IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

On 6/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

If an incorrect picture or info is posted anywhere, the op of the info should be contacted and they should ask for permission from the mods and edit/fix it... if that can not be done it should be reported so a moderator/admin/op can either fix it or delete it.

If only there were a way to remove the incorrect stuff after people have quoted it as well!

15 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Just a little correction - Mashed Turtles were made by Fandal and me. But Raster did numerous other multijoy (and non-multijoy) games.

Sorry, he gets a credit on the game startup screen and it was listed on his page with a bunch of other games he wrote, my Czech translation skills are somewhat lacking! I've corrected it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

If only there were a way to remove the incorrect stuff after people have quoted it as well!

only solution is to report the post and ask the incorrect quote be edited or deleted... depending on post content the whole post might have to go.

I've already done this with a mistake I've made or another member who had done the same. When asked what happened to the post, it was explained and all parties were  happy about it.  So that's the course I'd take.   If a mistake is instructional though and a person learn from it I'd suggest that be noted and the post remain thought.

Finally got mine to work with RX on bent out pin 2 and TX with a diode. Works without extra PSU on an 800XL (no other machines tested yet). I put in a switch to allow re-connection of pin 2 with the board for programming (I know it's a bit big but it was the smallest one around).

Still have another with the OSHPark V3 sub-board that will not work, makes strange SIO sounds. RX LED on the Arduino never lights up, so I suspect an intermittent fault in the SIO cable (which shows continuity between all the required pins on the plug and the connections on the sub-board) or cold solder joint .

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

SIO cable color code:

3    green
5    yellow
7    orange
4    orange-white
10    grey

57 minutes ago, slx said:

Finally got mine to work with RX on bent out pin 2 and TX with a diode. Works without extra PSU on an 800XL (no other machines tested yet). I put in a switch to allow re-connection of pin 2 with the board for programming (I know it's a bit big but it was the smallest one around).

Still have another with the OSHPark V3 sub-board that will not work, makes strange SIO sounds. RX LED on the Arduino never lights up, so I suspect an intermittent fault in the SIO cable (which shows continuity between all the required pins on the plug and the connections on the sub-board) or cold solder joint .

Would you be able to test something for me? Having issues with trying to create <new> image, format it then copy a physical floppy from 1050 drive to the new image. Keeps erorring out ERROR- 139.

I started a separate thread with this issue, but figured since you just completed your build (I did the pin to to RX as well, just no switch yet).

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

The documentation I said I'd write is coming along but it looks like you don't need it now!

Looks great! Even if I won't need it there was at least one other poster here who was waiting for the definitive word. Hope that goes up on the project webpage once finished.

Love the Baduino, interesting there's no Mehduino....;)

Now if anyone has an idea how to troubleshoot my Gooduino (lowest model) which simply refuses to recognize SIO.

13 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

Would you be able to test something for me? Having issues with trying to create <new> image, format it then copy a physical floppy from 1050 drive to the new image. Keeps erorring out ERROR- 139.

I started a separate thread with this issue, but figured since you just completed your build (I did the pin to to RX as well, just no switch yet).

Sorry, no physical floppy available at the time. Have you tried checking the "new" floppy image on an emulator. I never had luck with "new" floppy images made on the SIO2SD either.

1 hour ago, NISMOPC said:

You may have missed the edit to my original reply the other night, but I encountered the same error you did after I had created and formatted a new disk image on my SDMax. However, after rebooting the Atari back to DOS, I was able to successfully copy a physical disk to the new image. I just couldn’t do it until AFTER I had rebooted the Atari. 

54 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

You may have missed the edit to my original reply the other night, but I encountered the same error you did after I had created and formatted a new disk image on my SDMax. However, after rebooting the Atari back to DOS, I was able to successfully copy a physical disk to the new image. I just couldn’t do it until AFTER I had rebooted the Atari. 

I did see it (and thank you!), but still had no luck. Same ERROR- 139 no matter what procedure I attempt. Figured I'd have others try same procedure and post their results. Might be an issue, might not. I just haven't seen may posts of individuals duplicating physical floppy images to SDrive-Max atr images, so I don't have much to go on.

5 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

I did see it (and thank you!), but still had no luck. Same ERROR- 139 no matter what procedure I attempt. Figured I'd have others try same procedure and post their results. Might be an issue, might not. I just haven't seen may posts of individuals duplicating physical floppy images to SDrive-Max atr images, so I don't have much to go on.

