IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

The DIP versions and Genuino's I wont be able to do at all, to make this work I'll need the pin holes you get on the knockoffs inside the pinsockets to mount to. 

Apologies, did not know what you were asking for.  Here is the version I use exclusively in the ones I sell.'

IMG_0001.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slx said:

I came across the non-socketed version on Aliexpress and this socketed version on Amazon (which does not need the sub-board). The oscillator can needs on the former needs to be insulated when the sub-board is installed.

So wait, I am confused or did not read the details or pay enough attention...

My original UNO R3 (I built some time last year) was the chip on board with micro-USB and I initially used a 1n4148 on TX line which seemed to work OK. Recently tried to power with 12V AC/DC and fried the unit. So I rebuilt using a Inland socketed UNO R3 and still used a 1n4148 on the TX line.

While doing all of this I purchased one of the sub-boards (delivered today) to install. Is it NOT required on the socketed UNO R3 boards. It's just required for the chip on board version? 

16 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

So wait, I am confused or did not read the details or pay enough attention...

My original UNO R3 (I built some time last year) was the chip on board with micro-USB and I initially used a 1n4148 on TX line which seemed to work OK. Recently tried to power with 12V AC/DC and fried the unit. So I rebuilt using a Inland socketed UNO R3 and still used a 1n4148 on the TX line.

While doing all of this I purchased one of the sub-boards (delivered today) to install. Is it NOT required on the socketed UNO R3 boards. It's just required for the chip on board version? 

Yes, you can just leave pin 2 out of the socket, or install a switch to re-connect it when re-programming.

See here (picture from Mr. Robot post earlier in thread) :

https://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2019/post-62759-0-20415900-1558043974.jpg

Edited by JR>

4 minutes ago, JR> said:

Yes, you can just leave pin 2 out of the socket, or install a switch to re-connect it when re-programming.

https://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2019/post-62759-0-20415900-1558043974.jpg 168.7 kB · 0 downloads

Well hot diggity dog d@mn! - How did I miss that!

Guess I'll build another one with a generic chip on board version with the sub board as a backup then.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, JR> said:

https://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_05_2019/post-62759-0-20415900-1558043974.jpg 168.7 kB · 0 downloads

Edited by Mr Robot
Removed Inaccuracies
  • Haha 1

I posted a comment saying to read this comment and the one after it for istructions on the dip version of the UNO. It seems to be missing so apologies if I double post or have posted a random thing in another topic!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I didn't post that picture BigBen did. It's also wrong, he has since posted a correct picture, it's pin 3 not pin 2.

I need to knock up some instructions for all this, don't I?

Mr Robot - That would be great. I was just reading that portion of the thread when I saw he re-posted regarding PIN 3. I am still not quite comfortable with the direction.

It states: "Arduino Uno Atmega put out of the DIL socket and bent out Pin3, put it in the socket and connect with SIO Pin3." 

Am I to understand that I do not solder the SIO pin 3 connection directly to the board but I will solder it to the pin 3 of the socket that I bent out (with inline diode)?

And it does not need reconnected for programming since I will program via USB connection IF I need to?

UPDATE: Was posting this same time as above post. Just went and read that link of information Mr Robot. Thank you...

THIS clarifies it!

What bigben is saying is that pin 3 on the ATmega chip (TX) should be bent out of the socket and the wire that you previously soldered to pin 1-TX on the UNO board should be soldered to it, so desolder that wire from the UNO board (it goes to SIO pin 3) and solder it to the chip leg.

If you want to update the firmware at some later date you will need to reconnect that pin back to the UNO, so you should probably fit a switch.

ATmega chip Pin-3 -   - UNO BOARD DIP Socket Pin-3
                    \ - SIO Connector Pin-3

You no longer need the diode, it never worked in the first place.

Edited by NISMOPC
Fixed for Mr Robot ;-)

13 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

Mr Robot - That would be great. I was just reading that portion of the thread when I saw he re-posted regarding PIN 3. I am still not quite comfortable with the direction.

It states: "Arduino Uno Atmega put out of the DIL socket and bent out Pin3, put it in the socket and connect with SIO Pin3." 

