IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

A good way to compare is to go to the Arcade1Up web site, and view the 3D rotating images of the following:

Asteroids
Final Fight
Street Fighter II
Then go look at Centipede. Also, look at Galaga on Walmart; the monitors look vertical and the bezels seem to match on those two cabinets.
Asteroids, FF and SFII to me all appear horizontal, with a very square looking bezel and matching screen shape.

I don't trust their render of it either. actually until it comes out, we're not going to know for sure which way it is.

the galaga cabinet definitely looks vertical though.

too bad they put the monitor vertical and not slanted like the original though.

38e7ac20-003f-4c6d-a68f-3b40964a3c91_1.4

Gal1.jpg

the real cabaret version:

aGalaga.jpg

i know it looks retro, but i like the wood grain on it, maybe 1up could have an option for that too.

later

Edited by negative1

I'm intrigued, but also quizzical about the 4' height. If the stock photos are to scale, that puts the controls roughly 2' off the floor. Even a child would have difficulty using the machine comfortably, maybe unless seated. Why not ape the size and profile of vintage cabaret machines instead?

Nevertheless, an IKEA build-it-yourself arcade cab certainly isn't the worst idea I've ever heard.

Agreed. A Bartop form factor would be much more comfortable, and likely cheaper than a scale replica of an original standup arcade cabinet.

• Like 1

They've done the worst quality LCD with Wii like IR sensors going well back. Take a look for an old Tiger handheld (tabletop) game with a little detachable clicker laser gun and a base stand up unit with 4 IR sensors on a classic glass 80s style Tiger display. They did Virtua Cop and Rebel Assault(Star Wars) and I've had both, also Area 51 and I think another. Surprisingly didn't work every time, but did work most of the time so it wasn't a total pisser. I think it was just too basic and sensitive to other light sources but I had one on my desk for awhile.

If something Tiger awful/lame/basic could do it, something now could pull it off far nicer and on the cheap.

The more I look at these I feel like I'd buckle for the Capcom non-SF2 unit. SF2 just seems insanely boring with 3 samey fighters alone, but FInal FIght I put a hell of a lot of quarters into back in the day as I did even earlier with GnG. Strider closest cover of that would be Genesis which I didn't scratch much and 1944 would be new territory but love 1941 (PCE), 1942 and 1943/Kai so it would be excellent. Games like those, especially FF would be a great stress breaker pounding on stuff not worrying about quarter loss. My concern would be space and only that.

I wished that they had more games per cabinet.

The Centipede, Missile Command combo is very nice, and the Final Fight with Strider is good too, but I can't have 2 cabinets.

Dilemma...

Speaking of original Arcades, I would love to have original Deluxe Asteroids with that cool 3d effect and vector graphics.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but they're asking people to vote on their "what next" poll at https://www.arcade1up.com

Where is the poll located on the page? I'm not seeing not seeing it anywhere on the desktop or mobile sites.

Edit: Nevermind, I am a fuzzbrain. It was on the upper right on the desktop site, my mobile device just wasn't showing it even in desktop mode. Found it on my laptop though and voted for Mortal Kombat. :)

Edited by Jin

Where is the poll located on the page? I'm not seeing not seeing it anywhere on the desktop or mobile sites.

Edit: Nevermind, I am a fuzzbrain. It was on the upper right on the desktop site, my mobile device just wasn't showing it even in desktop mode. Found it on my laptop though and voted for Mortal Kombat. :)

I voted for Simpsons, fun to play in multiplayer.

I wished that they had more games per cabinet.

The Centipede, Missile Command combo is very nice, and the Final Fight with Strider is good too, but I can't have 2 cabinets.

Dilemma...

Speaking of original Arcades, I would love to have original Deluxe Asteroids with that cool 3d effect and vector graphics.

This is my complaint as well. The parts in this thing are not more expensive to produce than a typical $50 IKEA particle board dresser or end table. They could either add more games to make the $300 price point worth it, or drop the price to about $150 and still make a healthy profit. this feels a bit like when they released the 3D0 just before the Playstation, and they were asking $700 for it.

This is my complaint as well. The parts in this thing are not more expensive to produce than a typical $50 IKEA particle board dresser or end table. They could either add more games to make the $300 price point worth it, or drop the price to about $150 and still make a healthy profit. this feels a bit like when they released the 3D0 just before the Playstation, and they were asking $700 for it.

I think you're in the extreme minority here frankly in thinking that the $299.99 price point is excessive.

• Like 2

I think you're in the extreme minority here frankly in thinking that the $299.99 price point is excessive.

$300 for 4 games in an non-upgrade-able standalone cabinet is highway robbery. Especially considering you can buy those exact same 4 games, and dozens of others, in a completely legal Console compilation release for $20.

If these had some sort of ethernet port or Wifi connectivity where you could upgrade later to add games, or a proprietary cart or SD card slot for the same - the price would be worth it.

