IGNORED

A TI'er in need

9640News

Those following this thread, I was finally able to catch up with John on the phone Sunday evening and went over to his place today and had a very enjoyable 3 hour visit. John is about 200 miles from my place with a few back roads taking about 3.5 hours to reach his place.

John lives at the end of a cul-de-sac that drops down slowly over a hill. The location was not as bad I had feared, but his place is surrounded by trees really restricting reception limiting reception.

When I arrived, I found out the previous afternoon John's 80+ year old neighbor had dropped over dead while mowing grass that was the story for the day. John lives in a single wide mobile home and has a step son living on the next lot over. It's close enough for John to walk over to his place with the cane he uses. John is still mobile enough at 70 he can use his self propelled mower to mow his own lawn. It's a small lawn, but takes John a couple of afternoons to mow with his mobility issues.

When I arrived, I went around back to John's home and announced I had arrived and John stepped outside. We sat on his back deck for about 3 hours. I brought his Windows 10 system that had been donated with a UPS, and kicked in a USB modem/mouse/keyboard along with a USB modem. The computer had been updated this past week with the latest updates for Windows 10 along with having both M.E.S.S. and MAME on the computer. I built a shortcut that launched his emulation to match my system here at the house. His SCART monitor that was contributed, I kicked in the cables to use SHIFT838's board and cables so he would be ready to go. I also brought over some food to help him out.

Finally, and this is for Tim, I gave him the envelope you provided. John told me to tell you "He was going to make an offering!" He was hoping you would remember the last time he made that statement.

I was not able to assist John in the setup in his home of the equipment. John will be setting things up as he can get things moved around. He REALLY REALLY has to move "stuff" around to make space available so he can use it. Let's just stay he has "stuff" stacked with no place to move stuff around. It will take time, and it is a priority.

Right now, John's old computer is only useable when it is cool. The fan is apparently out so it apparently overheating and shutting down. He will be getting the new system setup, it will just take some time.

John really appreciated everything. He just did not think he deserved the help. I passed on to him there were a number of TI'ers out there that John had made an impression over the years and we were just paying things forward ourselves. He wanted me to thank everyone.

Even though John is 70, his mind is sharp as a tack. His body has just had a rough road.

Beery

• Like 7

Hi Beery,

Glad to hear you came through! I 'know it just aint easy'... but we are all rewarded by such magnanimous feats.

I am personally moved by this topic. Not so long ago, by my measure, I found myself on the TI'er charity wagon, having had recently been displaced from my former life.

The system I am using right now, including a 2 x DSDD drive Corcomp controller, was given to me by

Jim Krych. Whom sent me a big box cross country.

Jim and myself being acquainted by Harry Hoffman, God...rest his soul...

Alex.

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
  • Like 3

We all have been blessed in many ways. I told John things I wasn't bragging, but I have been blessed of late and I am paying forward opportunities that were provided to me.

If it had not been for another TI'er that had passed away and his daughter offering his equipment, I would not have the Geneve nor TI systems I have now. I was blessed when I got both a Geneve and TI with Myarc HFDC's. If that had not happened, I would have likely stayed with MESS/MAME and nothing more.

Until I moved to Kentucky, I did not have the time or really the space to setup an appropriate office. Now, I have a decent office with built in book shelves that hold all my materials and three desks to hold a TI and Geneve system on one, my main PC running the BBS on another, and the third desk has another Windows PC and a Raspberry PI. The PI was just hooked back up last night, but I will need to get another keyboard and mouse for it since I gave John the one I had on it for his use.

John is one of those kind souls with what I suspect was a very high IQ with a thirst for knowledge, but lacking the $college$ opportunity to fully realize his full potential. I am glad a number of us were able to come to John's assistance.

Beery

• Like 3

' but lacking the $college$ opportunity to fully realize his full potential. '

I resemble that remark. :(

Unfortunately, it happens.

Just this past Friday evening, I had a bunch of coworkers over for a cookout with one a former teacher we hired bringing her back into the chemical industry. The county where I work is one of the poorest relative to poverty in the state of Kentucky and continues to decline. Those that make decent money, live elsewhere as do I. The school system struggles with 68% of the high school students do not live with a parent. The area is recognized as the county to move to, because they give away all kinds of free stuff.

The husband of one of my coworkers is on the business development council for the county. The county keeps trying to attract businesses for growth, but only put on "free events". So, the folks that are a bit more successful have no desire to attend these events and mix with the others that have a high incidence of addiction and other issues. Addiction issues is a big problem here. To put it into perspective for others, this county has about 10,000 residents with lots of housing to accommodate those with very little.

I am sure in that 68% group there are some that have potential for great things, however, due to their socioeconomic situation and limitations will never reach their potential.

Beery

I talked to Kyle about a year ago. He's still selling stuff on eBay, but mostly for other systems.

Good... I was a bit worried about him; his health wasn't doing well, and other stuff he described made it sound like he wasn't in a good situation then.

• 2 years later...

Just a short update.  I spoke with John today for not much more than about 3 or 4 minutes as he seemed distracted or something.....

Anyways, he is still hanging on and he did get the Windows 10 system up and running that was provided.  Sounded like he never got the Geneve up and running.  If I had my guess, conditions may not allow it to be resurrected, but that is only a guess.

Anyways, he sounded like he didn't want to talk but he is still kicking.

Beery

• Like 1