IGNORED

SDrive-MAX ATX support

Farb

I couldn't get Omnitrend Universe or Temple of Apshai, but AE, Hardhat Max & Mule did. Bluemax hasn't worked with any release. All my testing is on a stock (aside from the mod to get svideo out) 800XL NTSC box.

Universe isn't copy-protected so you are having some sort of other issue there. I got it to boot just fine but didn't do too much with the game. Keep in mind that ATX write support is not implemented right now so that may be a potential issue.

Temple of Apshai requires BASIC so make sure you don't hold down OPTION while booting. I also got that one to load just fine.

Blue Max requires OS-B so it won't run on an 800XL. Also tested and working here with OS-B firmware.

Dan, that message means exactly what it says. It is not that the disk copy protection is failing. I assume you were using some "patched OS-B" or some kind of firmware based translator, on an XL/XE machine. That won't work. If you want to test with OS-B you would need to use a real 800. Some of the oldest EA releases do require OS-B.

I don't have access to an actual 800 at the moment so have been using an EclaireXL in OS-B mode and a PAL 800XE with a custom OS-B mode for testing.

I swear when I was tweaking drive timings I had those titles running in the Eclaire's OS-B mode but it's possible it had reverted to XL mode and I didn't notice. At any rate, the disk protection checks are passing in XL mode so the SDrive seems to be behaving properly :D

I don't have access to an actual 800 at the moment so have been using an EclaireXL in OS-B mode ...

Oh, I didn't realize you were using an EclaireXL. If the protection complains about a custom OS with the oriignal OS-B rom, then that is probably because the Eclaire is not correctly behaving as a true 800 when accessing the C000 address range. Foft?

Oh, I didn't realize you were using an EclaireXL. If the protection complains about a custom OS with the oriignal OS-B rom, then that is probably because the Eclaire is not correctly behaving as a true 800 when accessing the C000 address range. Foft?

I assume so as well. I filed an issue with them for Atari 800 compatibility including correct memory size and behavior.

I didn't even check the image for Universe, I just had an ATX of it so I ran that one.. I'll try the ATR version and see what happens. The Temple I was running was the 3 part collection, and it would get to the point of character creation, but once you actually tried to go into the dungeon, it would hang (left if for about an hour with no change).

Universe isn't copy-protected so you are having some sort of other issue there. I got it to boot just fine but didn't do too much with the game. Keep in mind that ATX write support is not implemented right now so that may be a potential issue.

Temple of Apshai requires BASIC so make sure you don't hold down OPTION while booting. I also got that one to load just fine.

Blue Max requires OS-B so it won't run on an 800XL. Also tested and working here with OS-B firmware.

I compiled the code available as of about an hour ago, and zipped up the hex files for all 3 supported screens, if anybody who doesn't have the capability to compile wants to test. Just replace the hex files for the screen you're using and you should be good to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v18dqsst9peyfyt/sdrive-max-8b3-compiled.zip?dl=1

I've done some further compatibility testing with the current code in Github master. 86% compatibility!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AdzgPt2Z8SDk_Yy3FwAP8TRt8aackjzh_UVgOxOs4vM/edit?usp=sharing

THANK YOU!!!!!! I must have overlooked that!

OK, so I flashed the correct atmega328-hx8347g hex files using SDrive.bat. The screen does show successfully with the cross hair for callibration, but it does not sense touch. So I am currently stuck at the calibration screen and unable to go any farther at the moment.

I am using Windows10 and intially flashed with Xloader, but then ran the bat to overwrite Eeprom.

Hate to muddy up this thread, but looking for some support and/or direction.

Did you get any help with this? I'm in the same place, flashed to 0.8b stuck on screen calibration, doesn't respond to touch

Did you get any help with this? I'm in the same place, flashed to 0.8b stuck on screen calibration, doesn't respond to touch

No. I also sent email to ebay seller with issue.

They had me try running some things on it to see if it worked. Couldn't get any of them to run.

I ordered a ILI9341 compatible TFT that will be here tomorrow. Will test that. If it works, I'm going to request a refund or a replacement for the other TFT screen.

I'll update this post tomorrow.

The Temple I was running was the 3 part collection, and it would get to the point of character creation, but once you actually tried to go into the dungeon, it would hang (left if for about an hour with no change).

I just tried Temple of Apshai Trilogy in NTSC XL mode booting with the Option key. I created a character at random and entered level 1 of Temple of Apshai. It showed the dungeon very quickly and I was able to move around until I was quickly killed by a mosquito. Bit of a let down.