Also - I believe you're right in that I am in the extreme minority with this opinion ON THIS SITE - because this site is mostly filled with hardcore retro game collectors who apparently have tons of disposable income, to whom $300 on a 4 game hardcoded dwarf cabinet is irresisitible, and who feel it's their duty to mock and shame anyone who suggests a lower price point would be more fair to general consumers.

I have a feeling that in January 2019 - Bed Bath & Beyond and Walmart will be blowing these things out for $79.99 with a yellow sticker sale "we gotta recoup our losses and get these off the floor!" Not because they are a bad product - they look great. But because the kind of collectors who go gaga over this stuff, to whom price is apparently not an obstacle, are NOT your average Walmart bargain hunter.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

$300 for 4 games in an non-upgrade-able standalone cabinet is highway robbery. Especially considering you can buy those exact same 4 games, and dozens of others, in a completely legal Console compilation release for $20.

If these had some sort of ethernet port or Wifi connectivity where you could upgrade later to add games, or a proprietary cart or SD card slot for the same - the price would be worth it. .

There's nothing wrong with having a targeted selection of games with official licenses, artwork, etc., rather than many more games that you may not really care about. Anyway, I'd like to know when in the history of anything we've had an arcade-style cabinet anywhere near this price point? Even the garbage Big Electronic Fun Midway Home Arcade from circa 2005 was around $450 - $499 when it was released. A sub-$300 price point is a breakthrough for this type of product. About the closest thing was when those Zizzle pinball machines released at $300 circa 2006, but those were definitely not as nice as these are.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'd like to know when in the history of anything we've had an arcade-style cabinet anywhere near this price point?

We still haven't.

This thing doesn't even come up to my chest. It's shorter than those off-brand ATMs you see at 7-11. It's in danger of be trod upon by dwarves.

spinal_tap_stonehenge_descend_1200_773_8

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

If you only look at the games list when making your value judgement, then yes, it's expensive. But I think there is a "value add" in these products over and above the basic game list that justifies a higher price point, and that is the ability to experience the games on arcade controls, with (hopefully) a simple-to-use and attractive front end that anybody can plug in and start playing.

Console compilation disks are fine for some, but count me among the crowd who hasn't the slightest interest in playing Galaga or Missile Command with a Dual Shock controller or Wii-mote. As far as I'm concerned, that is tantamount to steering a car with a pipe wrench on the steering column.

Certainly there are other options available to gamers that would provide a much larger bang-for-buck factor, such as building a MAME cabinet or RPi console. But those types of projects require wood-working skills, tools, space to work in, lots of free time to build, creative skills and computer skills to make the artwork, knowledge of how to navigate and configure emulators and front ends, etc. I can vouch that those types of projects are very doable if you're determined, but they're definitely not for the faint of heart if you want to end up with something nice for your time and money.

It's not hard for me to imagine how a commercial off-the-shelf solution would be something that people would be willing to pay a bit of money for, if it enables them to bypass the slog of legwork, research, design, and build of a homebrew project. Even if they do have their cost-to-build down in the $50 range (which is doubtful), they are going to sell the products at whatever the market will bear. And the general vibe I'm getting so far is that there is a lot of interest and intrigue surrounding these things in the community (which, let's face it, is a pretty tough crowd for stuff like this).

I'm not even saying I'm in the market for one of these things, but I can see the appeal for sure.

I love my barcade.. but if I was honest it wasn't exactly cheap and I ended up paying about $500-600 total when all parts were added up, for what's essentially a friggin Rpi3 emulation box. And that doesn't even count the labor and setup I had to do.

Some purists would scoff but we all know this isn't for them. It's for easy pickins by every Joe Smith at the grocery store with a nostalgia for arcade games :P So yeah in that view I think the $300 for a ready out of the box experience with nice controls and artwork is a value, even at the 4ft size.

• Like 2

I love my barcade.. but if I was honest it wasn't exactly cheap and I ended up paying about $500-600 total when all parts were added up, for what's essentially a friggin Rpi3 emulation box. And that doesn't even count the labor and setup I had to do.

Some purists would scoff but we all know this isn't for them. It's for easy pickins by every Joe Smith at the grocery store with a nostalgia for arcade games :P So yeah in that view I think the $300 for a ready out of the box experience with nice controls and artwork is a value, even at the 4ft size.

My point was - these things do not compute.

Easy pickins Joe Smith at the Grocery story mostly ignored all the Ms Pac-Man and Space Invaders on-a-stick type releases that were $25-$30 at every Best Buy, Walmart & Bed Bath & Beyond. Why would anyone think they would be able to sell these people the same games with similar "arcade style" knockoff controls in an IKEA FlüggeNarn box for $300?

Why would anyone think they would be able to sell these people the same games with similar "arcade style" knockoff controls in an IKEA FlüggeNarn box for $300?

Because the machines look really cool, and every kid who grew up in the 70's or 80's dreamed of having their own arcade machine. This product makes that dream a reality at an affordable price with little hassle.

• Like 2