, it will load and run if I use a stock XL memory slot and load a Translator Disk first. :)

This is very interesting to me. I have been playing around with some various OS dependant titles to see how I can get them to run. Mostly I have been using ATR, CAR, XEX, and real cartridges but I've thrown a few ATX format files into the mix recently too. I have not only been switching the system OS via U1MB but also trying out the many various Translator programs that I have collected as well. What I HAVEN'T been doing, though, is writing this stuff down. I probably should start keeping record of what works with what and maybe even starting a seperate thread about it.

Somewhat relatedly, does anyone have an OSa system ROM that can be flashed onto the U1MB that can be used for the few OSa dependant games out there? I do have an OSa Translator program but I'd like to be able to put it on my U1MB too. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply... was hoping that might be a clue to something obvious and was hoping I wouldn't have to break it apart again. I'll do that and recheck everything and if I still can't get it to go then I'll post some pics.

Just following up on my issue where I could calibrate the touch screen, but then could not access any of the menu options. Fortunately when I ordered parts from Ali Express I ordered 2 of each. I flashed the other board and tried it with the same touch screen before doing any soldering... same result... so I tried my other touch screen and that works great. I apparently have a defective screen. Why it lets me calibrate and nothing else is a mystery I am not going to solve (???) and if that didn't happen with my first one I'd probably have had more confidence in everything.

Looking forward to trying it with my Atari computer later.

- Thanks, Alan

• Like 1

Just following up on my issue where I could calibrate the touch screen, but then could not access any of the menu options. Fortunately when I ordered parts from Ali Express I ordered 2 of each. I flashed the other board and tried it with the same touch screen before doing any soldering... same result... so I tried my other touch screen and that works great. I apparently have a defective screen. Why it lets me calibrate and nothing else is a mystery I am not going to solve (???) and if that didn't happen with my first one I'd probably have had more confidence in everything.

Looking forward to trying it with my Atari computer later.

- Thanks, Alan

Actually it was the SD Card. I had to format with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.htmlinstead of Windows... copied all the data off of it, did a Quick Format with that Utility, and then copied everything back. It makes more sense that the Firmware doesn't like the SD Card data... now I can actually select an .ATR file.

Still not working so apparently I need to recheck my soldering (and now that I have printed a case I can do a better job of measuring everything), but getting closer...

- Thanks, Alan

• Like 2

Actually it was the SD Card. I had to format with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.htmlinstead of Windows... copied all the data off of it, did a Quick Format with that Utility, and then copied everything back. It makes more sense that the Firmware doesn't like the SD Card data... now I can actually select an .ATR file.

Still not working so apparently I need to recheck my soldering (and now that I have printed a case I can do a better job of measuring everything), but getting closer...

- Thanks, Alan

One things always leads to another (The Fixx)

:)

So it looks like.

Use latest firmware

Verify it unzips properly

make sure storage is not inserted during programming

make sure the assembled devices have long enough time between flash portions to finish programming as usb will report done while device is really still flashing.

verify SD car integrity and put all good fresh files on them

and of course all the wiring and components are correct.

I am sure more pointers and tips are listed in these threads.. but this is a short summary...

Edited by _The Doctor__