IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Does Major Havoc only work with the spinner, or does it also work with the trackball? Because honestly the game should play better with the trackball. I used to play Major Havoc at the student center in college all the time, and the original version (not the tempest refit) had a cylinder spinner, not a dial spinner. A trackball would simulate that movement MUCH better than the dial.

In addition to the spinner, you can use buttons for both Major Havoc and Tempest. There's no trackball support for either of those two games.

My question is for the people that did buy them and are playing them. How is your experience. Was it worth it to you. Still on the fence and want some honest opinions. Is the game play worth it to you

I like it a lot, and play it a lot more than I expected. I have real arcade games, but I play them rarely, since I am worried I'll blow out something. I have no such worries with these, as they are new, without tubes of any sort, and cheap to replace. I did have to modify the spinner as I have the asteroids one. With that modified, it's a lot better!

Edited by lord_mike

Got the Deluxe cab in just today!.. I'm in zero rush, so immediately shoved the box in the garage and covered it with a tarp for the wife to wrap to me for Christmas later. :lol:

We'll put it together after opening on Christmas when everyone's just hanging out and there's a bunch of kids around.. more fun that way. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it. :P

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

tales from walmart : part 12

------------------------------

ok, last week, i saw a pac-man machine for sale,

but the next day went there and it was gone.

after having checked several other stores, nothing in sight.

so i thought i would wait until the pre-black friday sale tomorrow.

but, i had some time to kill today, and decided to go to a walmart on the way..

==============================

fake scarcity, and availablitly

===============================

i live in a big town, so there are at least 5 major walmarts within 5-15 minutes of me.

not to mention best buy, fry's, target, gamestop, etc.

every single one of them has tons of machines, every single one.

every walmart i went to had plenty of galaga's.

so i figure there will be plenty of pac-mans when they come out.

i don't know why people think they will be hard to get or find.

---

it comes down to do you want it now or later. because if you wait too long,

then yeah, it might be hard to find.

but considering technically, its out now, sure why not try to find one.

========================

so i'm walking up to the store, and what do i see, but a slightly older couple

walking out with a pac-man machine in their cart.

well great i thought, at least they have it, and they are selling it for the higher price.

so i asked them, nice find, do they have any more.

well, they didn't understand what i was saying, and they said, yeah there's 6 more,

meaning there are 6 other games back there, not pac-man. because i'm not sure if they

bought it for someone, or themselves, or whatever.

so i head to the back, and of course there's no pac-man there.

i ask they clerk, if he could check, and he was like, 'well maybe, i could like',

are you really going to buy it, or just looking.

i said, well, if they have one, i could put it on layaway.

he didn't look convinced, so i said, yeah, i guess i'll get it, if you have one.

he said, ok, head over to layway and i'll bring it there.

5 minutes later:

walpac.jpg

he shows up and brings it.

but nobodies there.

10 minutes later a lady shows up,

and tries to ring it up for another 10 minutes and gives up.

she calls a supervisor over, and he fiddles around for awhile,

and they finally get the order to go through.

after all that hassle, i'm not sure if i'm going to bother

trying to get the $50 if they lower the price later on.

whats done is done, so i guess maybe i'll have it by early december.

sure, they're getting more tomorrow and friday. but who cares,

these things are barely selling, so i don't see any point in trying

to stand in lines or go driving all over the place like earlier

when news was trickling out.

who cares if you got it first, as long as you get it.

moral of the story.

like i said, i'm going to gut it after a few weeks, and turn it into

a multi-console, pc stand, with an xbox one, and xbox 360 in there,

with a much better vga 4:3 monitor, and new controls.

maybe i can trade the pac-man unit with someone elses galaga or something

else, who knows....

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

That's a pretty good capsule summary of why I don't go to Walmart much at all. But what's up with this?

like i said, i'm going to gut it after a few weeks, and turn it into
a multi-console, pc stand, with an xbox one, and xbox 360 in there,
with a much better vga 4:3 monitor, and new controls.

What do you like about this thing? The paperboard cabinet?

• Like 3

Got the Deluxe cab in just today!.. I'm in zero rush, so immediately shoved the box in the garage and covered it with a tarp for the wife to wrap to me for Christmas later. :lol:

We'll put it together after opening on Christmas when everyone's just hanging out and there's a bunch of kids around.. more fun that way. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it. :P

Can I make a suggestion? Assemble it now, don't wait, then, if you really want, cover with a sheet or something and put a big bow on it till Christmas.

That's what I plan to do with Pac-Man (it was the only way the Wife would let me get another one).

As someone who has 5 cabs now, I can tell you unless you have the luck of the Irish, more than likely something will need to be replaced. With up to a six week waiting period, I wouldn't want you to have to wait for parts into next year.

(Alternatively: open the box, take pics of how everything fits, take everything out and check it, piece by piece. You can also test the monitor, game and control panel without fully assembling the cabinet as the power supply just plugs into the PCB on the back of the monitor, and the control panel connects to the PCB via an attached ribbon cable. If anything is bad, broken or damaged in any way, open a ticket with 1Up for a replacement after taking pics of the damage, then put everything back the way you found it. Now you can still unpack and assemble it on Christmas)

maybe i can trade the pac-man unit with someone elses galaga or something

else, who knows....

later

So by me, Galaga's have been showing up now left and right. Its like the flood gates are open, and they (Wally or 1Up) were sitting on a grain silo full of 'em. So, more than likely if you want a Galaga you'll have no problem getting one.

With so much negative press here about these machines along with family disapproval of them, I'm going to pass. I was actually excited about these, but as usual that got ruined pretty fast. Was going to look at something else tonight as well, but after judging attitudes at home, I'm passing on that as well. I'll just work through the holidays and ignore anything else that pops up.

