IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

So after a few iterations and test fitting printouts I came up with this, it should allow me to solder a 4 pin header to the UNO which connects to the v2 board, and a single wire from the board to the A5 pin. The SIO cable can attach with a pin header connector.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-02-01 at 11.24.50.jpgattachicon.gifScreenshot 2019-02-01 at 11.26.05.jpg

V2 now ordered from OSHPark, the cost went up to $5.20 because the board is slightly bigger to allow room for the crystal on the UNO board. See you all in 10 days!

attachicon.gif2a8a102ebedf2e7251ea6497b69b1717.pngattachicon.gifd3aaa6dc3592658509ba98a8156c4b71.png

An alternative layout would be to have the 4-pin header and A5 connect via headers and not use the six pin header. This would make the PCB wider but the 74LS07 wouldn't be located over the crystal, the width between A5 and the 4-pin header is wide enough the 74LS07 could be placed between them allowing the PCB to be shorter.

The attached image shows the needed connections in yellow, with an alternate ground connection on the same side as A5, and the PCB outline in red.

post-26063-0-44846200-1549227679_thumb.jpg

I'm using the 4 pin header in your pic but I'm trying to keep this as small as possible so it's as easy and cheap as possible for people to order one from OSHPark. I couldn't justify the increased width to stretch over to the A5 pin and really wanted to keep the 6pin header as an anchor for the board, it has to put up with quite a bit of torquing from the sio lead. I tried to reposition the IC over that side but I couldn't get it small enough to keep me happy.

If v2 still feels too fiddly/difficult I'll revisit the idea for v3 :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also got mine:

post-29824-0-88620900-1550226538.jpg

and decided for heatshrink tubing:

post-29824-0-87300500-1550226544.jpg

to prevent a short circuit.

I connected the SIO command line directly to Arduino A5, since there is no real benefit of passing it through the breakout board.

@Mr Robot

By the way, the 7407 IC has a few unused buffers, so the SIO command line could be handled the same way as SIO Data In.

It is just a matter of adding one more 4k7 resistor.

My V2 boards turned up yesterday too. I haven't had time to test one but a test fit looks to be perfect. I'll hopefully get chance to do a test today.

@TheMontezuma If I have to make a v3 I'll have a look at doing that too but from the test of v1 it doesn't seem to need it.

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

@TheMontezuma If I have to make a v3 I'll have a look at doing that too but from the test of v1 it doesn't seem to need it.

Yes, the proposed improvement is not essential, since A5 is not affected by the connection to the FTDI chip (like RxD and TxD are).

However, since you anyway decided to route the "command line" through the breakout board, why not use a free buffer? It is anyway there.

This way all SIO lines would go through 7407 and would be decoupled from "dirty" Arduino UNO internal wirings.

On the other hand "never ever touch a running system", so perhaps it is better to keep the current design as a final one, unless there is a real need for v3.

Edited by TheMontezuma
  • Like 2

Got the v1 board installed in my Sdrive-Max a few minutes ago, and I was able to test it with a 1050 drive as 1, and images loaded on 2, 3 & 4. Everything appears to work correctly. Didn't get a chance to check it with my XF551, as I've had a part fall out of the drive mech, lol. I think it's either weight or shielding for the top head..

2019-02-15%2015.02.19.jpg?dl=1

Yep, 5 minutes and some white double face tape, and done, lol. The XF551 does work now with the modded SDrive-Max, where before it wouldn't work at all (the 1050 would occasionally work with it though). I'll give it a two thumbs up, lol. I've got 2 more boards (plus the IC and resistors) here for this 'gen 1' version if anybody stateside wants them, just let me know via PM.

The IC does rest right on top of that crystal, and the 6 pin header sits just flush with the board (had to tack solder 3 leads on the other side to get it to stay), but it does fit.

easy to put back.. :)

Edited by David Hefner

All things are possible but maybe not desirable. The screen is already on a pin header and we are trying to fit another board between the two boards. If we use a pin header and socket it will make the new board the same height as the screen and the screen will need to be mounted higher making the sdrive thicker.

What Im doing is using a pin header on the uno board and a single wire as solder points so the board can be soldered lower on the pins giving room for the screen.

There isnt a way to make this solder free without doubling the thickness of the finished sdrive. Even then youve got to solder on all the pinheaders to the board you just made and attach an sio cable to it. Soldering is really unavoidable.

Yeah - I don't need one, but then again, I don't "need" any of my 8-bit kit. I'll get around to putting something together once all the bugs get worked out.

Heh. Yeah, exactly. I built an SDrive-MAX last summer and it's great, but it *is* temperamental with physical drives, which I still like to use from time to time. So I'll probably be buying parts for this add-on board and rewiring my setup so I can properly isolate the SIO bus and use the device with all my machines and drives in whatever combination I fancy. :)

• Like 1

The Yellow square looks like a bridge to me

It looks iffy to me but benefit of the doubt on the Blue square.

I'm not too certain about the two IC pins next to the black wire at the top either, though it could just be flux.

Lastly the IC pins on the underside look scarily close to the metal can of that crystal, check to make sure it's not possible for them to touch.

post-62759-0-90732800-1550427266_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Having said that your problem sounds more software than hardware to me. If it works in an XL but not an 800, I'd be thinking about BASIC and whether what I'm trying to load needs it.

Edited by Mr Robot