IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

Curious question: Is there any reason why I should not use the following locations with red arrows for the SIO instead of the headers on either side? Seems to me that it would be slightly cleaner to solder the RX, TX, +5V and Gnd locations near the A5 on the PCB instead of stretched out across the other duplicate locations.

attachicon.gif07261816231.jpg

I have the two of the same board. I used those alternate +5V and Ground vias there at the bottom of your pic for one of my builds. Works great. I didn't try using the TxD or RxD vias there however.

I have the two of the same board. I used those alternate +5V and Ground vias there at the bottom of your pic for one of my builds. Works great. I didn't try using the TxD or RxD vias there however.

I don't have the exact same board, but that's where I tapped most of my connections. Just test them first to make sure they actually go where they are supposed to!

I went for it and...

...it worked! I definitely like that all the wires are tightly soldered in one location.

post-61269-0-75763800-1532648179_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-00303100-1532648185_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-98092900-1532648189_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-35361400-1532648197_thumb.jpg

Now to work on getting a case.

• Like 5

Farb,

I have your casse ready to ship, but am looking for people's advice on the best way to ship to Germany from US.

Anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

I would think standard postal service or DHL would be the cheapest options depending on weight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I did some further testing, and there are 2 different .ATX files out there for this, one listed as (Epyx), the other listed as (Rushware)(DE), I couldn't get the Epyx file to work (would hang trying to go into the dungeon), where the Rushware release allowed me to go in. Now if I could just remember HOW to play the damn thing and not get killed by the first thing I find, it'd be great, LOL. I'm going to remix the case design a bit this weekend as the exit for the cable is too small for the actual cable I'm using (very old aftermarket SIO cable with a pretty darn thick jacket), and may move it slightly to one side so it doesn't exit straight behind the header on the Uno. If it works out and anybody wants the remixed case, let me know and I'll throw the remix up on Thingiverse.

I just tried Temple of Apshai Trilogy in NTSC XL mode booting with the Option key. I created a character at random and entered level 1 of Temple of Apshai. It showed the dungeon very quickly and I was able to move around until I was quickly killed by a mosquito. Bit of a let down.

What specifically were you trying that was causing it to hang?

I went for it and...

...it worked! I definitely like that all the wires are tightly soldered in one location.

attachicon.gif0726181922.jpg

attachicon.gif0726181922a.jpg

attachicon.gif0726181926.jpg

attachicon.gif0726181930.jpg

Now to work on getting a case.

Hey i like that pcb! Where did you find that one?

i don't think mine has those holes in the pcb already.. I can see the plus to having it this way..

I also have to add, how did you get it to play just pac-man? I wasn't aware this could do binaries?

Edited by GrandviewCoin

I just did a pull request with support for this display... It was an easy fix.

did this get integrated? if not where can I grab the hex files, my screen doesn't work and may need this...

if it's waiting for q/a and you don't want it in the forum please PM them to me, I am guinea pig :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

did this get integrated? if not where can I grab the hex files, my screen doesn't work and may need this...

if it's waiting for q/a and you don't want it in the forum please PM them to me, I am guinea pig :)

They got added last week. The current Master branch has support for four types of screens now - hx8347g; ili9329; ili9340; and ili9341. The newest addition ili9430, is *NOT* a part of the v08 branch.

• Like 1

For those that are hesitant (like myself) in cutting an existing good SIO cable, Lotharek's Half (1/2) SIO cable looks to be a viable option. It is a 10" cable for about $8 - $9 US plus shipping.

https://www.lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=174

Lotharek's Half (1/2) SIO cable connects the following wires to the end of the cable connection: DATA IN (pin 3), DATA OUT (pin 5), COMMAND (pin 7), GROUND (pin 4), and +5VDC (pin 10). Perfect for connection to an SDrive-MAX.

• Like 1

Yes, I know... which is why I was hoping he'd pm me the fix for me to try easily... I not sure I want to go down the garden path..... I just wanted to make another screen useful..

What screen in particular are you looking for (Master branch or the current v08 branch) and which screen do you need?

They got added last week. The current Master branch has support for four types of screens now - hx8347g; ili9329; ili9340; and ili9341. The newest addition ili9430, is *NOT* a part of the v08 branch.

I have merged the ili9430 into the v08 branch as well.

• Like 5

So those 'imperfect' cases I mentioned earlier. This roll of grey PLA has annoyed me with it's inconsistency - but rather than chuck the roll I figured why not print some more cases with it...

This is what I've got so far, a few are already spoken for. Shipping in a bubbleope to US addresses should be about $3.50

302fQm.jpg

Would it be possible to send the halves apart ? Woudt it then be possible to send one to Europe as a letter ? (Bubble envelope) ? This would make it surely interesting enough...would love one :)

Why would sending a bubble envelope fro the US not be possible ? I've received plenty of them from the US.
Never mind, I seem to be on Remowiliams ignore list anyway, I'll ask a local friend to print it.

To do this on a Mac with HighSierra and a cheap UNO clone with CH430G serial chip:

Install a driver for the CH430G serial chip that is used on that UNO first.

I found that here:

http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_MAC_ZIP.html

Yes it's all Chinese, but simply click on the blue button with the cloud and downpointing arrow and you'll be fine.

Download it and open the file, double click the .pkg file and follow instructions. Depending on your security settings you may get a warning and you have to change the setting (is indicated right during the process).

Next open terminal and execute:

- cd /dev

- ls

Now I can see the UNO listed as:
fsevents tty.wchusbserial620

Now do the following in terminal: copy and paste this text BUT DON'T HIT ENTER YET:

avrdude -carduino -pm328p -P /dev/tty.wchusbserial620 -U flash:w:

YET: Now open the folder where you downloaded and unzipped the latest version of the software for the Sdrive Max and look fo the eeprom_writer.hex file.

Now drag that filename to the terminal command, after the w:

My final line looked like this:
avrdude -carduino -pm328p -P /dev/tty.wchusbserial620 -U flash:w:/Users/andrehuijts\ 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex

The response I got from the programming looked like this:

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f

avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude: erasing chip

avrdude: reading input file "/Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex"

avrdude: input file /Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex auto detected as Intel Hex

avrdude: writing flash (3484 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.74s

avrdude: 3484 bytes of flash written

avrdude: verifying flash memory against /Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex:

avrdude: load data flash data from input file /Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex:

avrdude: input file /Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex auto detected as Intel Hex

avrdude: input file /Users/andrehuijts 2/Downloads/SDrive-max-08b/eeprom_writer.hex contains 3484 bytes

avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.60s

avrdude: verifying ...

avrdude: 3484 bytes of flash verified

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H:00, E:00, L:00)

avrdude done. Thank you.

Next, repeat that process but now with the SDrive.hex file

You should get similar responses as above.

If you already had installed the LCD, you will see the menu screen already (I had to calibrate my screen first by tapping crosses in all curners of the display, right after that I got the menu).

Now.... on to the easy bit.. install the SIO cable and find a SD card.....somewhere....LOL

Edited by Level42