IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Huh - from a control perspective, what an odd collection of games to combine into a single cab.

Where's the spinner?

It's there. This is actually exactly what I want. If this becomes available, I'll cancel my regular Asteroids pre-order and go for this one. Even at $200 more, it's worth it to me. These are the kinds of games that are harder to enjoy without these types of controls.

• Like 3

Sold out before we even knew it was a thing, here: Arcade 1Up Arcade Machine - Deluxe Edition 12 Atari Games with Riser ($499).

It has both Centipede and Asteroids art.

From the pictures:

Asteroids, Centipede, Major Havoc, Missile Command, Lunar Lander, Crystal Castles, Tempest, Millipede, Gravitar, Liberator, Asteroids Deluxe, Super Breakout*.

*One picture shows Breakout instead of Super Breakout

attachicon.gif9649533.01.big1.jpg

Dude, how'd you even find that? Frys isn't even listed on the Arcade1Up site.

Maybe it's not actually sold out - maybe it's just not available to order as of yet. Could also be a glitch like Walmart had.

It's there. This is actually exactly what I want. If this becomes available, I'll cancel my regular Asteroids pre-order and go for this one. Even at $200 more, it's worth it to me. These are the kinds of games that are harder to enjoy without these types of controls.

"Best Buy will also have one", per their Twitter feed. Beats me if they mean the same exact one or a different compilation, but they write just below that tweet that the deluxe model was made for a specific distributor.

Dude, how'd you even find that? Frys isn't even listed on the Arcade1Up site.

I saw the above tweet which was in response to someone lamenting it was sold out at Frys. That they made this edition for a distributor rather than retailer is an interesting twist, I'd say.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I was fair with "knock-off", which implies reverse-engineering. I guess they could've gotten actual specs and went with those.

Here's a tweet from today:

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It just seems overkill to me to create your own buttons when you can just bulk order HAPP buttons, it's not like they are expensive. Also, they claim these are "to spec", but what spec exactly? There are different styles of buttons out there. It just seems weird and/or shady to me.

What I think really would have sold these was a Pac-Man/Ms Pac model. Such an obvious choice.

You act like getting these licenses is easy. I can tell you from my experience on the AtGames side that it can be a maddening process. Anyway, Arcade1Up implied they're already working on some type of Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man license. We'll see if they get it.

• Like 2

The only problem I see with that 12 game Atari cab is the monitor is vertical for Centipede and Millipede, yet the dedicated Asteroids cab the monitor is horizontal (unless I'm not viewing the images correctly).

So wouldn't that be a problem?

The only problem I see with that 12 game Atari cab is the monitor is vertical for Centipede and Millipede, yet the dedicated Asteroids cab the monitor is horizontal (unless I'm not viewing the images correctly).

Fantastic point and something I didn't notice until you pointed it out. In theory, it's not a huge problem, but it would result in a smaller image to fit. It's clearly optimized for vertical, rather than horizontal, games. I'm not sure I'd like that with an already small display.

Seems like I might keep my original Asteroids pre-order after all, although it's frustrating that there's no ball and paddle game on that one.

You act like getting these licenses is easy. I can tell you from my experience on the AtGames side that it can be a maddening process. Anyway, Arcade1Up implied they're already working on some type of Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man license. We'll see if they get it.

I never said that. But its just such an obvious choice. Also - its not like Namco is above licensing out their titles like say - Nintendo or anything. Personally I would LOVE a genuine Donkey Kong/Jr/DK3 cab, but I realize the bigN doesnt budge on their titles at all. Namco at least seems a little more willing to work if they think a profit is that for the taking.

Fantastic point and something I didn't notice until you pointed it out. In theory, it's not a huge problem, but it would result in a smaller image to fit. It's clearly optimized for vertical, rather than horizontal, games. I'm not sure I'd like that with an already small display.

Seems like I might keep my original Asteroids pre-order after all, although it's frustrating that there's no ball and paddle game on that one.

from the looks of it, the screen is always horizontal. in fact the image looks stretched out.

on centipede, there is a huge amount of space on the top and bottom of the screen, and also the sides, i don't think it's any different for millipede.

all the other games have a horizontal layout (except maybe super breakout), gravitar does, and so does liberator.

