IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

3 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

I skimmed the write-up, but it looks pretty good. I'd just add details on the crimps you can use (KK 3.96) and the crimping tool (sn28b, correct me if I'm wrong), as you will need this information if you are 3D printing a Molex connector.

Thanks for that, it's information I didn't have and yes I'll add that in. *DONE*

3 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

You might also want to mention that if you boot while holding the shift key down you get a menu (1-5) with different boot program options.

Yep I left that out thinking most people were only interested in the touchscreen, I'll add it too!

EDIT: I have included a link in "Further Reading" to the full SDrive document written by Raster which includes all the keyboard options I haven't listed and options like pressing Shift+1-5 during startup. I feel it's the kind of functionality that most people won't be interested in and those that do are the sort of people who will read all of the available docs. 

3 hours ago, BigBen said:

Great job ?

The website of the Sdrive Max developer.

http://www.kbrnet.de/projekte/sdrive-max/index.html

English translation here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kbrnet.de%2Fprojekte%2Fsdrive-max%2Findex.html

Sorry to use the Evil Goo. If anyone knows of a better translator, let me know. The Evil Goo has been Busted, they can no longer be Trusted. :)

I've added Ctrl+R/W

Has anyone tested the FastSIO controls? I had a play with it but it didn't appear to make any difference to load times, I wonder if it's been disabled in favor of the drive timings for ATX

27 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I've added Ctrl+R/W

Has anyone tested the FastSIO controls? I had a play with it but it didn't appear to make any difference to load times, I wonder if it's been disabled in favor of the drive timings for ATX

Have you tried it on a machine with Hias’ High-Speed OS routines, a U1MB with PBI acceleration (using Jon’s BIOS) or some other solution and loading just a simple DOS ATR? 

Ive tried it on a 1088XEL, with and without PBI enabled, with and without "1050" checked, on various disks including DOS2.0 and DOS 2.5

The load tone sounds the same every time, and the load time seems to be the same. I didn't time it or anything, its all just my perception. This is why I asked if anyone else had tested it, at the moment I have a dataset of one.

• Like 1

Hi.

I am following the document. It is awesome so far. However, I am using an Uno that I think I played with this before. When I run XLoader on Windows and select either 'hex file, it just says uploading... and never seems to finish. While doing that, the XDrive screen (v. 0.7)is showing. Do I need to do something special if there is already an XDrive image loaded.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Hi.

I am following the document. It is awesome so far. However, I am using an Uno that I think I played with this before. When I run XLoader on Windows and select either 'hex file, it just says uploading... and never seems to finish. While doing that, the XDrive screen (v. 0.7)is showing. Do I need to do something special if there is already an XDrive image loaded.

Thank you.

I haven't tested the Windows instructions (Mac/Linux user here), I got them from someone else, I'll dig out a windows laptop and do that tomorrow, and update if I made a mistake. 

The latest version of XLoader now directly supports the UNO so you should pick that from the device list, other than that you should just need to get the correct com port and hit go. 

I've updated the instructions to say pick the right device, but I wont get chance to actually try it until tomorrow.

I got the instructions from here http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-xloader

EDIT: it helps if I point at the correct version of XLoader!

http://xloader.russemotto.com

Updated link on page too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

The latest version of XLoader now directly supports the UNO so you should pick that from the device list, other than that you should just need to get the correct com port and hit go. 

I've updated the instructions to say pick the right device, but I wont get chance to actually try it until tomorrow.

I got the instructions from here http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/arduino-xloader

EDIT: it helps if I point at the correct version of XLoader!

http://xloader.russemotto.com

Updated link on page too

YES!

Now Windows and Mac both work the same way! (I've tested your instructions on both and the experience and results are the same. They both seem to work fine.)

THANK YOU!

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I've added Ctrl+R/W

FastSIO works great with Hias's routines.  Runs great at zero on my U1MB 600xl with Hias OS selected.  You can definitely hear the difference.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Hmm! I will have to try again, thanks!

Actually just enabling the PBI BIOS will do it if you have a U1MB.  Hias's routines are built in to it. Antonia is the upgrade I had to use a Hias modified OS ROM with.

Okay this is WEIRD. I don't think @flashjazzcat has one of these devices. Too bad, because it might come in handy for dev purposes when he sees a result like this head-scratcher:

With the U1MB HSIO routines disabled in the BIOS of my 1088XLD, I get these results to a 130K ATR formatted with Atari DOS 2.5, sitting in the D1: slot of my SDrive-MAX:

DOS writing:  2792.970924 B/sec

DOS reading:  7699.837443 B/sec

DOS average:  5246.40415 B/sec

Overall run-time:  0:0:36.96 (2218)

Overall time spent in IO:  0:0:31.93 (1916)

Now when I enabled HSIO, and using the very same ATR and SDrive-MAX device just moments later, I got these results (which I verified by running RWTEST twice and got identical results, down to the last decimal places):

DOS writing:  2804.940799 B/sec

DOS reading:  3708.137034 B/sec

DOS average:  3256.538916 B/sec

Overall run-time:  0:0:56.10 (3366)

Overall time spent in IO:  0:0:40.98 (2459)

So, what gives? ?

Some information on how drive emulation is set up on the SDrive (such as the divisor, emulated drive type, skew, etc) would be essential, I think. @HiassofT wrote the high-speed SIO driver and also the SDrive high-speed firmware, so perhaps he would have an idea.

Edited by flashjazzcat

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Some information on how drive emulation is set up on the SDrive (such as the divisor, emulated drive type, skew, etc) would be essential, I think. @Hias wrote the high-speed SIO driver and also the SDrive high-speed firmware, so perhaps he would have an idea.

The code is here though I'm not familiar enough with Arduino code (a variant of C or C+?) to do more than a cursory look-see for interesting bit.

https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max

So I did some more tests. 

If the SDrive-MAX is powered off (and thus not listening to the bus) when the Atari boots, it will be stuck at standard Atari IO speeds (more or less - I'm going by the SIO beeps), regardless of the setting in the U1MB BIOS.  

If it's powered on at the time the Atari boots, it will perform as indicated above. Enabling HSIO in the BIOS will give a very small increase in SIO writes, but will nearly cut SIO reads in half compared to disabling the HSIO in the BIOS. 

As for why, I have no idea. 

What POKEY divisor is your Sdrive-MAX set to?  Without optimizing that to your setup, you won't see an improvement. The routines need to negotiate for speed.  That happens at boot time, but I seem to recall that you can force it to re-negotiate.

Edited by JR>

3 minutes ago, JR> said:

What POKEY divisor is your Sdrive-MAX set to?  Without optimizing that to your setup, you won't see an improvement.

There's no way to set the POKEY divisor from the configuration menu of the SDrive-MAX touch screen. 

11 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

There's no way to set the POKEY divisor from the configuration menu of the SDrive-MAX touch screen. 

Yeah, I really wish there was.  You have to use the SDRIVEN.COM menu to set and save the pokey divisor.

Okay. I finally made this thing. I clipped the red wire and am using an external power supply. I am doing the simple install with only one device.

When I try to boot, it beeps once and then the blue "Ready" area says SIO:CMD Timeout.

I used an ohm meter the check continuity from the pin port on the Uno (stick a jumper wire in the hole that has a bare stripped end and the other side of the Ohm meter gently goes into the SIO connector). All five pins had very low impedance (before I snipped the red wire...).

I hooked a drive up and booted myDos and then unhooked the drive and hooked up the drive. When I try to run disk directory on drive one it just says there are zero sectors. Tried several different disk images.

Any ideas?

Thank you.