Jump to content
Farb

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Recommended Posts

Hello, I asked this a while ago but never got a good answer. I’m using the SdriveMax on an 800. I think I have the latest sdrive.atr file on it. My issue is, I can’t get the “find” functionality to work to locate a file. (I’ve read the docs) I hit ctrl-f, it displays “Find:” but nothing happens. Doesn’t find any files. Also the supposed shortcuts (shift-a, etc) don’t work either. Makes navigating a long list of files tedious. Anyone got any thoughts?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tsom said:

Hello, I asked this a while ago but never got a good answer. I’m using the SdriveMax on an 800. I think I have the latest sdrive.atr file on it. My issue is, I can’t get the “find” functionality to work to locate a file. (I’ve read the docs) I hit ctrl-f, it displays “Find:” but nothing happens. Doesn’t find any files. Also the supposed shortcuts (shift-a, etc) don’t work either. Makes navigating a long list of files tedious. Anyone got any thoughts?  Thanks.

For the find command to work, you need to hit Ctrl-F to display the Find prompt. At that point, you enter a portion of the beginning of the file name. It doesn’t look like Find works to search in the middle of a file name. 
 

I’m not familiar with the keyboard shortcuts you mention, but the shortcuts on this page work for me:

 

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/#Controlling_SDrive-Max_from_the_Atari

 

Bob C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, darwinmac said:

For the find command to work, you need to hit Ctrl-F to display the Find prompt. At that point, you enter a portion of the beginning of the file name. It doesn’t look like Find works to search in the middle of a file name. 
 

I’m not familiar with the keyboard shortcuts you mention, but the shortcuts on this page work for me:

 

https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/#Controlling_SDrive-Max_from_the_Atari

 

Bob C

Ummm... that’s exactly what I said I did.... hit Ctrl-F and type. Nothing happens. (Ok, I didn’t explicitly say I typed something to find, but figured it was implied...)

 

and the shortcuts I mentioned are in the original docs linked from that page - https://atari8bit.net/wp-content/uploads/SDrive_en.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you have a corrupted or damaged Sdrive.atr file on your SD card. Have you copied a clean version (freshly extracted from the ZIP or downloaded from Github) and replaced the one on your card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it seems no-one has any more info, I went digging through the Github repo for the SDriveMax firmware, especially the sdrive-ctrl code (https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/tree/v13/sdrive-ctrl)

 

I have a feeling it has to do with 800xl vs 800 (as there were similar issues with the SIO2SD device). I see in the code here: https://github.com/kbr-net/sdrive-max/blob/df7448b9571ac660e994da74c1f377213614e661/sdrive-ctrl/sdrive.xa#L1239 that it's looking for an XL specific keyboard table (https://www.atariarchives.org/mapping/appendix12.php - KEYDEF). So I'm guessing that's part of the issue. I guess I'll take a stab at the rest of the code (unfortunately, the comments are in Czech.. Google translate, here I come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good catch, people who have or use a real 800/400 are very rare, unpayable :)

I will keep it in mind, the input methods could have an update anyway, the OPTION key for scroll down is suboptimal in my opinion, but the atari side of programming is not my biggest goal...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kbr Thanks! I wanted an 800 since I was in high school (quite a while ago :) ) so jumped on the chance to get one (I actually end up with two!) I'd love to get my hands on an 800xl at some poing.

 

I will give it a try as soon as I can. I'm curious though, where did you find reference to how you're converting the keys on the 800?

 

atari800
   

lda $fefe,y

 

 

I can't find any reference to that location in the memory mapping book (Mapping the Atari, etc.)

 

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First i looked at the hardware sheet, and found no difference to the key wiring, so i thought, we can take the same mappings.

There is known, that on XL/XE the key table pointed on ($79)(121) is at $FB51. So i used the emulator for atari 800, and diged through the ROM, and found the same table at $FEFE, that's all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pliki V12c nie kompilują się poprawnie. Po ponownej kompilacji plik SDrive.hex ma 91 kB i nie można go załadować

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

V12c files do not compile properly. After recompilation, the SDrive.hex file is 91 KB and cannot be loaded

Why use V12c, this was a development branch only and is no more present. It may be, that in some stages the code was too big for some display variants...

Use the Master branch for a clean version, or if you are risky V13 :)

It could also depend on your compiler version, i use avr-gcc version 5.4.0.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kbr said:

Why use V12c, this was a development branch only and is no more present. It may be, that in some stages the code was too big for some display variants...

Use the Master branch for a clean version, or if you are risky V13 :)

It could also depend on your compiler version, i use avr-gcc version 5.4.0.

 

I compiled this version.  I am sure it was successful, both the compilation and the flashing of the arduino.  However, my SDrive-MAX still lists "v1.2" on the touch screen. 

 

Is there something I overlooked doing?

 

-SteveS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Master branch is equal to V1.2, right, the last stable version.

V13 is the actual unstable development branch, a daily snapshot, if you want.

Edited by kbr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kbr said:

The Master branch is equal to V1.2, right, the last stable version.

