IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

Hi everyone, I was searching the atari8bit.net site and can't find any info on who I can contact about that site, I would like to contribute to the Flash programming section of the sdrive-max instructions/tutorial as I just went through the hassles of flashing, attempting on Windows Mac and Linux.  I'd like to contribute so other wouldn't have to spend time searching for the issues as I did.  Anyways, anyone know who I could reach out to and how to reach out to them?

Thanks, Mike

Welcome to the forums!

At the bottom of every page there is a footer with links to contact the author, including the (highlighted) link to his AtariAge profile. 

1724826351_Screenshot2020-10-09at16_06_02.png.2ccedd8d2cc0100a0068ff90a7ef5ac1.png

But it's my website so that would be me, what can I do for you?

Sorry I'm an old internet fart and was looking for "Contact Me" and an email address ;-)  I don't do much social media and generally mentally skip those, not thinking they are ways to get a hold of someone!  Thanks!!!!

Anyways I have just been through the process of trying to program the Uno on Windows, Mac and Linux and after a bit of issues was able to determine the steps necessary to get drivers to work correctly on MacOS to be able to talk to the programmer on the Uno behind the USB controller.  In my case the USB controller is the CH340 FTDI USB controller.  Sparkfun has the correct drivers and steps necessary to be able to over ride the default driver Apple provides and use the correct driver.  I was able to program the Uno with Linux, but plan to test the Sparkfun steps to ensure it works before we update the docs.

Mike 

No one in their right mind posts an email address on a web page nowadays! The spam problem is bad enough without publicising a valid address to send junk to.

What problems were you hitting when you followed the instructions on the page? I documented the steps I took to program the uno as I wrote the docs, I even looked for simpler ways to do it as most people doing it aren't particularly technical, hence the use of gui based flashers where available. 

What issues did you encounter?

Very good point about email addresses....

With the Uno's with the CH340, which are the one's pictured on your page as Bestduino, you get this error on MacOS (Mojave)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Mike

I do appear to need some community help.  I followed the installation steps, it discovered the panel, then I did the second hex file and it had me calibrate the display and it came up saying it needed the SDrive.atr which I then copied to the SD card and then booted the uno again.  It appears to do nothing when I touch it anywhere on the GUI.  If I leave it for a while it goes into a screen saver and I can touch it and the screen saver stops and the GUI comes back but I still can't interact with the GUI.  The touch screen is the ELEGOO UNO R3 EL-SM-004, it says it has ILI9341.  Here the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUVJYME

I have not even connected it yet to the Atari.

Any suggestions?

I hope I'm in the correct forum for these two topics...

Edited by nemike

1 hour ago, nemike said:

I do appear to need some community help.  I followed the installation steps, it discovered the panel, then I did the second hex file and it had me calibrate the display and it came up saying it needed the SDrive.atr which I then copied to the SD card and then booted the uno again.  It appears to do nothing when I touch it anywhere on the GUI.  If I leave it for a while it goes into a screen saver and I can touch it and the screen saver stops and the GUI comes back but I still can't interact with the GUI.  The touch screen is the ELEGOO UNO R3 EL-SM-004, it says it has ILI9341.  Here the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUVJYME

I have not even connected it yet to the Atari.

Any suggestions?

I hope I'm in the correct forum for these two topics...

Maybe try different sd card. Does it say ready on the screen?

Edited by archeocomp

Yes, it says Ready at the bottom.  I did try no sd card, it then didn’t say ready, but shouldn’t you be able press something, maybe CFG or something?  I try pressing all over and nonthing ever happens.  But as I said once it goes into screen saver mode I can tap it and it goes back to showing the GUI.

1 hour ago, nemike said:

Yes, it says Ready at the bottom.  I did try no sd card, it then didn’t say ready, but shouldn’t you be able press something, maybe CFG or something?  I try pressing all over and nonthing ever happens.  But as I said once it goes into screen saver mode I can tap it and it goes back to showing the GUI.

Try pressing the screen when powering up to reinvoke the screen calibration. 

