IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I still think thats just paint, not vinyl graphics. I've seen paint peel like that. Compare the feel of the control panel graphics - that doesn't feel the same as the side panels?

I'll post a pic of the crack in the side art on my Galaga - vinyl should have just stretched in my opinion.

A valid point. I have built games myself. I have a Defender cabinet and a Mad Planets cabaret that i built sitting in my basement right now, actually. I went this route because i could pick this thing up, assemble it and have a working game in an hour. It had the games that i wanted pre-installed, I didn't have to worry about how i was going to power it, sourcing parts, sourcing custom artwork etc. I can modify it as i see fit, when i see fit, using materials i already had leftover from previous projects. Building a cabinet from scratch is a long, drawn out process. This was cheap, easy and quick.

because i'm buying the cabinet no matter what.

yeah, maybe it will be too much work to alter it.

in that case, i won't, it wasn't a gaurantee that i was going to do it.

just a thought.

i would never want to start from scratch, too much work, it's easier to alter

something hopefully.

==================================

in other news.

looks like galaga may have a reset glitch at level 87, edd ray shows it here,

but its one machine, and i trust him, because he's an expert player.

i would try it also, but i've been to 8 walmarts, and only found an asteroids playable demo,

so i can't verify it either..

oh brother...[The description has the details, since the video cuts off]

i wonder if there are going to be problems with the pac-man cabinet and game too.

i will try to get to the killscreen, but at this point i don't know if it will

get that far either.

guess we'll find out.

later

Edited by negative1

Interesting about the paint versus vinyl. Also someone mentioned earlier about black paint differences in the interior around the monitor. I wonder if theres manufacturing differences as time goes on depending on what batch you get

Not sure if you meant the the LCD frame as they call it? I had mentioned that on my Centipede and 12-in-1 cab they left them with the bare "wood" finish, whereas on my Rampage and Galaga cabs the monitor frame is black laminate on the outward facing side, and like a silver-ish color on the inward facing side. So the black laminate looks much nicer obviously and has a much more finished look to it, especially when the cab is fully assembled. On my Centipede and 12-in-1 you can see the unfinished LCD frame to the left and right side of the LCD plexiglass, which looks crappy. Once I get all the replacement parts from Arcade1Up I had planned on spraying flat black paint on the frame or using some type of flat black tape under the plexi so the wood doesnt show through. Whatever is easier or looks better.

Actually, I was wrong. The side art on mine at least is a clear laminated paper sticker. I had to peel about a 1" strip off the bottom.

Anyways, here's a shot of where I'm at with this:

attachicon.gif20181117_140905~2-1.jpg

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, that makes sense as I kept thinking no way in heck vinyl would have "torn" like this:

panel D 1

panel D 2

Its from the cam lock (or whatever its called) being pushed too far into the particle board from the other side. They're sending me a replacement panel.
Props on your project by the way, its looks great so far.

My question is for the people that did buy them and are playing them. How is your experience. Was it worth it to you. Still on the fence and want some honest opinions. Is the game play worth it to you

I think it depends on which machine you buy. My Centipede plays pretty well. The track ball needed some lubricating, but other than that it's been good.

I played an asteroids at Wal-Mart and it was almost unplayable because of the God awful spinner.

My question is for the people that did buy them and are playing them. How is your experience. Was it worth it to you. Still on the fence and want some honest opinions. Is the game play worth it to you

Very happy with my Atari Deluxe 12-1. When I first heard of these back in what, July or so, I was all for getting one. Then as the negative reviews and comments came I became skeptical. In the end I had a $75 credit at Best Buy and decided to roll the dice and get one. It's been up and running near constantly for about 10 days now, I power it up in the morning and shut it down when I turn in for the night. My wife, son, and I all play it and now that my wife has one of the top three scores in Centipede I can actually switch games and she doesn't care because it saves her score, haha. I have all these games and many more in my Mame/Launchbox rig and this is more fun for us.

We all love it and will hopefully be getting a Pac-Man or Galaga during Walmart's Black Friday sale.

I think it depends on which machine you buy. My Centipede plays pretty well. The track ball needed some lubricating, but other than that it's been good.

I played an asteroids at Wal-Mart and it was almost unplayable because of the God awful spinner.

You do realize that Asteroids doesn't use the spinner right? Buttons for all controls. ;)

The spinner though, yeah, it's not good. But for me I don't care, the only game it affects is Tempest.

• Like 1

Very happy with my Atari Deluxe 12-1. When I first heard of these back in what, July or so, I was all for getting one. Then as the negative reviews and comments came I became skeptical. In the end I had a $75 credit at Best Buy and decided to roll the dice and get one. It's been up and running near constantly for about 10 days now, I power it up in the morning and shut it down when I turn in for the night. My wife, son, and I all play it and now that my wife has one of the top three scores in Centipede I can actually switch games and she doesn't care because it saves her score, haha. I have all these games and many more in my Mame/Launchbox rig and this is more fun for us.

We all love it and will hopefully be getting a Pac-Man or Galaga during Walmart's Black Friday sale.

You do realize that Asteroids doesn't use the spinner right? Buttons for all controls. ;)

The spinner though, yeah, it's not good. But for me I don't care, the only game it affects is Tempest.