V13 is the actual unstable development branch, a daily snapshot, if you want.

Branch v13 is what I cloned but the display still indicates v1.2.

 

p.s.

Nevermind.

 

The fourth attempt was the charmer.  v1.3b now installed.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Thank you for this great project.  Will the below work.  I don't want a Arduino board or any touch screen stuff.  I just want the below SIMPLE board like below.

 

1) Get an ATMEGA328P, flash the eeprom_writer.hex and the SDrive.hex.

2) Wire the pins of the ATMEGA328P as indicated on the web site https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/ to the Atari SIO connector's pins.

3) Then wire the MISO/MOSI/SCK/SS pins of the ATMEGA328P to my SD CARD adapter.

4) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the buttons shown in the image.

5) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the LEDs shown in the image.

 

My questions are:

 

1) Is there a firmware version available that does not have the touch screen stuff in it with the buttons and LEDs handling?

 

2) Can my entire board, as described above, can run with 3.3V at 16Mhz for the ATMEGA328P? Basically, I take the +5V from the Atari's SIO connector and feed it to an LDO to have 3.3V to power the ATMEGA328P and the SD CARD.

 

3) I can simply copy the sdrive.atr file into the SDCard, and the Atari computer will load this diskette file, so that I can run a menu program on the Atari computer?

 

4) Is there a schematic already available for the simple SDMax board I described above?

 

Many thanks!

 

SimpleSMAX.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, unebonnevie said:

Hi,

 

Thank you for this great project.  Will the below work.  I don't want a Arduino board or any touch screen stuff.  I just want the below SIMPLE board like below.

 

1) Get an ATMEGA328P, flash the eeprom_writer.hex and the SDrive.hex.

2) Wire the pins of the ATMEGA328P as indicated on the web site https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/ to the Atari SIO connector's pins.

3) Then wire the MISO/MOSI/SCK/SS pins of the ATMEGA328P to my SD CARD adapter.

4) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the buttons shown in the image.

5) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the LEDs shown in the image.

 

My questions are:

 

1) Is there a firmware version available that does not have the touch screen stuff in it with the buttons and LEDs handling?

 

2) Can my entire board, as described above, can run with 3.3V at 16Mhz for the ATMEGA328P? Basically, I take the +5V from the Atari's SIO connector and feed it to an LDO to have 3.3V to power the ATMEGA328P and the SD CARD.

 

3) I can simply copy the sdrive.atr file into the SDCard, and the Atari computer will load this diskette file, so that I can run a menu program on the Atari computer?

 

4) Is there a schematic already available for the simple SDMax board I described above?

 

Many thanks!

 

SimpleSMAX.JPG

You want the original SDrive I think?

https://atari8bit.net/wp-content/uploads/SDrive20090403.zip

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a wish list, basically he wants the old unit's firmware updated to be like sdrive max minus all the code for hardware it doesn't have like screen and digitizer etc... and that way the new on screen menu etc could be used possibly with a sprinkling of a feature request.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Looks like a wish list, basically he wants the old unit's firmware updated to be like sdrive max minus all the code for hardware it doesn't have like screen and digitizer etc... and that way the new on screen menu etc could be used possibly with a sprinkling of a feature request.

Oh, best of luck then 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, unebonnevie said:

Hi,

 

Thank you for this great project.  Will the below work.  I don't want a Arduino board or any touch screen stuff.  I just want the below SIMPLE board like below.

 

1) Get an ATMEGA328P, flash the eeprom_writer.hex and the SDrive.hex.

2) Wire the pins of the ATMEGA328P as indicated on the web site https://atari8bit.net/everything-sdrive-max/ to the Atari SIO connector's pins.

3) Then wire the MISO/MOSI/SCK/SS pins of the ATMEGA328P to my SD CARD adapter.

4) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the buttons shown in the image.

5) Wire all the ATMEGA328P pins to the LEDs shown in the image.

 

My questions are:

 

1) Is there a firmware version available that does not have the touch screen stuff in it with the buttons and LEDs handling?

 

2) Can my entire board, as described above, can run with 3.3V at 16Mhz for the ATMEGA328P? Basically, I take the +5V from the Atari's SIO connector and feed it to an LDO to have 3.3V to power the ATMEGA328P and the SD CARD.

 

3) I can simply copy the sdrive.atr file into the SDCard, and the Atari computer will load this diskette file, so that I can run a menu program on the Atari computer?

 

4) Is there a schematic already available for the simple SDMax board I described above?

 

Many thanks!

 

SimpleSMAX.JPG

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something like this?

 

It looks like SDrive-ARM is still in development, maybe @alsp's firmware has ATX and turbo CAS support?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Looks like a wish list, basically he wants the old unit's firmware updated to be like sdrive max minus all the code for hardware it doesn't have like screen and digitizer etc... and that way the new on screen menu etc could be used possibly with a sprinkling of a feature request.

No.  I just wanted something simple to try first.  Thanks to mimo for the link to the zip file!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...