8 hours ago, nemike said:

This looks like you have the wrong usb device selected, I'd need the full command line you used and the list of all your usb devices. I've used the arduino sdk bundled avrdude to program that uno model on mojave and catalina with no issues so it's likely a workflow issue. 

7 hours ago, nemike said:

It appears to do nothing when I touch it anywhere on the GUI.  If I leave it for a while it goes into a screen saver and I can touch it and the screen saver stops and the GUI comes back but I still can't interact with the GUI.

This does sound like bad calibration, as @toddtmw says, try pressing the screen as you power it up to trigger the recalibration routine.

4 hours ago, nemike said:

I had a similar issue, a different SD card resolved it 

5 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

This looks like you have the wrong usb device selected, I'd need the full command line you used and the list of all your usb devices. I've used the arduino sdk bundled avrdude to program that uno model on mojave and catalina with no issues so it's likely a workflow issue. 

So today I installed Mojave fresh on a system, updated to 10.14.6, install Ardunio via the link in your instructions, run it, exited it, downloaded and ran HexUploader, it shows nothing in the HexUploader window, I've attached pics of HexUploader window as I select stuff.  And lastly here is a run of ps to show the process:

$ ps -eaf | grep avr

501  1330  1319   0  4:58PM ??         0:00.29 /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -F -Cavrdude.conf -pm328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI -D -Uflash:w:/Users/admin/Downloads/sdrive-max-v12/atmega328-ili9341/eeprom_writer.hex

Here are the devices in /dev

crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   2 Oct 10 16:41 tty.usbserial-A50285BI

crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   3 Oct 10 16:41 cu.usbserial-A50285BI

Left it running for a while and nothing ever happened.  This is all different than I experienced on my main system, but I do have lots of different stuff like MPLAB, Renesas development, etc, which is why I did a fresh OS install to work through the testing to get the instructions narrowed down.

After waiting for 10-20 minutes while I wrote this all up, I finally unplugged the USB and got these messages in the HexUploader window:

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: Device not configured

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Device not configured

avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: Device not configured

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I will wait for a reply from you before I test the Sparkfun CH340 drivers https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.57.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.58.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.58.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.59.09 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi,

I had a similar problem, and @MacRorie very kindly uploaded a couple of files for blanking the EPROM/firmware.

It's in this thread - 

on the second page - am posting just before calling it a night, so apologies if I have skimmed over the problem, etc.

Hope this helps, and if it does, maybe worth updating the docs? 

I am still trying to get my sdrive-max to work, I've tried as suggested to re-calibrate and I've tried several different SD cards, but nothing makes any difference.  As I mentioned before, calibration works, after the sdrive-max goes into screen saver I can tap the screen and the GUI re-appears, but taping anything on the screen does nothing.  The touch screen is the ELEGOO UNO R3 EL-SM-004, it says it has ILI9341.  Here the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUVJYME

HELP!

Actually those coordinates were indeed indicating a problem, they should be more reasonable like in the end when I got this:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_85d.thumb.jpg.c68652f86d9b5e24f19ddf32c3aa5306.jpg

Note the values, this time are not within 1 and 5 pixels of each other, this time the coordinates are separated by 823 and 829.

After lots of reading datasheets and source code for sdrive-max, tft.c / eeprom-writer.c and loading the example elegoo paint program and that worked fine.

My problem was the first time it auto-detected the touch screen it incorrectly "guessed" the pinouts for the touch screen.

I'm all set now and it's working good.