9649533.02.big.jpg

then again, this is a different angle:

9649533.01.big.jpg

i'm pretty sure they used horizontal layout in all the cabinets.

later

Edited by negative1

Of the three cabinet pictures there, I think the one with the 12" riser and fancier art on the front panels is probably the most up-to-date one. It also matches the box art. I agree it looks horizontal.

from the looks of it, the screen is always horizontal. in fact the image looks stretched out.

on centipede, there is a huge amount of space on the top and bottom of the screen, and also the sides, i don't think it's any different for millipede.

all the other games have a horizontal layout (except maybe super breakout), gravitar does, and so does liberator.

9649533.02.big.jpg

then again, this is a different angle:

9649533.01.big.jpg

later

If these turn out to be decent, I can see myself picking one up. Quality if controls will be an issue for me, and if it's build your own furniture...could be like Ikea, but also could be like Walmart. The price point seems to point more to Waldomart. But who knows?

If they offered different orientations for monitors, that would be interesting too.

The big problem is that I want a MAME type selection of games.

Is that an issue? It's not like there's a shortage of those DIY cabs that'll play whatever you want :P There are even cabinets sold that go the Ikea route with cam locks and all and shove in the display/mame solution of choice.

If these turn out to be decent, I can see myself picking one up. Quality if controls will be an issue for me, and if it's build your own furniture...could be like Ikea, but also could be like Walmart. The price point seems to point more to Waldomart. But who knows?

If they offered different orientations for monitors, that would be interesting too.

Im struggling to determine a difference between IKEA and Walmart in regards to build it yourself particle board furniture.

Yeah... one of the things I like about this line of cabinets is that they got the vertical monitor orientation correct with the 4-game Centipede cabinet. Ultimately that's the double-edged sword of arcade cabinets. There is no one universal configuration for all game types. But like I said before, that's one reason why this market is so potentially lucrative. It's impossible to satisfy all wants with one product. Gotta collect 'em all!

Regarding the size of these cabinets, I think it's a great choice. In Japanese game centers, there are lots of cabinets of just about this height (these are 46", Sega's universal Astro City cabinet and its successors are about 54" tall) and it's standard to play them seated. Granted, those cabinets are wider and have larger screens. They also feature a flat controller layout, so there is precedent for that and it's good ergonomics to keep your wrists as straight as possible while playing. I can understand that some folks want a full size cabinet, but most people do not want to have to get three or four grown men together any time they need to wrestle a 175-pound-plus cabinet up or down a flight of stairs.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about vertical vs. horizontal games on an emulator box like this. I've got 4:3 monitors mounted horizontally in all of my projects and they're fine for both orientations, so long as you force the proper aspect ratio and don't stretch the image to fill the whole screen (*shudder*). Sure, the vertical games will not fill the whole screen, but I guess I just don't see why that is such a show-stopper. Not once in 8 years has somebody pointed to my MAME cabinet display and said "how come the image doesn't fill the screen? That doesn't look right to me!"

If I were paying money for an original dedicated single-game classic cabinet and it had the wrong style monitor in it, then that would be one thing, but in the realm of multi-game emulator boxes, compromises are unavoidable so it's wise to choose your battles. I'd strongly urge people to pay closer attention to the compromises being made in controls--both hardware quality and layout--than in screen real estate.

Heck, I built a "cocktail cabinet" style MAME rig into my pop-up camper that uses a small 8" 4:3 LCD, and I have no problem at all enjoying Donkey Kong on there, black bars and all.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about vertical vs. horizontal games on an emulator box like this. I've got 4:3 monitors mounted horizontally in all of my projects and they're fine for both orientations, so long as you force the proper aspect ratio and don't stretch the image to fill the whole screen (*shudder*). Sure, the vertical games will not fill the whole screen, but I guess I just don't see why that is such a show-stopper. Not once in 8 years has somebody pointed to my MAME cabinet display and said "how come the image doesn't fill the screen? That doesn't look right to me!"

If I were paying money for an original dedicated single-game classic cabinet and it had the wrong style monitor in it, then that would be one thing, but in the realm of multi-game emulator boxes, compromises are unavoidable so it's wise to choose your battles. I'd strongly urge people to pay closer attention to the compromises being made in controls--both hardware quality and layout--than in screen real estate.