I didn't play asteroids. I attempted to play tempest and it didn't go well. It's a shame, I'd probably buy the asteroids cabinet just for tempest and major havoc if the spinner wasn't such a turd.

I didn't play asteroids. I attempted to play tempest and it didn't go well. It's a shame, I'd probably buy the asteroids cabinet just for tempest and major havoc if the spinner wasn't such a turd.

I agree the spinner is not good and I can see where that would be a bummer for people. So if the spinner matters, steer clear. But - for me - it doesn't matter. The only game out of 12 that uses it is Tempest and I'm not interested in it. If they would have put Marble Madness on there in place of Tempest the thing would be perfect.

I agree the spinner is not good and I can see where that would be a bummer for people. So if the spinner matters, steer clear. But - for me - it doesn't matter. The only game out of 12 that uses it is Tempest and I'm not interested in it. If they would have put Marble Madness on there in place of Tempest the thing would be perfect.

i disagree with everyone that complains about the spinner.

i tried it again at walmart, that had an asteroids machine,

and got 190k, and several levels deep into the red screens.

edd ray has gotten 300k, into the yellow levels on the 12-1.

there is nothing wrong with the dial, except that it is stiff, and makes clicky sounds.

major havoc, yeah, it's not as great, but can still be played easily.

i'm not sure why people think its that bad. of course they're using the cheapest possible

dial, that nowhere near matches the free spinner of the arcade.

but if you know how to play the game properly, it makes no difference.

you NEVER need to spin dial fast anyways.

later

I received my pre ordered Galaga just over a week ago, no damage from shipping, it went together great. The joystick and fire button are not as responsive as my multicade with the Arcade SD but overall its good.

A few days later I picked up Asteroids at a retail store, no damage but did have some holes that did not match up with the monitor brackets, not a big deal. I bought it for Asteroids and so far its been great. I cannot comment on the spinner as I havent played the spinner games much at all.

Today I received PAC MAN, this was shipped to my house like Galaga, one small ding in the left side panel but it went together very well. I have only played a few games on it so far but seems ok.

I have control panel protectors on order from Arcade 1up for Galaga and Asteroids, not sure if they have one for PAC MAN.

I am amazed that there isnt more damage due to the way they are packed. As far as overall longevity only time will tell.

I hope to get a lot of playtime on them over the holidays, if I have any issues I will report back.

Gamestop is having a 30% of pre-black friday sale on some of the cabinets:

that makes them about $210.

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-arcade1up,28zu0

Pre-Black Friday - 30% off $100+ Collectibles - Get 30% off a $100 or more collectibles purchase! Some exclusions apply. Applicable to physical in-stock items ONLY. Offer valid 11/18/18 - 11/21/18. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice

later

• Like 1

I love my Atari 12-in-1, definitely has been worth it. My trackball has been just fine and as has been pointed out a few times, the spinner, while not perfect by any stretch, is usable and adequate. I was able to reach the yellow levels with the stock spinner (rotary controller) in pretty much the same # of games as I ever had during the arcade days. The only real issue I have is that Quantum is even harder than it normally is because the trackball sensitivity is too low for the game and so far there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust that.

For Tempest, a quick minor mod to the stock spinner (2 washers and small piece of black tape) can improve the 'feel' of the spinner a fair amount and if you're gung-ho for a real spinner, it is possible to replace the stock spinner with an Ultimarc SpinTrak spinner but this does require some work and willingness to spend time on making adjustments. I just happen to be one who really, really wanted the feel of a real spinner so I have done this mod, but still continue to work on creating a better 'mask' to tone down the sensitivity of the SpinTrak spinner. I am pretty sold on the notion that 24 open and 24 masked windows works best, the problem is in the accuracy of drawing the mask onto the spinner encoder. I contacted Ultimarc about the possibility of getting a different, less sensitive encoder disk and they said they might look into making some lower resolution disks.

So overall, I'm very pleased with my cab but I do understand that some have had some unfortunate quality issues with theirs.

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 1

If you can find them, they might clear out quickly.

So you'll end up finding used or broken ones.

Once this limited run is over, that's it.

They're not manufacturing anymore, according to them.

later

Well then they really will be collector's items! Considering how crappily built they are, by the turn of the decade or the one after you'll be lucky to find one that still works and hasn't been beaten to hell or had the sticker art rubbed off.

Edited by Tanooki

Totally forgot about Major Havoc, I'll have to play that some more.

Does Major Havoc only work with the spinner, or does it also work with the trackball? Because honestly the game should play better with the trackball. I used to play Major Havoc at the student center in college all the time, and the original version (not the tempest refit) had a cylinder spinner, not a dial spinner. A trackball would simulate that movement MUCH better than the dial.

Does Major Havoc only work with the spinner, or does it also work with the trackball? Because honestly the game should play better with the trackball. I used to play Major Havoc at the student center in college all the time, and the original version (not the tempest refit) had a cylinder spinner, not a dial spinner. A trackball would simulate that movement MUCH better than the dial.

only works with the spinner.

its very clunky, but playable.

later

I have 3 so far, the 12 in one for tempest (modding it now), the pacman , just cause, and the Gauntlet model. Will probably pandora 6s with a pie to this one, worth it for a simple to mod small cab,nice artwork. Actual licensed games.