I might contribute some code changes to the calibrate to allow for testing the coordinates, including a suggestion to redo the eeprom-writer to auto-detect again.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, nemike said:

So today I installed Mojave fresh on a system, updated to 10.14.6, install Ardunio via the link in your instructions, run it, exited it, downloaded and ran HexUploader, it shows nothing in the HexUploader window, I've attached pics of HexUploader window as I select stuff.  And lastly here is a run of ps to show the process:

$ ps -eaf | grep avr

501  1330  1319   0  4:58PM ??         0:00.29 /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -F -Cavrdude.conf -pm328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI -D -Uflash:w:/Users/admin/Downloads/sdrive-max-v12/atmega328-ili9341/eeprom_writer.hex

Here are the devices in /dev

crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   2 Oct 10 16:41 tty.usbserial-A50285BI

crw-rw-rw-   1 root      wheel      18,   3 Oct 10 16:41 cu.usbserial-A50285BI

Left it running for a while and nothing ever happened.  This is all different than I experienced on my main system, but I do have lots of different stuff like MPLAB, Renesas development, etc, which is why I did a fresh OS install to work through the testing to get the instructions narrowed down.

After waiting for 10-20 minutes while I wrote this all up, I finally unplugged the USB and got these messages in the HexUploader window:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I will wait for a reply from you before I test the Sparkfun CH340 drivers https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.57.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.58.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.58.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.59.09 PM.png

Yeah, OK that does look like something is wrong. I wonder if I've got drivers installed I didn't know about from some other arduino project in the past. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the hard work you are putting into this! 

On 10/15/2020 at 6:55 AM, Mr Robot said:

Yeah, OK that does look like something is wrong. I wonder if I've got drivers installed I didn't know about from some other arduino project in the past. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the hard work you are putting into this! 

Thanks I wanna contribute to make thing easier for others.  If there is any other testing I can do, especially if you determine what you think you have on your system, I can try it here.

I currently just program the arduino from linux for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i bought an Arduino UNO and a ili9341 2.4" lcd to make an SDrive form my atari XeGs unfortunately i only got a white screen. I tried everything not even the Adafruit, Lcdwiki, MCUfriend, examples on Arduino IDE got the screen to work.

Then i found this blog

http://blog.yarda.eu/2015/09/how-to-get-chinese-24-tft-lcd-ili9341.html

His modified code is the only one that got my screen to finally display something.

I copied the initialization that worked on my screen and added this part to the ili9341 screen initialization code of SDrive on Display.c

#else
    TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_POWERA);
    TFT_write(0x39); 
    TFT_write(0x2C); 
    TFT_write(0x00); 
    TFT_write(0x34); 
    TFT_write(0x02);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_POWERB);
    TFT_write(0x00); 
    TFT_write(0XA2); 
    TFT_write(0XF0); 

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DTCA);
    TFT_write(0x84); 
    TFT_write(0x11); 
    TFT_write(0x7A);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DTCB);
    TFT_write(0x66); 
    TFT_write(0x00);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_POWER_SEQ);
    TFT_write(0x55); 
    TFT_write(0x01); 
    TFT_write(0X23); 
    TFT_write(0X01); 

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_PRC);
	TFT_write(0x20);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_POWER1);
	TFT_write(0x23);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_POWER2);
    TFT_write(0x10);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_VCOM1);
    TFT_write(0x2B);
    TFT_write(0x2B); 

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_VCOM2);
    TFT_write(0xC0);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_MAC);
    TFT_write(0x80);   
    TFT_write(0x08); 

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_PIXEL_FORMAT);
    TFT_write(0x55);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_FRC);
	TFT_write(0x00);  
    TFT_write(0x1B);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_ENTRY_MODE_SET);
	TFT_write(0x07);

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_SLEEP_OUT);
    delay_ms(150);
    //TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DISPLAY_ON);
    //TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_GRAM);
#endif
}

and

#else
    TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DISPLAY_ON);
    delay_ms(500);
    //TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_GRAM);
#endif

delay after initialization.

Recompiled and finally got it to work. I'm practically an illiterate in programing so maybe there's a better way of doing this, but at least now it works.

I just wanted to post this to help other people with the same problem.

The attached file is an Arduino IDE modified LCDWiki example file to test the screen.

ili9341SimpleTest.ino

Hi,

I think @kbrwrote the software for the SDrive-Max, you might want to try and message him via his AtariAge account - I think he also is a member of ABBUC, and there is a github repo for the SDrive-Max that holds the sources, though I don't have the URL for it to hand.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...