Heck, I built a "cocktail cabinet" style MAME rig into my pop-up camper that uses a small 8" 4:3 LCD, and I have no problem at all enjoying Donkey Kong on there, black bars and all.

My personal issue is that this is starting out as a small monitor already, so on the Deluxe model, Asteroids and the other horizontal orientation games will display even smaller. Centipede and the other vertical games on the other hand will display full screen. So, personally, I think you're better off getting each individual model with the monitor optimized for the games rather than the one Deluxe model. What sucks is that the Deluxe model has bonus games (and, depending upon your feelings on the riser, already includes the riser).

When I had a dedicated multi-game (MAME-based) arcade machine, I had a large Well Gardner 27" CRT. Everything displayed great on that regardless of original orientation. My issue here again is that this is a significantly smaller display, so I don't know if I'd be as happy.

It's not like actual arcade stuff was built to high quality in the States. Most Cabinets are MDF (maybe 3/4 for Cabinets, stuff you get at Walmart is most likely 1/2" or less) with vinyl slapped on, wood screws and glue. Maybe a plywood base. They stopped making cabinets in full plywood sometime in the 80's.

Yeah... one of the things I like about this line of cabinets is that they got the vertical monitor orientation correct with the 4-game Centipede cabinet. Ultimately that's the double-edged sword of arcade cabinets. There is no one universal configuration for all game types. But like I said before, that's one reason why this market is so potentially lucrative. It's impossible to satisfy all wants with one product. Gotta collect 'em all!

Regarding the size of these cabinets, I think it's a great choice. In Japanese game centers, there are lots of cabinets of just about this height (these are 46", Sega's universal Astro City cabinet and its successors are about 54" tall) and it's standard to play them seated. Granted, those cabinets are wider and have larger screens. They also feature a flat controller layout, so there is precedent for that and it's good ergonomics to keep your wrists as straight as possible while playing. I can understand that some folks want a full size cabinet, but most people do not want to have to get three or four grown men together any time they need to wrestle a 175-pound-plus cabinet up or down a flight of stairs.

again, look at the picture, the monitor is still horizontal even on the 4 game version:

( even though it looks 4:3, i don't think it actually is).

344917_440x350.jpg

you can see there is space around the edges and tops of the screen.

i agree, this is not a show stopper.

i would prefer this over a stretched image.

maybe there will be options in the settings, hopefully for things like that, and especially for scanlines, which to me,

are a much bigger deal.

i can't stand the way games look pixelly on a LCD monitor. scanlines help, along with other effects.

later

Edited by negative1

When I had a dedicated multi-game (MAME-based) arcade machine, I had a large Well Gardner 27" CRT. Everything displayed great on that regardless of original orientation. My issue here again is that this is a significantly smaller display, so I don't know if I'd be as happy.

Fair point I suppose, but in my experience, the real-world impact of "screen size" does not seem to follow a very intuitive arc. Perhaps the first common example of this I remember noticing was back when it was common to play 2-player split-screen games on home consoles. I remember thinking, well gee, split screen is annoying to look at; if only we could hook this system up to a much larger television, then the split screen would play like full screen does on a smaller display and be much less annoying. But it never seemed to work out that way; no matter how big the TV was, split screen was always split screen.

Similarly, in my experience playing emulated arcade games on displays of vastly different sizes, so long as the full image of the game is visible and the screen shape is not distorted (i.e. stretched or squashed) in any way, I find it easy to just "tune out" the monitor's physical shape and enjoy the game. Even on a tiny 8" monitor like I mentioned earlier. YMMV, I suppose.

It's not like actual arcade stuff was built to high quality in the States. Most Cabinets are MDF (maybe 3/4 for Cabinets, stuff you get at Walmart is most likely 1/2" or less) with vinyl slapped on, wood screws and glue. Maybe a plywood base. They stopped making cabinets in full plywood sometime in the 80's.

They had to at least be built with materials strong enough to hold the weight of a 100lb, 25 inch CRT in most cases.

later

A good way to compare is to go to the Arcade1Up web site, and view the 3D rotating images of the following:

Asteroids
Final Fight
Street Fighter II
Then go look at Centipede. Also, look at Galaga on Walmart; the monitors look vertical and the bezels seem to match on those two cabinets.
Asteroids, FF and SFII to me all appear horizontal, with a very square looking bezel and matching screen shape.