IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

12 hours ago, darwinmac said:

Yes. For the unsorted problem, you need a utility that physically sorts the files on the SD card prior to using it with Sdrive Max. I compiled fatsort on my Mac to do this. There’s a Windows utility that’s always recommended as well. I just can’t think of the name right now. 

For the long filename support, hit Ctrl-L on the Atari to display long filenames and Ctrl-W to save the configuration. 

This site is a wonderful resource with information on the Sdrive Max:

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max

Bob C

There’s a Windows version of FatSort as well. DriveSort, that does the same thing. I use it every time I add new stuff to my SD and CF cards.

Edited by DrVenkman
Fix inadvertent misinformation

11 hours ago, darwinmac said:

Yes. For the unsorted problem, you need a utility that physically sorts the files on the SD card prior to using it with Sdrive Max. I compiled fatsort on my Mac to do this. There’s a Windows utility that’s always recommended as well. I just can’t think of the name right now. 

For the long filename support, hit Ctrl-L on the Atari to display long filenames and Ctrl-W to save the configuration. 

This site is a wonderful resource with information on the Sdrive Max:

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max

Bob C

Thanks. I did see that site and it helped some. I had a feeling I’d have to manually sort the files. I was going to possibly move files into sub directories by initial letter. 

But, I still can’t do a Find. Does Find just not work? (The 800 I have is a standard 48k model)

thanks!

31 minutes ago, tsom said:

But, I still can’t do a Find. Does Find just not work? (The 800 I have is a standard 48k model)

From the original manual:-

Control+F (Find) ... The item beginning with the string entered is looked for in the current directory. (‘?’ means one any character.)

Shift+A to Shift+Z, Shift+? ... Fast search of a file beginning with the letter pressed in the current directory.
F, Space ... Search of the next occurrence of the string entered. (Beep indicates unsuccessful search.)

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

There’s a Windows version of FatSort as well.

Is that DriveSort? I've added a link to FATSort and DriveSort to the SDM page but I've no windows system to test DriveSort on.

20 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Control+F (Find) ... The item beginning with the string entered is looked for in the current directory. (‘?’ means one any character.)

Shift+A to Shift+Z, Shift+? ... Fast search of a file beginning with the letter pressed in the current directory.
F, Space ... Search of the next occurrence of the string entered. (Beep indicates unsuccessful search.)

Is that DriveSort? I've added a link to FATSort and DriveSort to the SDM page but I've no windows system to test DriveSort on.

Oops, sorry yes. That’s the one. (Clearly not enough coffee when I posted this morning - I’ll edit my post for clarity).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Yeah, I try doing that - Hit Control+F, it displays Find: at the bottom, but no matter what I type nothing happens. Do I have to type something first, then hit Control-F?

The Shift+a to Shift+Z doesn't do anything either.

Is there a newer version of the SDrive software that I need to install?

and FWIW, on MacOS, FATSort can be installed easily with Home-brew.

Thanks.

41 minutes ago, tsom said:

FWIW, on MacOS, FATSort can be installed easily with Home-brew

Thanks for that, I didn't think to check if there was a formula for it. I've updated the page.

I don't have a working Atari I can use to test the search for you at the moment, my main machine is in bits. One thought is how many files do you have in the directory you are trying to search? If there are lots it could take quite a while to do the search, the side loader is pretty spritely and it can take a couple of minutes on a big collection I can't imagine the SDM one is any quicker than FJC's code.

33 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Thanks for that, I didn't think to check if there was a formula for it. I've updated the page.

I don't have a working Atari I can use to test the search for you at the moment, my main machine is in bits. One thought is how many files do you have in the directory you are trying to search? If there are lots it could take quite a while to do the search, the side loader is pretty spritely and it can take a couple of minutes on a big collection I can't imagine the SDM one is any quicker than FJC's code.

The one folder of files I tries does have quite a bit of files, but I also tried it with smaller folders and nothing.

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I think this is the latest, am I wrong?

https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/tree/v12

The latest official release is: https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/releases/tag/V1.1

In v12 there is only a beta for a firmware for HX8347D, a combination of HX8347G(screen) and HX8347I(touch), and ILI9341 with ILI9340 touch.

Binary: https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/releases/download/v1.2b1/sdrive-max-v12b1.zip, https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/files/3481413/sdrive-max-v12b2.zip

Edited by kbr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kbr said:

The latest official release is: https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/releases/tag/V1.1

In v12 there is only a beta for a firmware for HX8347D, a combination of HX8347G(screen) and HX8347I(touch), and ILI9341 with ILI9340 touch.

