IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

7 hours ago, kbr said:

Backside please!

Oh dear, why are there so much variants in the wild...

@hawkChanging X and Y should not be a big problem, but building for each variant an extra firmware will end in a mess. I am thinking about an autodetection...

@kbr I'm assuming that you're aware of this guy's work with MCUFriend TFT panels and Arduinos. https://github.com/prenticedavid/MCUFRIEND_kbv/blob/master/extras/mcufriend_how_to.txt

I wouldn't go a look there if I were you...it will scare you the number of variants he has identified.

This seems like good info though...

12. These Mcufriend-style shields tend to have a resistive TouchScreen on A1, 7, A2, 6 but are not always the same rotation of direction.

The TouchScreen_Calibr_native.ino sketch wiil diagnose Touch Pins, do Calibration, report to Serial Terminal.

The Calibration should work with the TouchScreen.h library from Adafruit.
  You can always copy the local TouchScreen_kbv.h library from sketch to the global user libraries folder.

BTW, what platform do you develop SDrive-Max firmware on?

I can build easily on OS X, however on windows, when I used WinAVR, I got compilation errors associated with PGM_P.  When I went to AVR Studio 6.? I got it to compile, but haven't yet tested the new binary.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I bought a SDrive-MAX from E-bay. It works good, firmware V1.1 is in the device (it has the "SIO fix").

However I have a question on the use of it:
I like to use my Atari 1050 and XF551 in combination with the SDrive-MAX.
The 1050 is D1, the 551 is D2 and want to have the SDrive handle D3 and D4 only and NOT D1 or D2..

Is this possible??

When I load an image on the SDrive with all four of them empty this image automaticly becomes D1, even if I choose the D3 or D4 drive.
I have a few floppys I'd like to create .ATR images of... (or at least, want to try.... ? )

Edited by PE1PQX

44 minutes ago, PE1PQX said:

I like to use my Atari 1050 and XF551 in combination with the SDrive-MAX.
The 1050 is D1, the 551 is D2 and want to have the SDrive handle D3 and D4 only and NOT D1 or D2..

Is this possible??

When I load an image on the SDrive with all four of them empty this image automaticly becomes D1, even if I choose the D3 or D4 drive.
I have a few floppys I'd like to create .ATR images of... (or at least, want to try.... ? )

I think you can switch off/disable individual drives on the SDrive Max by touching the lift side of the respective drive's "box"/button.

16 hours ago, PE1PQX said:

Is this possible??

Yes, this is a feature of sdrive* to quickly switch an other slot to act as bootdrive D1:, other drives will be renumbered respectively. Select the first slot as D1:, let them empty, and you will get all drives in it's normal order, while D1: is acting off, and so on... Empty slots are always acting as drive off/not present!

39 minutes ago, PE1PQX said:

In other words: booting from 1050 is not possible with SDrive MAX active and connected??
Leaving D1 empty in the SDrive causes 'BOOT ERROR' while trying to boot from 1050 drive.

Yes it certainly is. Or it should be. Make sure the D1: slot in the SDM is empty, your 1050 is set to D1: and powered on with a valid boot disk in the drive. 

1 hour ago, toddtmw said:

Also, whoever made you SDM would have had to properly added support for it to work with other IDE devices. 

Details of this can be looked up in another thread but it basically means that SDrive Maxes can be built in different ways and the "easy" will result in other devices on the SIO bus not being recognized. If your SDrive Max has a socketed ATMega chip you can change this yourself by bending up one leg of the ATMega before re-inserting it. If it is an SMD version you need a little board between the SIO cable and the SDrive. The seller should know which way the SDrive was built.

2 hours ago, PE1PQX said:

In other words: booting from 1050 is not possible with SDrive MAX active and connected??
Leaving D1 empty in the SDrive causes 'BOOT ERROR' while trying to boot from 1050 drive.

Sure it is, the easiest way to test this, is to leave all slots empty, and select any of them, except the special slot D0:, then SDRIVE.ATR would act as D1:!

Otherwise there is a hardware problem, like the other guys commented.

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

make sure boot d1: is off in the cfg

not necessarily, this has only effect on power-up, but if SDM is powered by SIO, this may help.

Edited by kbr
typo

Thanks everyone.. Will 'play' with it later. I'm on sick-leave of my work now (sore back) so I have some time to fool around at home.
The SDrive-MAX I bougt is a non-socketed (SMD) version, with an added IC board in it.
I have no option other than power it via USB (no suitable power adapter available at the moment, and no desire to power it from SIO).

Seller (Ebay): Voidabone, see https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sdrive-Max-Atari-8bit-800xl-600xl-65xe-130xe-Atari-XEGS-sio2sd-sio-tape-disk-fix/173710208225?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Should work, you 

23 minutes ago, PE1PQX said:

The SDrive-MAX I bougt is a non-socketed (SMD) version, with an added IC board in it.
I have no option other than power it via USB (no suitable power adapter available at the moment, and no desire to power it from SIO).

Should work with other devices. Have you asked the seller about the purpose of the switch?

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, vazquezrick said:

I have a SD-Max and somehow the touch screen is not calibrated. Can someone please tell me how to recalibrate the screen?

Thank you

Power it off and touch the screen with the power off. While still touching the screen, power it back on.  As it boots up, it should go to the calibration routine with a little marker in the upper left to begin the calibration process. Touch the marker, then repeat for the other 3 corners. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm finally getting to play with my Sdrive-Max... It's nice! I'm trying to use the built in software to select disks to load - the SDrive.com software. This is on an Atari 800, btw. I can get it to boot into it by clicking the D0 icon and power cycling the computer. The file listing comes up and I can navigate around. However there are a couple semi-related items. If I go into a directory, the list is not sorted. So in combination of an unsorted list, and shortened file names, it makes it tough to find anything. I see that there is a "Find" command, and when I do hit Ctrl-F, it displays "Find" for me to enter text, but nothing I enter works. Nothing is found, nothing is displayed. So I have to go page by page and try to decipher the file names. 

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, tsom said:

If I go into a directory, the list is not sorted. So in combination of an unsorted list, and shortened file names, it makes it tough to find anything. I see that there is a "Find" command, and when I do hit Ctrl-F, it displays "Find" for me to enter text, but nothing I enter works. Nothing is found, nothing is displayed. So I have to go page by page and try to decipher the file names. 

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks!

Yes. For the unsorted problem, you need a utility that physically sorts the files on the SD card prior to using it with Sdrive Max. I compiled fatsort on my Mac to do this. There’s a Windows utility that’s always recommended as well. I just can’t think of the name right now. 

For the long filename support, hit Ctrl-L on the Atari to display long filenames and Ctrl-W to save the configuration. 

This site is a wonderful resource with information on the Sdrive Max:

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max

Bob C

• Like 2