I dug out a Rana 1000 and got the following results:

I could create a new floppy with the [New] button and was able to format it in both single density and enhanced density (999+ free) using DOS 2.5. I could copy a physical SD floppy to the formatted blank disk using J. Duplicate Disc.

When trying to copy from the physical disc to the blank disc using XDOS I got Error 138. Trying to copy a physical SD floppy to an ED formatted floppy (999+ free) I got Error 139. Copying a file from the physical SD floppy to a newly formatted virtual ED floppy in the SDrive worked as well. 

It's too late here to delve deeper into the XDOS problem but I assume it has something to do with density mix (although XDOS is supposed to sort this out automatically IIRC). Need to try other DOSes but don't have any useful on the microSD card that's in the SDrive.

Error 139 is "Command not known" in the XDOS documentation and NAK in "ordinary" DOS which probably means the same, so this sounds like XDOS sending a format command in a way that SDrive Max doesn't understand.

Is there documentation for the SDrive.atr user interface somewhere? SDrive.atr says V04 when pressing HELP and there is a version 5 in the SDrive NG section on the kbrnet webpage. Will try that one as well unless someone says it doesn't work.

Overall I can't say I'd find the user interface of sdrive.atr or SDrive Max particularly intuitive. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, slx said:

I dug out a Rana 1000 and got the following results:

Overall I can't say I'd find the user interface of sdrive.atr or SDrive Max particularly intuitive. 

SOLVED: Guess you can teach an old dog "old" tricks. I did not pay attention to the sectors on the disk I was attempting to image. Finally took a look and added up all the files. 707 sectors. SOB! I was trying to duplicate a physical SD image to a DD formatted disk on the SDrive-Max.

Anyhow, I created a <new> image and formatted it single D and all is well. Duplicated the 1050 physical floppy without any issues.

My S-Drive is operating as it should be and I finally figured out what was wrong. Me...  ;-)  ...back to the basics.

EDIT: This was all while using DOS 2.5 for those interested.

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

OK I said 'give me a couple of days' and it ended up being nearly a week but here is some documentation on the SDrive-MAX, I hope to never have to type "SDrive-MAX" ever again!

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/

Feel free to send me suggestions/ corrections

Generally excellent but I do have a (minor? important?) nit:

At one point you wite: "It’s possible to control almost every aspect of the SDM from the Atari menu program. If you are powering your SDM from your Atari, it is the only way to boot from a disk on the SDM. "

This isn't strictly accurate - perhaps for an absolutely stock machine, this may be correct as written. However, if you have a mod installed that allows cold-booting from a menu or key-combo, then you can power on the Atari, select whatever disk image(s), CAS files or XEX files that you like, then cold-boot the Atari. Since the Ultimate 1MB is certainly not ubiquitous among the active Atari community, but it's got to be one of the more common mods and upgrades so this point should be discussed at least in passing. 

Otherwise, great and very useful writeup!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

OK I said 'give me a couple of days' and it ended up being nearly a week but here is some documentation on the SDrive-MAX, I hope to never have to type "SDrive-MAX" ever again!

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/

Feel free to send me suggestions/ corrections

Thanks so much for writing this. I am waiting for my Sdrive Max. The documentation is very well written. It answered all of my questions on using the device. I had to use a lot more "trial and error" when learning to use my SIO2SD. 

It should be a good resource where people can be directed so the same questions are not asked over and over again.

Bob C

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

This isn't strictly accurate - perhaps for an absolutely stock machine, this may be correct as written. However, if you have a mod installed that allows cold-booting from a menu or key-combo, then you can power on the Atari, select whatever disk image(s), CAS files or XEX files that you like, then cold-boot the Atari. Since the Ultimate 1MB is certainly not ubiquitous among the active Atari community, but it's got to be one of the more common mods and upgrades so this point should be discussed at least in passing. 

Otherwise, great and very useful writeup!

Yup I accept that, I should add a line to the effect that any mod which can reboot your Atari without killing the power can be used in place of the SDrive menu. 

Thanks!

EDIT: *Done*

• Like 1

Hi,

I skimmed the write-up, but it looks pretty good. I'd just add details on the crimps you can use (KK 3.96) and the crimping tool (sn28b, correct me if I'm wrong), as you will need this information if you are 3D printing a Molex connector.

• Thanks 1