IGNORED

A TI'er in need

9640News

I think he should be more than happy with that. I will set him up with MAME with what I have on my system. I will need to determine how Windows 10 handles a dial-up internet connection to make sure no other software is needed. I'll also give him my USB modem.

Beery

I am pretty certain Windows 10 dial-up is one of the things which actually works properly :) The interface has changed but it still works as expected.

Glad to hear a confirmation. As luck would have it, AT&T's internet connection at my home went down last night. Service tech is due out today and I had to have my wife deal with the guy while I am at work. Fingers crossed it is working when I get home. Otherwise, she will be an unhappy camper while I am gone Wednesday through Sunday down below Atlanta.

I've got a feeling some new cable will need to be buried. Whether that is up to the house, or coming down the road. Maybe that will resolve some intermittent outages I have experienced since December.

Beery

Glad to hear a confirmation. As luck would have it, AT&T's internet connection at my home went down last night. Service tech is due out today and I had to have my wife deal with the guy while I am at work. Fingers crossed it is working when I get home. Otherwise, she will be an unhappy camper while I am gone Wednesday through Sunday down below Atlanta.

I've got a feeling some new cable will need to be buried. Whether that is up to the house, or coming down the road. Maybe that will resolve some intermittent outages I have experienced since December.

Beery

Where below Atlanta? If I may ask?

Where below Atlanta? If I may ask?

428 Neil Hodges Road in Andersonville, GA.

There is a large Fly-In down there. If you are in the area, feel free to come and check it out. Kids and family should enjoy watching, so bring a lawn chair.

Flying typically occurs first 2 hours of the morning, and last 2 of the evening. Barring any problems, that will be when I am in the air. The rest of the day will be chatting with other people. If you do come out, I have a silver Silverado, and a red 5x8 enclosed trailer with TXWingNuts on one side. At least half the people should know me and can point you towards where I would be. My phone is 713-204-7752.

Beery

• Like 1

I am leaving the Louisville, KY area late Wednesday (tomorrow) and driving throughout the night. I'll be arriving sometime before noon Thursday and will be setting everything up (tent, paramotor, etc). Flying is anytime Thursday through Sunday, but predominantly the first 2 hours of the morning and last 2 of the evening. Details of the event are at https://www.badappleshodgesfieldflyin.com/ .

Winds need to generally be under 10 mph. Anything over 12 mph, and most pilots, myself included, will stay grounded for safety reasons. No rain until Sunday in the forecast. Myself, I will begin packing up Sunday morning for the 600 mile drive back home.

Anytime outside of the flying window I described, people are generally doing any maintenance, chilling out, eating, napping, or riding minibikes or other carts around.

Pretty laid back.

Beery

• Like 1

It looks interesting and if it is welcoming to the public I would not mind trying to make it. Maybe some of the 99ers close by could make it. Beery, you say you are driving -- if I attend will you be able to bring back the computer I have for you?

Yes, I have plenty of space to bring it back. No issues with the public checking things out to learn about the sport.

Last night, I picked up a large box of food that was available that I will be taking to our TI'er in need. Most of what I have access to now is carrots, potatoes, onions by the 1000+ lb quantities that have to move before they go bad. I will get John enough fresh veggies to hold him when I go over at the end of the month. As he doesn't have refrigeration capacity, fresh stuff will be somewhat limited.

Right now, I have 2 x 1 gallon cans of refried beans. John chuckled at that one when I told him about it. I've also got about a 30 lb box that contains beanie weanies, nuts, and some other food prepackaged in 28 meals. This just happened to be what needed to move this week. Over the next few weeks, I should be getting more canned goods as I stockpile the items.

Beery

• Like 3

Yes, I have plenty of space to bring it back. No issues with the public checking things out to learn about the sport.

Last night, I picked up a large box of food that was available that I will be taking to our TI'er in need. Most of what I have access to now is carrots, potatoes, onions by the 1000+ lb quantities that have to move before they go bad. I will get John enough fresh veggies to hold him when I go over at the end of the month. As he doesn't have refrigeration capacity, fresh stuff will be somewhat limited.