Am I to understand that I do not solder the SIO pin 3 connection directly to the board but I will solder it to the pin 3 of the socket that I bent out (with inline diode)?

And it does not need reconnected for programming since I will program via USB connection IF I need to?

UPDATE: Was posting this same time as above post. Just went and read that link of information Mr Robot. Thank you...

THIS clarifies it!

You probably should have quoted the bit about the switch as well...

31 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I didn't post that picture BigBen did. It's also wrong, he has since posted a correct picture, it's pin 3 not pin 2.

I need to knock up some instructions for all this, don't I?

EDIT: Where did my post go!?

LOL, I had seen the fixed post before and though that was the one I grabbed the pic from.

If an incorrect picture or info is posted anywhere, the op of the info should be contacted and they should ask for permission from the mods and edit/fix it... if that can not be done it should be reported so a moderator/admin/op can either fix it or delete it.

You're using a 4148 diode there, people were having problems with that and switched to a Schottky diode for the lower voltage drop (this may have been a 1088XEL only problem). You're saying a diode is required on TXD doing it this way and the 4148 is OK? We know it's not required for the SMD solution.

In this comment you are pretty specific about it being Pin 3, not pin2. The previous comment (with pictures) said Pin 2. A later picture showed Pin 3 which matched what you were saying  below. Now we are back to pin 2 again? 

Could you also add a photo of the wires in the SIO plug so we can see what wire goes where. 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

You're using a 4148 diode there, people were having problems with that and switched to a Schottky diode for the lower voltage drop (this may have been a 1088XEL only problem). You're saying a diode is required on TXD doing it this way and the 4148 is OK? We know it's not required for the SMD solution.

In this comment you are pretty specific about it being Pin 3, not pin2. The previous comment (with pictures) said Pin 2. A later picture showed Pin 3 which matched what you were saying  below. Now we are back to pin 2 again? 

Total confusion now ? Glad I did not change mine yet. Will wait for final agreeable pin and wire before doing anything.

In the original wiring diagram of Robert Petružela (Bob!k) & Radek Štěrba (Raster) a 1N1448 diode is sufficient. Of course, a Schottky diode is the better choice due to the low voltage loss.

Problems can be, for example, the cable cross-section or the connection contact on the Atari. For the power supply, I always use 2 wires each for 0 and + 5V, see the pictures.

I want to honor an unfortunately deceased man, Raster. Without him and Bob! K we would not have had the basis for the interface.

He was a fine guy with a great sense of humor and a big Atari heart. We miss him. Here is a picture of Raster.

1268851645_SioPlug.thumb.jpg.87d7be4655caded83c21ca5803c1d22e.jpgRaster.thumb.JPG.689df82e83bc7ac35588164318741cad.JPG

Edited by BigBen
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Yes it was very sad when Raster passed unexpectedly, he left an enormous Atari legacy. I never had the chance to speak to him but he seemed like a great guy. 

For those that don't know of him he was involved in all of these projects...

• He's the R in RMT, so thanks Raster for ALL the music!
  • Multijoy
  • ATADIM
  • Cervi (Worms)/Multris and many other games.
  • LTPJoy
  • SDrive
  • FLOP Magazin

...and many others we all take for granted now.

Edited by Mr Robot
Correction
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BigBen said:

I want to honor an unfortunately deceased man, Raster. Without him and Bob! K we would not have had the basis for the interface.

He was a fine guy with a great sense of humor and a big Atari heart. We miss him. Here is a picture of Raster.

Raster.thumb.JPG.689df82e83bc7ac35588164318741cad.JPG

Nice photo, thank you. ❤️

If you knew Raster, you would find that making updates to design and music was something he was all for. There is no need to implement a thing the exact same way it was done previously, it was all about improvement of or on that which came before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigBen said:

I made the setup again and tested. Sorry for my confusion, here is the correct description:
Pin (0) RX line goes to the bent Pin2 of the Atmega.

BigBen - Just to be clear on this. RX to Pin 2 is the correct connection to make. Leave TX as is WITH the diode inline?