IGNORED

Air Man - Mega Man 2 (Atari POKEY Cover)

Dippy

I think you mis understand how or what eMkay says, he is trying to show how to make it a little better. I am sure it's not a negative, but rather a help. Many people take the wording of a thing over the substance of a thing. I have had the most help from critical review and often blunt even obtuse discussions. There are far too many skilled pens and elocution extraordinaires in the world, it all sound good... even great and we swallow it whole, the silver tongued people gain popularity while leaving all else to languish, and indeed this practice becomes a detriment over time to all who ascribe validity to it.

I've butted heads with eMkay a time or two, but it's not because he's negative as we all can be. Like all others he can be correct or incorrect. Too many people object to what he has to say because they don't like a direct, terse response. I am sure if he just posted a fix, and used flowery words, all would be so supportive and happy. But his point is to help another improve their work... just doing it and heaping praise will not accomplish that.

Often when a person of persuasion fails to win an argument they will attack spelling and punctuation. Since there is nothing else to pick on, it deflects from the truth of a statement. Just another observation, as I read the threads.

Many people of many languages and styles here. Please don't discount them or their contributions. Please don't expect a perfect or flowery response. Please take the substance of it over the form in which it is presented. I know it's long winded but after working with people around the world, it's a hard to explain the phenomena. Hearing harsh words against many people from places where word order as well as strong vs submissive forms are within the language structure. They are not attacking or negative at all, but the force of the words may translate that way. Forgetting this from time to time has not helped any of us.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Some people also read too much in to what is said and ignore the smileys proving it was a cheeky comment and not a stern observation and I'm sure Emkay realised that.

Smileys may be cheap and basically a nonsense to the language systems we have but they also quickly allow for instant pointers..

Someone is smarting from another conversation in here :) <---------------

It's just about the volume that is too "much" . There really should be a patch that controls the overall volume while editing a tune.

So the RMT was aimed at Dippy, for future projects.

I think what you and the Doc missed was the humour here, you know I have a joke with you re how you often respond to peoples tunes, we have had this 'joke' many times, I didn't miss understand a thing, it was simply a bit of fun at the style of your posts. As for the rmt thing, again a smiley used and yes I know it was meant for dippy, it was a quoted reply but it would have been fun for others to hear the change without going through disks to find a tracker player that is up to date or whatever..

To quote the Joker, "Why so serious"....

How well does Altirra emulate the "over 32 volume" distortion? And are we positive it's 32 and not 28 (7+7+7+7)? Or even 36?

Also, would it be possible to update the POKEY DLL file RMT uses to hear the volume distortion within RMT?

If you keep the rule "using 4 channels , keep 8 as max. volume for the start of an instrument" , it will work fine. And, as envelopes keep volume up and down, it is also possible to have "pulses" for basses.

Things get even more interesting, if you use filter voices and have it too loud. Instead of heavy distortions, the contrary will happen. POKEY turns into a "muted & muffled" sounding mode. It actually can play clean triangle waves then.

It could be interesting to know, if it's intentionally done, or not.

Aha, appreciated...Yes it sounds more clean and not overly high....Definitely a plus on a very nice tune..

And, it is played with "distortion by the Non Linear Mixing" of Altirra.... not much distortion in it, isn't it?

Btw. I learned, not to react on strange jokes, if meant funny or not.

You know, the winds were sometimes strange on Atariage ;)

Also, would it be possible to update the POKEY DLL file RMT uses to hear the volume distortion within RMT?

I tried this and it sounded terrible because RMT requires POKEY emulation to send audio data in 8-bit resolution. As it turns out, 8-bit samples are not enough even with dithering. But I've figured out how to circumvent this limitation - bypass RMT and send audio directly to the sound device. So, if you are willing to try, my experimental, written today and not fully tested implementation is in the attachment. It's mono only, writes to the second POKEY are simply ignored. Nonlinear table has been stolen form Altirra.

apokeysnd.zip

Edited by antrykot
  • Like 2

I tried this and it sounded terrible because RMT requires POKEY emulation to send audio data in 8-bit resolution. As it turns out, 8-bit samples are not enough even with dithering. But I've figured out how to circumvent this limitation - bypass RMT and send audio directly to the sound device. So, if you are willing to try, my experimental, written today and not fully tested implementation is in the attachment. It's mono only, writes to the second POKEY are simply ignored. Nonlinear table has been stolen form Altirra.

RMT won't start, using the changed version.

whaaaaaaaat... so this sends the non-linear mixed audio (like Altirra plays by default) directly to my computer's primary sound device when playing back sound in RMT? :D