Right now, I have 2 x 1 gallon cans of refried beans. John chuckled at that one when I told him about it. I've also got about a 30 lb box that contains beanie weanies, nuts, and some other food prepackaged in 28 meals. This just happened to be what needed to move this week. Over the next few weeks, I should be getting more canned goods as I stockpile the items.

Beery

When I was in the military and we were Afghanistan I would have shot someone for a can of beanie weanies! We just got the dried up military, prepackaged combat rations to carry in our packs. some were worse than others, the worst one I think I had was supposed to be a pork patty. I swore I picked up a handful of sand and threw it in my mouth.

When I was in the military and we were Afghanistan I would have shot someone for a can of beanie weanies! We just got the dried up military, prepackaged combat rations to carry in our packs. some were worse than others, the worst one I think I had was supposed to be a pork patty. I swore I picked up a handful of sand and threw it in my mouth.

I hear the cheese omelettes went over quite well, as well.

I really liked the freeze-dried pork patties. . .they made a nice crunchy snack if you ate them right out of the pouch, and you could always put a little bit of tabasco on them to add spicy flavor, although I usually ate mine plain. I was not happy when they removed those (and the freeze-dried fruit) from the menu. . .

• Like 1

As of now I am planning to be there tomorrow. Will drive up in the morning and hang out for the day. If that is your cell number earlier in the thread I will call tomorrow to locate you. Otherwise, PM me with a way to get holt of ya.

Also, what are considered "morning hours" for you grown folks?

Thanks everyone for the items sent thus far. I got Alan's Windows 10 system in hand along with a UPS, Greg's monitor, and Tim's envelope.

I'll be setting up MAME for John on the Windows 10 computer and getting it loaded with a bunch of goodies for him.

Thanks again people.

Beery

• 3 weeks later...

Just a FYI for everyone following this thread.

My intention barring any unforeseen problems, will be to head over to John's place this coming Saturday. I spoke with John this afternoon, and it turns out his Windows 98 computer has apparently died as a few days ago. Not sure if it was a power supply or motherboard/hardware issue at this point in time. So, not sure how much, if anything, I will be able to recover from his old hard drive. Likely, nothing at this point in time.

The Windows 10 system that was donated along with a Geneve monitor, UPS and the cash that was contributed will go a long way to helping John out. I've got some food, and other computer incidentals to be adding to the setup as well to make sure the transition goes as smoothly as possible. I've already loaded the system up with both MAME and MESS and all the Geneve and TI files I have on my BBS system to get him pointed in the right direction.

Anyways, if anyone wants to contribute anything to further help John out, I have a PayPal account at Beery_Asst at msn dot com if you want to send something monetarily and I will make sure John gets it. Just do something before Friday as it is my intent to be at his place Saturday and I am not sure when I would be able to get back over there again in the near term.

I do want to thank those that have contributed. John mentioned the "shakes" ended yesterday from the frustration as his computer was one of his last lines of access to the outside world. He would turn his computer on in the morning to get his emails, and then would check back hourly. Without that, I think he was pretty depressed with the situation. The computer contributions I know will mean a lot to him more than some people can imagine.

Take care, and thank you everyone.

Beery

• Like 3

I'll check it out if I have time tonight. I've also got my old monitor I just pulled off my Geneve as a backup option as well.

John is apparently REALLY REALLY pressed for space and was questioning that if the PC I was bringing would be too big.

I think this is going to be an interesting visit.

It will be good to see John.

Beery

Beery,

The scart-genie and cables would go a long way for that monitor to be more usable on that geneve.

Greg

Greg,

Did not realize the monitor had an SCART connector. Just checked it, and placed an order with Chris to replace my unit and got John a cable as well.

Thanks for the head's up on that!

Beery

• Like 1

John went dark, presumably after we had another round of bad storms in the area this past week. He's not answering phone, so I do not know if it is just his phone that is down, or phone and power. I tried calling him the past 3 days without success, so without a hard confirmation on time, I am holding off until I reach him.

​If he gets phone restored today or Sunday, I have Monday off I can head over. Otherwise, it will be to wait another week.

What I do not want to do is drive 180 miles one way to an address hoping he is there and discovering he is not home, etc. If his power and phone are both down, it would make setup of the two systems a bit difficult.

Later,

Beery

• Like 1