IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Why does the spinner "click". People have said it becomes smooth after installing some

washers to add separation from the panel. Is that true. Some lubrication should loosen it a bit.

The movement being faster than the original arcade might make-up for the tight spinner. It can also be considered a cheat.

The movement is NOT a cheat, it makes it much worse. Its overly sensitive and will kill you if

you try to spin it too fast, also the encoder loses values, if you overspin.

I definitely agree with this and found this an interesting timing for the challenge.

Just last night I started a game from the highest available blue level without prior play (54,000) and made

into the red level, Cross or Triangle (cant remember which at the moment).

I've done the #6 washers + thin black tape mod for my spinner.

As I put in my review, out of the box, it was playable but this small fix made things a whole lot better.

When I play again, I'll grab some pics of I think of it.

I am considering upgrading the spinner to a Spin Trak though;

this individual appears to have achieved a means for getting a nice adjustment for it with this cab:

cool, glad your mod helps your gameplay,

and good job on getting to the red levels.

would love to see other good players post some footage.

I could get past the spinner. I could get past the dodgy trackball.

But the aliasing on those vector games, oh my. What's this thing rendering at? 640 x 480?

The PS4 Atari Collection looks MILES better, darn near close to a real vector display on my OLED TV.

Maybe better, actually.

Agreed, was playing it on my XBOX one, and it looks great.

Here's gameplay from the XBOX one console of Atari Flashback : Level 82- 910,000

https://bit.ly/2RfHkeE[MP4 video]

temp82.jpg

I am using the analog stick to play, I can also use the buttons. I do have a spinner

through Cronus Maxpro adapter, but I'm still tweaking the settings.

A lot of the later levels, you end up sitting in one place, and tapping fire a lot,

and then barely moving around.

Can someone with the Deluxe show how Centipede/Millipede look on the display?

Yes, please show it head on, or give the measurements for the gameplay area

showing the aspect ratio of the games. I wonder if they had to scale it down,

or do some multiple of the proper arcade resolution to make it fit the monitor.

I know the vertical cabinet probably had truer ratio scaling.

later

Edited by negative1

(egregious comment deleted)

just curious mr mullet,

i know this is offtopic kinda.

but do you think the AT multicade will have this many issues when it comes out.

unfortunately there is no pricepoint yet. i hope it stays in the 3 digit figures,

otherwise there's plenty of choices at that range.

but regardless, a 400 game (probably mostly console games), with arcade quality

joysticks, buttons and trackballs, shouldn't be too hard to mess up, right.

anyways theres a thread here about it, but you hadn't commented on it yet.

later

just curious mr mullet,

i know this is offtopic kinda.

but do you think the AT multicade will have this many issues when it comes out.

unfortunately there is no pricepoint yet. i hope it stays in the 3 digit figures,

otherwise there's plenty of choices at that range.

but regardless, a 400 game (probably mostly console games), with arcade quality

joysticks, buttons and trackballs, shouldn't be too hard to mess up, right.

anyways theres a thread here about it, but you hadn't commented on it yet.

later

I tend not to comment on stuff while it's still in the hypothetical "vaporware" stage of life. If it actually comes to production and we get a real in person look at it, I'll make my thoughts heard.

It shoudn't be this hard, but to make the kind of profit margins that arcade1up was shooting for, they apparently decided cutting corners was the better answer.

I think what gets lost in the noise of this thread, that people misread, is that it IS possible to build a much better quality, near-arcade quality rig for close to the $300 or $400 price point - if you DIY. But for a company to mass produce these, and be able to pay all their bills, pay their employees, and make even a modest profit - it's not. It's just not possible at those margins. But it is possible to produce a barely-passable product that ships to market riddled with problems, and late, and eventually garners underwhelming reactions. It seems like these guys do care about their reputation seeing as they are trying to correct the problems, but anytime you have to go back and fix things, rather than just sacrificing a few profit dollars to test it and get it right the first time - you're already starting from behind. That's not a good place to start.