Binary: https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/releases/download/v1.2b1/sdrive-max-v12b1.zip, https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/files/3481413/sdrive-max-v12b2.zip

I looked at the code and I don’t see any changes to the actual sdrive.com code - there’s been no changes for a while. (As far as I can tell)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just tried to build a new SDrive-Max, this time with the SIO fix. I've flashed the firmware (I got a time-out error when writing SDrive.atr), but the SDrive-Max seems to work OK when I power it from the USB connector. When I put in a microSD card with 8-bit files on, I can navigate to a file and set it to D1, so I think the firmware and touchscreen/Arduino are good (I have seen a thread on resetting to an empty firmware, but I will try that later).

When I remove the USB cable, and hook it up to the 8-bit, I just get a white screen on the SDrive-Max. I figure there may be a short, or I have messed up the 74xx chip, or miss-wired it, but I can't see anything obviously wrong, though I have been on this all evening, and want to call it a day. Is this a familiar problem to anyone - I've attached pictures of the SDrive Max, apologies to those who can solder!

Incidentally, if I disconnect the SIO connector, and power from USB, the SDrive-Max displays the normal menu/screen, so I don't think I have fried the screen or Arduino. Also, I had to go with thicker wire for the SIO connectors as the crimps kept on coming off.

Thanks to anyone that can help!

chip orientation.jpg

chip connections.jpg

chip in place.jpg

chip in place 2.jpg

underside.jpg

sio connections.jpg

Only thought is you can not power from USB and SIO. You either wire up +5V from the SIO OR power by USB. If you plan to power by USB the +5V from SIO is not connected. I do not see a switch inline, so I can not tell what direction you took for power. Removing the SIO plug and powering by USB tells me you are attempting to run both SIO +5V and USB at same time.

Hi,

If I power from the (micro) USB connector, the normal SDrive Max screen/menu is displayed, but at this point, I haven't connected the SDrive-Max to the 8-bit, I'm just testing how well it works.

If I disconnect the USB, and connect the SIO, I just get a white screen (sorry if this wasn't clear).

10 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

If I power from the (micro) USB connector, the normal SDrive Max screen/menu is displayed, but at this point, I haven't connected the SDrive-Max to the 8-bit, I'm just testing how well it works.

If I disconnect the USB, and connect the SIO, I just get a white screen (sorry if this wasn't clear).

When you connect SIO to device and turn on the Computer, you should boot to SDrive menu on the monitor/TV screen. I think the power that is coming from pin 10 of the SIO is not enough to fully power the TFT screen of the SDrive. There are several causes for this, depending on how heavenly moded your computer is . As a summery, if you are using a stock computer the device screen should come on. But if you are using a moded 8 bit computer, it is likely that the power coming from the computer will not be enough.

Best practice, is to use a 9-12v external power supply.

madi

Edited by Madi

12 hours ago, E474 said:

Hi,

Either REMOVE the +5V connection to SIO or put a switch in line to turn it off when using the USB power. Then connect SIO to computer and try it.

As stated above, it sounds like the 8-bit is not providing the full required power needed via SIO. You can only power via one of the three options.

You can't have the SIO +5V connected and power the unit via USB at same time. This is probably causing the white screen issues. 

Edited by NISMOPC

Hi,

I'm using an 800XL - there shouldn't be any power issues as I have already built 1 SDrive-MAX (before the SIO contention fix was available), and this works fine.

I checked to see if the new SDrive-Max boots OK using just an SIO connector, and I only get a white screen on the SDrive-Max, and the 800XL drops into Self Test.

I've tried removing the SIO +5v connector, and powering from USB, and the SDrive displays the menu on the TFT touch screen, but the 800XL drops through to Self Test, so probably the SIO fix circuit is suspect in some way. I'm going to try making a new SIO fix circuit, and see how that goes.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, Mr Robot said:

A test version of the V5 board went off to OSHPark yesterday, now with power switch, power and rx/tx LED headers.

UNO2SIOb.pngUNO2SIOf.png

I am having some difficulties tracing the pins of V5 board.

It looks as if TX-RX led signals pins are switched out. This may be due to some mixed up in the routing.

Can you clarify please?

Thanks

• Like 2

I changed the silk screen... then changed it back. I think it's correct to think of it from the drives (and therefore the UNO's) perspective.

I guess just blinking a single LED for activity would get rid of the problem, and be more authentic.

• Like 1