IGNORED

Atari 80 column software/hardware

hueyjones70

Like this?

Fantastic! Makes perfect sense to me now looking at it in the Altirra executable viewer:

00000000: $FFFF
00000002: Load $0041-0041 ; 65
00000006 / $0041: 00
00000007: Load $0052-0052 ; 82
0000000B / $0052: 00
0000000C: Load $02C5-02C6 ; 709-710
00000010 / $02C5: 0C 02   ; 12 2
00000012: Load $02C8-02C8 ; 712
00000016 / $02C8: 00
00000017: Load $02D9-02DB ; 729-731
0000001B / $02D9: 0F 01 01 ; 15 1 1
0000001E: Load $02F0-02F0 ; 752
00000022 / $02F0: 00

Still learning fundamentals of programming at this low level, one more item crossed off of my Atari bucket list. Thanks for the lesson.

Edited by Nezgar

Really, the fundamentals are easy. Anyone who can PEEK and POKE in BASIC can code something in assembly. Just a matter of knowing the syntax of your assembler and a bit of reading about opcodes but this in no different with BASIC where you also walk the way from A to B to C to D to reach your goal. The difference is that the way in assembler doesn't stop at D but at Z in stead. And beyond for some. (and waaaay beyond for a few)

It's gets tricky once you're going into VBI's, DLI's and "beam racing". You need to develop quite some know-how about O.S. vectors, hardware registers, etc...

• Like 2

That was an advanced concept for microcomputers back then, a real OS with device handlers that could be replaced or added to. Hat's off to Atari!

All in 10kB too. I mention this every place I work. Nobody these days seems to get it. .NET is cool, but we're talking MBs fora minimum "hello world". This OS, handcrafted in 6502 by the same guys who went on to found Activision mind you, that still impresses me.

• Like 6

• 9 months later...

Just checking in to say that the ATR Farb posted earlier in this thread also works fine with OmniView XE OS, and tf_hh's 512K memory board after running M256.COM to return bit 5 to ANTIC bank selection. (PORTB bits 2,3,6,7 for bank selection, instead of the default 2,3,5,6,7). This is in an 800XL, which with most 'old-school' RAM upgrades would not be capable of ANTIC bank switching. :)

As JR> previously noted, I also do not get a directory index, but it will save or load a file if I know the name...

• 4 weeks later...

What is a Googled Omniview XE ROM?

Can anyone REALLY be this stupid? Yeah, Hank Johnson (Guam), Elijah Cummings, MadMax... This is off the charts.

I know how bad those dummys are, but Huey, REALLY!

You don't know what a 'Googled' Omniview is? Do you know what Google is? How about DuckDuckGo? Swisscows, etc. ??? REALLY?

Wow.

Thank you Kyle22 for reminding me that not everyone on this forum actually is interested in being helpful and sharing information. I do know what google is and I did google Omniview XE ROM and although I was provided with much information, none of it pointed me to a way to achieve what I wanted to achieve. It is much the same as is someone said "I need to know how to prepare a Thanksgiving dinner" and you replied "google turkey".

Hello guys

This might be country dependent, but when I google "turkey" (all lower case), the first thing I see is a Wikipedia-article about the country, not the bird......... icon_biggrinwink.gif

Sincerely

Mathy

Google attempts to show you the most relevant results, and apparently Google thinks you are more interested in the country and not the bird. :-)

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong with the Atariwriter+80. I have downloaded the zipped file, extracted the ATR, saved it to a micro card for the Sdrive, when I attempt to load the file the computer makes two of the clicking noises that indicate loading a disk then nothing. I have downloaded several other programs using the same process and on the same card that work flawlessly. I have tried on a 130XE and an 800XL with the same results. Any suggestions, is there another source besides the one in this forum (post#37). I know that others say they have successfully run the program on real hardware and Both of my computers will run the program from an actual disk drive but the ATR is giving me no joy.

Edited by hueyjones70

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, ClausB said:

That was an advanced concept for microcomputers back then, a real OS with device handlers that could be replaced or added to. Hat's off to Atari!

Not really, device IDs and handlers were in Microsoft BASIC from the start.
You can replace the default drivers by intercepting one or more of the 14 or so extension hooks BASIC calls, which includes console in, and console out.

14 minutes ago, JamesD said:

Not really, device IDs and handlers were in Microsoft BASIC from the start.
You can replace the default drivers by intercepting one or more of the 14 or so extension hooks BASIC calls, which includes console in, and console out.

Microsoft BASIC is not an OS.

The unique thing about the Atari OS was that in 1979 the system itself, independent of whatever language or overlaying software was running on that OS, had access to system-wide, standardized calls for screen handling, graphics, sound, and I/O. You didn’t have to use BASIC or any language at all, nor were you limited to merely a console text input. The OS had handlers for the text editor, screen devices, printer devices and cassettes already baked in. Handlers for disk and serial I/O weren’t in-built but could be loaded as needed but crucially, interfacing with those devices was handled essentially the very same way as calls to any other system device in the OS.

That’s a much bigger, broader and far-reaching system architecture design than whatever Bill wrote into MS BASIC.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Microsoft BASIC is not an OS.

The unique thing about the Atari OS was that in 1979 the system itself, independent of whatever language or overlaying software was running on that OS, had access to system-wide, standardized calls for screen handling, graphics, sound, and I/O. You didn’t have to use BASIC or any language at all, nor were you limited to merely a console text input. The OS had handlers for the text editor, screen devices, printer devices and cassettes already baked in. Handlers for disk and serial I/O weren’t in-built but could be loaded as needed but crucially, interfacing with those devices was handled essentially the very same way as calls to any other system device in the OS.

That’s a much bigger, broader and far-reaching system architecture design than whatever Bill wrote into MS BASIC.

It's a combination of BASIC and I/O functions.   
Not everything used the built in I/O calls, but any program that used the documented ROM calls for I/O would make use of any custom drivers. 
Was it as complete as on the Atari?  No, largely because the DOS was separate, but then the first personal computers released didn't even have disk drives yet.  Atari benefited from being released later.  
CP/M, and FLEX had their own driver system as well.  CP/M was released in 1974, FLEX in 1976.
Did they work like Atari?  No, but trying to say Atari was some super advanced micro vs everything else before it is an exaggeration.

41 minutes ago, JamesD said:

Hyperbole 
noun Rhetoric.

obvious and intentional exaggeration.
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

"Bumping a 12-1/2 month old topic to raise tangential, generally irrelevant points about an unrelated piece of software."

Let's see, how did I do? 

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man."

Source: Wikipedia

Yeah, not too bad. Good to see my high school debate skills aren't too rusty yet. :) 

• Like 1

Huge difference between hyperbole and a straw man argument
Here is what I replied to:

On 6/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, ClausB said:

Note that in the same post you claim is a straw man, I actually refute his original claim, not some made up position that was not his to begin with.
Hence, it is not a straw man argument.  Go back to your high school debate teacher and ask them.