IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

Hi DrV, I spoke to the guy and he said there is a switch on the SDrive and a power socket, he siad the switch choses where the supply voltage comes from so I presume this stops both being connected at the same time,

The only thing that has now thrown me is that he said it uses a standard multi PSU plug in the wall type thing with the numerous heads but he said it needs to set to 9V dc center pin positive which I fully understand but varies from the 5V I've seen..

12 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Hi DrV, I spoke to the guy and he said there is a switch on the SDrive and a power socket, he siad the switch choses where the supply voltage comes from so I presume this stops both being connected at the same time,

The only thing that has now thrown me is that he said it uses a standard multi PSU plug in the wall type thing with the numerous heads but he said it needs to set to 9V dc center pin positive which I fully understand but varies from the 5V I've seen..

Great! I know a lot of folks are adding an external switch for that purpose. I’m too lazy - I just disconnected the SIO power wire inside my board. ? 

5 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

This is an Arduino board, right? If so, I believe they can run off 6-20V DC.

Jon is correct - the standard USB PSU is 5V DC, the Uno wall-wart I use is 9V DC. Either will work just fine.

Thanks guys....Much appreciated, didn't want to screw the thing on the first day of use...

I did have a look for  Arduino psu's on ebay and the ones I saw were 9v..Some variable voltages..

Again, thanks for all the help, back to normal chatter :)

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks guys....Much appreciated, didn't want to screw the thing on the first day of use...

I did have a look for  Arduino psu's on ebay and the ones I saw were 9v..Some variable voltages..

Again, thanks for all the help, back to normal chatter :)

Just as a note, the easiest way to power those and not put another power supply on you desktop is to connect the USB cable to a USB charger (*everyone* has at least two of those lying around).  Heck, the power strips/bars are being sold now with USB ports on them.  It's clean power, you don't have to worry about the wrong voltage or polarity.  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

Thank you kind sir, I know my daughter has at least two of those or should I say HAD two of those :)

Its arriving Friday (hopefully) will check it out then and see what is the the table here...I'm going to have to have a spare USB lead anyway for firmware updates so it may as well go in a charger but lets see what I receive and go from there..

Great help from all, appreciated!!!

Paul.

Not sure, but thinking I fried my UNO board. Last night got the bright idea to use a universal power supply at 12V. SDrive-Max powered up, screen came on then within seconds, the screen went completely white in color. Unplugged it and then chose 9V. SDrive-Max powered up like normal, but I am no longer able to use the touchscreen, except to maximize/minimize the command line window (READY prompt) by touching random areas on the screen. I can't get into [Cfg] or anything.

SDive-Max still loads the D0: atr file and I can still operate using my 8-bit onscreen commands, but that's about it.

A few months ago, I lost 1TB harddrive with all my files, so I downloaded Arduino IDE 1.8.9 and installed the proper CH340 driver. The COM 3 port is showing as being the active port. I am unable to upload any sketches, etc etc etc.

Any thoughts? Fried board?

Error message for all attempts is as follows: (BLINK test)

Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\NISMOPC\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_575862/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Arduino
         Description     : Arduino
         Hardware Version: 3
         Firmware Version: 4.4
         Vtarget         : 0.3 V
         Varef           : 0.3 V
         Oscillator      : 28.800 kHz
         SCK period      : 3.3 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\NISMOPC\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_575862/Blink.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (930 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.12s

avrdude: 930 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\NISMOPC\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_575862/Blink.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\NISMOPC\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_575862/Blink.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\NISMOPC\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_575862/Blink.ino.hex contains 930 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.12s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x62 != 0x0c

avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done.  Thank you.

0617192025_HDR[1].jpg

0617192025a_HDR[1].jpg

Edited by NISMOPC
added pictures...

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Think that should only use 5volts - I can imagine 12V doing some damage.

The SDrive-MAX Arduino has several options for power.

- SIO 5V

- USB 5V (w/SIO 5V wire removed)

- AC/DC 7V-12V (w/SIO 5V wire removed)

I was using the SIO 5V, but noticed low power flickering, so I decided to remove the SIO 5V power wire and use the AC/DC input. That is when things went south...

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

From the reviews I've read, some Arduino Uno's with the surface mount Atmega328 processor will only accept 7-9 VDC on the power jack.

Hah! Well good to know now...

...I have another uno and screen on order. Should be here by end of week.

I'm back in action. Picked up new board locally from MicroCenter. It's an Inland branded board on sale for $7.99. There was nothing wrong with the touchscreen. Just the UNO board. Using a 1n4148 inline and 5V USB power. All SIO devices are working. Since this is not a micro USB version like my original build, need to get another case printed or file the slot open...

0619192055.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

I'm back in action. Picked up new board locally from MicroCenter. It's an Inland branded board on sale for $7.99. There was nothing wrong with the touchscreen. Just the UNO board. Using a 1n4148 inline and 5V USB power. All SIO devices are working. Since this is not a micro USB version like my original build, need to get another case printed or file the slot open...

There's your answer right there. If you don't have any fine files, you can buy a cheap "Kobalt" branded set at Home Depot for like $10 that includes flat, round, half-round and triangular files. I doubt they're terribly long-lasting but for plastic they're great. :) 

Glad your screen is in good shape! Excellent job on finding a local board cheap. Nothing like that around here - it's 2-day Prime from Amazon or 6-week slow-boat from China here. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, Mr Robot said:

About to start work on designing SIO2UNO2, I'm going to add a supercap to itCan someone point me at the ebay items for the UNO's and screens most people are using so I can get all the spacing right please. 

No? 

OK I won't bother then. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

No? 

OK I just won't bother then. 

I’m not sure I understand the question. What are you looking to do differently? 

I would love to have more memory (Arduino mega) to allow more features. An option for a bigger screen would be cool. 

What do do you envision this new device doing differently than the SDM?

I was going to add a super capacitor to it so that the UNO powered by SIO doesn't power off when you power cycle the Atari.

No more saving your settings to remember the disks and hoping it will startup faster than the Atari does when trying to boot. That should get rid of the need for an external power supply. 

The supercap is a tight fit, UNO board layouts vary, I want to make it fit on the most common boards, the boards I have are not the most common so the components on it aren't where they are for most people. If I make it fit my UNO's it will be too thick for some oithers.

I want to get the most common boards to prototype against so I was asking for links to see if I could get a common standard.

Edited by Mr Robot
Detail
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I was going to add a super capacitor to it so that the UNO powered by SIO doesn't power off when you power cycle the Atari.

No more saving your settings to remember the disks and hoping it will startup faster than the Atari does when trying to boot. That should get rid of the need for an external power supply. 

Now that sounds like a great idea! 

11 minutes ago, slx said:

I am sorry but I only made SDrive Maxes so far. I got boards like this from Aliexpress.

Thanks! 

This is a good example, you see that metal can by the 6 pin connector? is that in that position for everyone? If it is I need to avoid it because it stands too high. It looks about the same place as the UNO's I have, but mine are different, they only have 2 rows of headers next to that connector and they have a mirco USB. Other people have other layouts too!

IMG_1857.jpeg

Here it is with the supercap I have to find a home for...

IMG_1858.thumb.jpeg.330762d26422ae4fdba3b1ed02fd3b8d.jpegIMG_1859.thumb.jpeg.fdc79e4100517fc4e372cc8ce867cf66.jpeg

Edited by Mr Robot
Add Pics