What specifically were you trying that was causing it to hang?

No. I also sent email to ebay seller with issue.

They had me try running some things on it to see if it worked. Couldn't get any of them to run.

I ordered a ILI9341 compatible TFT that will be here tomorrow. Will test that. If it works, I'm going to request a refund or a replacement for the other TFT screen.

I'll update this post tomorrow.

It looks like I got the same kit as you, let me know if your new screen works, I'll have to do the same :/

one side note if on problems with the TFT.

please ensure that the screen is using 8bit parallel communication to the arduino and NOT the SPI interface

My first screen did not work because of that, although it had the right controller chip

cheers

Michael

one side note if on problems with the TFT.

please ensure that the screen is using 8bit parallel communication to the arduino and NOT the SPI interface

My first screen did not work because of that, although it had the right controller chip

cheers

Michael

Might be a dumb question, but with these cheap Chinese TFT screens anything is possible. Is there a way to tell if it's using 8bit or not? No documentation came with the screen and of course there isn't much for support online either. Thanks

It looks like I got the same kit as you, let me know if your new screen works, I'll have to do the same :/

Estimated delivery is today by 8PM. Not holding my breath on the USPS delivery. Says currently in transit to destination...

Received replacement TFT screen and all is good. Next step is to solder the SIO cable and have a case printed for it.

On the left is the HX8347G that came with the UNO R3 as a kit ($17.31), on the right is the ILI9341 ($12.95).

I was unable to get the HX8347G TFT to work and there is not much support for it from seller or the link the seller provided. So I ordered a ILI9341 compatible TFT and it arrived today. It even came with a "USER MANUAI" :P and a stylus.

Within minutes of opening the package, slapping the TFT on the UNO board and updating eeprom, I've got a working SDrive-MAX.

post-61269-0-71186500-1532551412_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

So those 'imperfect' cases I mentioned earlier. This roll of grey PLA has annoyed me with it's inconsistency - but rather than chuck the roll I figured why not print some more cases with it...

This is what I've got so far, a few are already spoken for. Shipping in a bubbleope to US addresses should be about $3.50

302fQm.jpg

• Like 5

So those 'imperfect' cases I mentioned earlier. This roll of grey PLA has annoyed me with it's inconsistency - but rather than chuck the roll I figured why not print some more cases with it...

This is what I've got so far, a few are already spoken for. Shipping in a bubbleope to US addresses should be about $3.50

Wow, hate to hear about the inconsistency with the gray because from here, the color looks fantastic. I have a couple spares from my friend already (in white, like my first one) but if I make any more of these besides the two empty cases I've got, I may ask him to experiment with gray and see how it goes with his printer.

Wow, hate to hear about the inconsistency with the gray because from here, the color looks fantastic. I have a couple spares from my friend already (in white, like my first one) but if I make any more of these besides the two empty cases I've got, I may ask him to experiment with gray and see how it goes with his printer.

I'm sure it's just this roll, it's just extrusion wise not quite up to my standards for perfect (or at least as close as I can get ;)) I'm thinking a good lot of people wouldn't even notice honestly.

• Like 1

Received replacement TFT screen and all is good. Next step is to solder the SIO cable and have a case printed for it.

On the left is the HX8347G that came with the UNO R3 as a kit ($17.31), on the right is the ILI9341 ($12.95).

I was unable to get the HX8347G TFT to work and there is not much support for it from seller or the link the seller provided. So I ordered a ILI9341 compatible TFT and it arrived today. It even came with a "USER MANUAI" :P and a stylus.

Within minutes of opening the package, slapping the TFT on the UNO board and updating eeprom, I've got a working SDrive-MAX.

attachicon.gif07251816361.jpg

I contacted the seller who just told me he would send me another screen, what support link did he give you?

Curious question: Is there any reason why I should not use the following locations with red arrows for the SIO instead of the headers on either side? Seems to me that it would be slightly cleaner to solder the RX, TX, +5V and Gnd locations near the A5 on the PCB instead of stretched out across the other duplicate locations.

post-61269-0-72362900-1532637018_thumb.jpg

Curious question: Is there any reason why I should not use the following locations with red arrows for the SIO instead of the headers on either side? Seems to me that it would be slightly cleaner to solder the RX, TX, +5V and Gnd locations near the A5 on the PCB instead of stretched out across the other duplicate locations.

I don't have the exact same board, but that's where I tapped most of my connections. Just test them first to make sure they actually go where they are supposed to!