IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Their Twitter account (or was it their Facebook account?) "leaked" that Wal-Mart will have the riser for $39.99 on release day? Or was it $34.99? I don't remember specifically. Either way, that's a bit more in line with what it should be in my opinion. I still think it's butt ugly in comparison/contrast to the beautiful cabinets, but something I may possibly consider for my Asteroids cabinet if I don't like it on a table or can't find a suitable adjustable stool.

In terms of the flat control panel, I think that at least for the joystick-less Asteroids cabinet, that's probably acceptable.

I thought I would like the stools better than the riser, but after seeing the pic with the 6' 1" guy sitting on it in front of the cab, now I just don't know. That, and I need the 411 on the stools maximum weight capacity...

I thought I would like the stools better than the riser, but after seeing the pic with the 6' 1" guy sitting on it in front of the cab, now I just don't know. That, and I need the 411 on the stools maximum weight capacity...

I would have no problem with getting their stool instead, but since it's only one height, I'm afraid either me or my children will not be at a good height. That's why I'd rather get my own stool that's actually adjustable. Maybe something like what's used for playing an instrument or whatever if I can't find an appropriate standard stool.

• Like 1

I think the fact that they are marketing these in stores like Walmart they stand a good chance of making some money, even adding in Gamestop and FYE. Throw in Target, Costco and Sams club, they could make some serious coin.

Now, I know "beyond" is in their name but seriously, B B & B? Yeah, not sure what the logic is there. I know they sell some weird stuff, but I didn't know this type of item was their bag.

I, like many of us, have been burned before on hot, new products, but I'm hoping these cabs aren't going to be the case.

Gamestop is featuring these on their website, I posted a screenshot earlier today. I wonder if they will show them in-store, because so many of those places are physically very small.

If Costco sells these I'm going to be tempted, if for no other reason than their return policy is super generous.

You still have FYE? Ours are :skull:. Best Buy is still looking strong, at least from the "customer walking by" perspective.

Bed Bath Beyond have always carried video games, they were a major source for Atari, Intellivision, ColecoVision flashbacks and the Sega Genesis remakes. Last time I visited a BBB store, they had a whole aisle dedicated to smart home stuff like Amazon Echo and Google Wifi. Selling these things is totally in their wheelhouse ... and there's a lot of space in those stores for bulky things like this.

It looks from the promotional pics that the riser brings the controls up to just the right height, so that's good. The riser would look much less klugey if it were the same color as the cabinet, but I guess that would make it difficult to standardize the riser because all the cabinets look different.

If I had more than one of these things, I think I'd just build a single "step" platform out of 2x4s and plywood, and line them up side-by-side.

I bet you could find an adjustable stool. Maybe something like this one?

Pneumatic lift range: 18.5" to 24" - 18.5" is the perfect seat / stool height for cocktail arcade games.

Non-marring casters

300 lb. weight capacity

360 degree swivel seat

Thick, comfortable vinyl cushion

Jamma Stool / Seat = Seat Size is 12.5" diameter by 2" thick.

It looks from the promotional pics that the riser brings the controls up to just the right height, so that's good. The riser would look much less klugey if it were the same color as the cabinet, but I guess that would make it difficult to standardize the riser because all the cabinets look different.

If I had more than one of these things, I think I'd just build a single "step" platform out of 2x4s and plywood, and line them up side-by-side.

Yeah, for the cost of the riser, I'll buy the materials myself and make one for each cab I've ordered. (3)

If the trackball in the Centipede cab is good, and not one of those shitty drifts off to diagonal when spun deals, I might be tempted to buy one, build a less lame looking riser, drill a hole for my x-arcade stick, and toss a used laptop or raspberry pi in there and make it a real cab.

that's an awful lot of work, why not just build your own cabinet thats not 4 feet high, and get the decals, etc to make it 'more real'.

something sturdier and would probably last longer than this.

---

it sounds like you want to supplement whats currently on it with your own add ons, but you would probably need some kind of video switcher for the monitor.

also the cabling could be tricky trying to move the trackball out of the way for a joystick,.

--

x-arcade has a joystick trackball combination, and a standalone joystick, but i have issues with that company, and have boycotted them forever,

and would never recommend them to anyone. (worst customer service ever, if you have a problem).

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

This is definitely one of my major concerns with this thing.

Well, they are meant for home use. If they were being sold as commercial devices to generate revenue on location, I'd agree. Over the years there have already been home cabinets of multicades and Golden Tee, these look about the same build wise.

Edited by keepdreamin

LCD display always makes me think of one thing. LAG. I hope someone does some thorough testing.

It's a tempting package if you get it for a discounted price. I'm a bit worried about the height. I'm 6' tall, and judging by the pictures posted above, I'm not sure it would be comfortable to sit at this machine using a stool, and of course I can't stand there hunched over. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I would definitely consider putting some small bed risers under this thing to make sitting on a chair while playing a bit more comfortable.