Someone asked about the Centipede and Millipede games, being

smaller on the deluxe, and that the aspect ratios of both

games looked wrong on there, and on the regular cabinets.

So I looked into it. The arcade 1up pictures, used stock photos,

so they aren't exactly accurate, but are close. The deluxe image

IS incorrect, so I had to fix it to match.

I used reference images from youtube.

Bottom Line:

====================================================

Aspect ratio is close on Regular, and Deluxe versions.

Incorporating 5x vertical scaling, and 4x horizontal gives

1280x960 pixel resolution on the 1280x1024 screen. With 32

pixels unused on sides.

So, yes, the images are mostly correct, but much smaller.

The standard cabinet is 71% the size of the arcade screen

on a standard 19 inch monitor.

The deluxe cabinet is 60% the size of the Arcade 1up

standalone cabinet.

Results summarized below. (sizes in inches, and pixels)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
               size      height     width    ratio    resolution screen res
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
arcade monitor 19 inch    15.5       12.75  6:5  1.2   256x240      240p

arcade 1up
standard       17 inch    13.256    10.643  5:4  1.25  1024x1280    n/a

arcade 1up
deluxe         17 inch    10.643    13.256  4:5  0.8   1280x1024    n/a

area comparisons
-------------------------
arcade monitor   =    197.625 in2

arcade 1up standard = 141 in2       = 71% of arcade

arcade 1up deluxe   = 84.3 in2      = 60% of arcade 1up
===========================================================================

Arcade 1up reference

arc-1up-centipede-comp.jpg

Arcade 1up deluxe

arc-1up-delux-cent-cropfix.jpg

Deluxe, arcade screen capture,

centipede dedicate, millipede dedicated

---------------------------------------

centipede-ref-image.jpg

Actual arcade monitor

---------------------

arcade-centipede-actual-cropresize.jpg

==================

Sources : google images, youtube videos (deadmoon)

arcade1up page, bestbuy.com

Reference images : arcade centipede, arcade 1up pictures,

centipede deluxe cabinet, centipede and millipede on

arcade 1up.

later

Edited by negative1

at the risk of going offtopic deeply again,

i just wanted to state my position, and warn others who think about buying their products.

maybe i am an anomaly with my problem, but i have heard from other people too, so i'm not in the same position:

--------------------------------

basically, the tech support people wouldn't help me, wouldn't let me talk to anyone on the phone.

banned my account, banned my email, and also didn't refund me on 2 products that i shipped back to them

when i paid my own shipping.

they claim that the parts were too old to refund, and refused to issue one, and when i asked for them back,

they refused that also.

they would not escalate the matter, and basically shut off any communications.

all this for $40 worth of parts.

i have posted on their twitter, facebook, and other pages, with no response, and expect to banned

from posting there also.

a garbage company, with garbage customer service, and useless products.

later

Wow, sorry to hear about that. My two issues over a ten year span was replacement usb board and joysticks that eventually went mushy for my taste. No issue replacements were given and they paid shipping to Canada. It literally could not have been easier. But I guess every situation is different. I certainly wouldnt call them scam artists but maybe I would if what happened to you happened to me.

20181025 200101 resized

Assembled my Atari 12-in-1 this past week.

Found the packaging on this was much better than the Centipede cab, and mine arrived with little to no damage other than to the side panels (which Arcade1Up will be replacing).

Overall I would say this is probably the best value of all their cabs, provided you like the selection of games.

Other than Centipede and Millipede, everything looks great as expected. With both Missile Command and Crystal Castles now filling the screen, they look better and were more enjoyable than on my Centipede cab, will now be dedicated to just that and Millipede, which probably would have been a better way for Arcade1Up to have gone (which is more in line with their Galaga, Space Invaders and Pac-Man cabs).

The trackball on the Atari works just as good as the one I replaced on my Centipede cab, so again anyone finding their trackball "sluggish" or otherwise poorly responsive should contact Arcade1Up for a replacement: the trackball should not work like crap.