I second what Flojomojo said and I'm also wondering why you'd want a 4:3 VGA monitor with an Xbox 360/One.

To be fair, a CRT is great for the variety of shoot 'em ups on the 360 as well as the earlier Xbox Live Arcade releases. A Xbox One on the other hand, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. I also don't see how he will manage to mount a CRT in the thing without significantly changing the cabinet setup (which sort of defeats the purpose of having it to begin with).

Edited by Austin

That's a pretty good capsule summary of why I don't go to Walmart much at all. But what's up with this?

What do you like about this thing? The paperboard cabinet?

it might seem like a hassle, but that's nothing compared to what people might go

through on pre-black friday or black friday.

and since walmart has an exclusive on them, you have deal with the devil.

as for why, i'm going to change my tagline to 'collectors gonna collect', no rhyme or reason for it.

its just because i can. (*)

(*) mostly

I second what Flojomojo said and I'm also wondering why you'd want a 4:3 VGA monitor with an Xbox 360/One.

ok, here's the story... went through a minor flood in the house earlier this year due to broken pipe.

had to reorganize the whole house, along with my brother.

so i'm taking stock of all my videogames and systems:

---------------
sega genesis, controllers, joystick
sega nomad [dead[
neo geo pocket color [specifically for the pac-man port]
sega dreamcast, controllers, joysticks
sega saturn controllers
ps2 (fat) controllers, and joysticks
atari jaguar, cd
---------
xbox (original)
xbox 360, custom arcade joystick
xbox one, fighting stick
-----
psp 2000
pc (several for gaming)
tablets (several for gaming)
laptop (for gaming)

usb spinner
mayflash ps3/xbox one/pc joystick
x-arcade joystick
several usb trackballs
cronus pro plus controller adapter
=====================================
i want to condense everything down to less room
than my ghetto setup now.

i have 
------------
several lcd monitors
ultrawide lcd monitor 27 inch
42 inch lcd tv
some 4:3 lcd monitors

2 large crt monitors - 25 inch and 27 inch
1 regular 15 inch crt 
1 mini lcd 5 inch (with composite inputs)
1 crt tv - 13 inch (with composite inputs)
1 professional sony trinitron 9 inch tv monitor
=================================
in addition to that, i have 1 full sized blasteroids arcade machine.

i'm not going to use anything earlier than xbox 360 for now.

(the dreamcast and ps2 will get some use)

i want to kill 3 birds with one stone.

the pac-man cabinet will be a glorified gaming cabinet

i can switch between pc games, xbox 360, and xbox one,

since i have vga adapter for the 360, and a hdmi to vga

adapter for the xbox one.

i can reuse the cronus pro plus adapter to use any

spinner, trackball, or joystick.

then i can use the pc with leaf switch joystick, and

replace or add more buttons for those games.

i only plan on adding all the pac-games:

----------

pac-man

puckman

pac-man plus

ms pac man (maybe the speedup chip version)

junior pac-man

pac-mania

pac n pal

and select namco games

rotated in and out:

-----------------------

pac man arrangement

dig dug

dig dug 2

xevious

bosconian

galaga

gaplus (or 3)

galaga 88

thats it.

the 360/one will cover all the other arcade games

and ports.

so that frees up a lot of space for me, because right now

i have at least 5 different machines, with 4 different monitors,

and tons of controllers all over the place, its a huge mess.

this might help.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

I can see these turning into the next collector craze...like beanie babies, but with arcade cabinets. We're already seeing store exclusive games...what's next, cabs getting discontinued and shooting up in value? Limited release model at a certain big box store? I need to pick one of these up!

Edited by SuperDork3000
  • Like 1

I can see these turning into the next collector craze...like beanie babies, but with arcade cabinets. We're already seeing store exclusive games...what's next, cabs getting discontinued and shooting up in value? Limited release model at a certain big box store? I need to pick one of these up!

all of these are already in limited runs, they're not making anymore of the current ones.

their new lineup will be out next spring: space invaders, final fight machine, and possibly ms pac man so far.

later

My Walmart had 20 Pac-Man and at least 20 Galaga. I would have bought one of each but could only afford one, so walked out with Pac-Man. Got it home and assembled, very nice cab, joystick works great. The red trim is a nice touch, surprised that it wasn't paint but T-molding.

Hoping to get Galaga before they are gone but it'll have to wait until after Christmas, will definitely be picking up a Space Invaders when they come out here in the US. These things are awesome for the price.

ar15D66l.jpg

• Like 1

Walmart still has all of them for $249 online. The rumor is that some Walmarts are dumping the excess Black Thursday ones today for $200. And then there's this weird combo on the Walmart website... (A1U and Replicade combo):

https://www.walmart.com/co/Arcade1Up-Centipede-Machine-4-foot-with-BONUS-RepliCade-x-Centipede-Mini-Arcade/503348784

Edited by twalk

Walmart still has all of them for $249 online. The rumor is that some Walmarts are dumping the excess Black Thursday ones today for $200. And then there's this weird combo on the Walmart website... (A1U and Replicade combo):

https://www.walmart.com/co/Arcade1Up-Centipede-Machine-4-foot-with-BONUS-RepliCade-x-Centipede-Mini-Arcade/503348784

I'm seeing several other reports of them for $200, and others saying they will be marked to

sell next week.

There is a picture of a receipt with the $200 price also, so it's not completely out the realm of being real.

later

That SF2 control panel overlay area there is worn bare. That unit I mentioned no more than a week ago if that which was new, at the same store I went back to today looks just the same. They must have used the shittiest quality ink possible to save a buck on these things. What the hell were they thinking?!