The artwork on the control panel could have been better, but then they would have had to pay someone to combine the Centipede and Asteroids artwork (although someone had to do this for the marquee, so I'm not sure what happened there with the control panel). The button placement works much better for Missile Command than on the Centipede cab.

Now, as with every other review: the "spinner" is just plain crap. Or more importantly, its just not a spinner, period. Certainly not one from any arcade game I've ever played (or owned). This thing is basically a dial that "clicks" when you turn it, which I guess was by design on Arcade1Up's part (although why, I have no idea).

That being said, you can play Tempest with it in my opinion, its just a matter of getting used to the new control, thats all. No, its not going to control like the arcade, but it is playable and Tempest can be pretty fun. As far as Major Havok, well, not so much it seems, since the "dial" (thats what it reminds me of) doesn't continue to move, so you can't really get 'Havok to move the way he's supposed to. You have an alternate play method with a left and right button, and that to me actually seemed to work better than the "dial".

Arcade1Up is supposed to be posting a video on "fixing" the spinner but I really would prefer a proper fix from them - if not a "real" spinner than some kind of kit to make their "dial" more like a spinner.

Again as with Centipede, props to Arcade1Up for addressing my issues with the Atari cab, but I would have liked to have them acknowledge the crap job they did on the spinner and offer a replacement, but I don't think thats going to happen.

• Like 1

Great summary.. thanks to you I think I've made my choice (which keeps waffling back & forth) and will pick up the 12-1. I don't plan on picking up more than one of these, so.. more games is better, run of the mill controls aside. I still can't get over the plain ugly control panel though, but maybe that'll make me not care too much if the stickers peel. :lol:

• Like 1

I suspect the garbage spinner is one of the reasons why they ended up dropping Breakout. If you try to play the Breakout mini-game on the side of Major Havoc with that spinner, you're basically out of luck since there's way to move it accurately enough for more than a few bounces.

Anyway, I was emailed the instructions from Arcade1Up about making the spinner potentially work better (loosening it up, essentially), so I'll try that. If it doesn't improve things, I'll complain a bit more and see if there's some type of replacement possible.

• Like 1

Great summary.. thanks to you I think I've made my choice (which keeps waffling back & forth) and will pick up the 12-1. I don't plan on picking up more than one of these, so.. more games is better, run of the mill controls aside. I still can't get over the plain ugly control panel though, but maybe that'll make me not care too much if the stickers peel. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised to see customized vinyl replacement artwork that you can apply to these cabs on your own - the market would certainly be there for it.

I suspect the garbage spinner is one of the reasons why they ended up dropping Breakout. If you try to play the Breakout mini-game on the side of Major Havoc with that spinner, you're basically out of luck since there's way to move it accurately enough for more than a few bounces.

Anyway, I was emailed the instructions from Arcade1Up about making the spinner potentially work better (loosening it up, essentially), so I'll try that. If it doesn't improve things, I'll complain a bit more and see if there's some type of replacement possible.

Yeah, I had issues with the mini-game as well with that dial.

Hey Bill can you post those "spinner" instructions here in some format or another?

Please post an update if you make the changes and how they seem to you. If you plan on complaining more I'll do the same - maybe we can go the route of creating a petition on change.org to get them to replace it with a real spinner. I'm sure between AtariAge, Facebook, twitter etc. and all your contacts we could get the word out to people to get them to sign it.

Yeah, I had issues with the mini-game as well with that dial.

Hey Bill can you post those "spinner" instructions here in some format or another?

Please post an update if you make the changes and how they seem to you. If you plan on complaining more I'll do the same - maybe we can go the route of creating a petition on change.org to get them to replace it with a real spinner. I'm sure between AtariAge, Facebook, twitter etc. and all your contacts we could get the word out to people to get them to sign it.

"... Please take the following steps and let us know if you see an improvement in the knob wheel. If you are continuing to experience the same issue as described previously.

1.) Turn the on/off switch to the off position and unplug your machine from the wall outlet.
2.) Remove the 4 screws securing the control deck to the cabinet.
3.) Carefully unplug the ribbon cable from the control deck.
4.) Turn the control deck over and remove the 6 screws securing the dust cover in place.
5.) Visually inspect the wires running from the mechanism to the control board and making sure there is no damage to the wires, and that the wires are plugged into the control board panel.
6.) Slightly loosen the screws securing the knob wheel to the control deck.
7.) Secure the Dust cover back to the control deck using the original 6 screws.
8.) Carefully plug the ribbon cable back into the control deck.
9.) Secure the control deck back to the cabinet using the 4 original screws.
10.) Plug the machine back into the wall outlet.
11.) Turn the on/off switch back into the on position. ..."

"... Please take the following steps and let us know if you see an improvement in the knob wheel. If you are continuing to experience the same issue as described previously.

1.) Turn the on/off switch to the off position and unplug your machine from the wall outlet.
2.) Remove the 4 screws securing the control deck to the cabinet.
3.) Carefully unplug the ribbon cable from the control deck.
4.) Turn the control deck over and remove the 6 screws securing the dust cover in place.
5.) Visually inspect the wires running from the mechanism to the control board and making sure there is no damage to the wires, and that the wires are plugged into the control board panel.
6.) Slightly loosen the screws securing the knob wheel to the control deck.
7.) Secure the Dust cover back to the control deck using the original 6 screws.
8.) Carefully plug the ribbon cable back into the control deck.
9.) Secure the control deck back to the cabinet using the 4 original screws.
10.) Plug the machine back into the wall outlet.
11.) Turn the on/off switch back into the on position. ..."

Well, I tried it. Very simple to take apart and do, so that's a plus. Unfortunately, you can only loosen the screws so much before the knob shaft loses contact with the encoder, so there really isn't much loosening you can do. Even with a little loosening, there's still the clicking when turning - it's part of the encoder, so there's no way around it. I put a little silicone spray in there (just like with the trackball previously), which may have helped a smidge, but it's still unacceptable. Frankly, using the buttons for Tempest and Major Havoc really shouldn't be better options than the spinner knob.

I'm going to write back to them and express my disappointment. We'll see what they say.

• Like 1

Well, I tried it. Very simple to take apart and do, so that's a plus. Unfortunately, you can only loosen the screws so much before the knob shaft loses contact with the encoder, so there really isn't much loosening you can do. Even with a little loosening, there's still the clicking when turning - it's part of the encoder, so there's no way around it. I put a little silicone spray in there (just like with the trackball previously), which may have helped a smidge, but it's still unacceptable. Frankly, using the buttons for Tempest and Major Havoc really shouldn't be better options than the spinner knob.

I'm going to write back to them and express my disappointment. We'll see what they say.

This is was what I had found as well while I was doing the #6 washers mod. I tried the 'loosening the screws trick' just to see if it helped but it was an ineffective attempt of a fix. Two (2) #6 washers and a tiny sliver of black tape, however, provided just enough clearance of the dial from the cab and nicely dampened the clicking I was experiencing (not entirely clear as to why it had this effect).

As I have been sitting here this evening it dawned on me what their spinner 'clicking' reminded me of; the scroll wheel in my Logitech M570 TrackBall device

Two of the best videos showing how to replace the spinner, very detailed:

all you guys that think that loosening the dial is something,

should really consider doing these mods.

if you really think it will make a difference,

take the time, it's not that hard.

this one is a cheaper solution:

this is a more expensive one:

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 2

Two of the best videos showing how to replace the spinner, very detailed:

all you guys that think that loosening the dial is something,

should really consider doing these mods.

if you really think it will make a difference,

take the time, it's not that hard.

this one is a cheaper solution:

this is a more expensive one:

later

Best one I have seen, I have my spintrac so Will be doing this next week, Thanks for the post!

• Like 1