IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

They will be in the next series released.

given the fact that they are now requesting people send back defective equipment, and these things are apparently sitting unpurchased on store shelves a week before Christmas, I would not count on there being too many future series of these. Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

So after months of just talking about it and only seeing display units, I finally got my hands on trying to assemble one of these last night (a Pacman we gave as a gift). First of all.. we all know about the paint peeling. But now I really know how fragile it is. This Pacman was flawless out of the box. However, I friggin nicked the Control Panel with my fingernail while holding it and boom! There was a scratch on the edge! :lol: So.. yes, in that regard it felt bad man...

Also yes it was apparent to me the commonly stated issues with the LCD display. i.e. it's a horizontal LCD panel with bad viewing angles, made worse by flipping it vertically on its side. Looking straight on though.. it's fine. As far as durability, I wouldn't call these flimsy. They do feel sturdy "enough". But it was acknowledged in our family the little emulation rpi multicades we built ourselves in the past were obviously more durable.

As far as a grade, I wouldn't excitedly give them an excited & glowing recommendation, but I wouldn't say these are a disaster at all either. It's a "C+" on my scale. It's a few steps up above a toy, but many steps below an actual arcade unit. That said, there's no doubt it's fun. The kids really loved it. It looks nice. If the finish hadn't been so fragile that would have instantly raised it a grade. But I'm afraid to touch it much, and I think the kids are going to tear it up a before they the protector gets on. :lol: Whether something is worth it is subjective.. but to me, I'd rate the top end full retail price for these to value ~@ $200. Take that for what you will.

Next, I still have my 12-1 that I'm "getting" for Christmas.. so I'm looking forward to trying that out. :P

UO0EJLm.jpg

OM8kkNs.jpg

• Like 5

They do feel sturdy "enough". But it was acknowledged in our family the little emulation rpi multicades we built ourselves in the past were obviously more durable.

I've actually been quite surprised that most comments on the "sturdiness" factor of these things are along the lines of "it's not too bad," as I was fully expecting them to be flimsy as all fuck. Do you see any simple/obvious way to "fortify" these things with additional bracing? Like maybe glue in some blocks at corners, etc?

If anybody can answer, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the information... just curious, I guess. Maybe in the future if I can pick one up for $10 and I had a way to make it more sturdy...

Pre-christmas sale, all machines, except the Deluxe are on sale online at $199:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=arcade1up

later

Thanks for the heads up, would still like to find a SFII @ the $150 price if possible. At that price, I wouldn't mind adding it for at least the nostalgia.

On a side note: anyone who pre-ordered the new Atari VCS and completes the final shipping & payment confirmation by midnight on 12/31 is being entered to win a 12-in-1 cabinet.

arc1-cocktail.jpg

or if i strike it rich, i'll just get the official pixel bash cabaret or cocktail version.

i wonder if the arcade 1up cocktail versions will be cheap. i have 0 interest in the namco

bartop model, or the 1up bartops either. it all comes down to price.

later

Just to follow up on a slightly related, but somewhat offtopic post...

so, thinking about the arcade 1up cocktail cabinet for next year,

already found something almost in the same price range, [no monitor or sideart/games on it]

around $370

it's a shell, but it's sturdier, and the right form factor, but smaller than a 'real' one..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cocktail-Arcade-game-cabinet-kit-Jamma-and-MAME-Ready-LCD-Monitor-Ready-NEW/331342603479?epid=1724463297&hash=item4d258ee4d7:g:RpoAAOSwC~9b~IHC:rk:24:pf:0

s-l500.jpg

i'm seriously thinking about this instead of the 12-1, since i was going to gut that machine also.

yes, ergonomically, this might be a pain in the back/neck, but i think you could angle the monitor slightly,

and i don't care about player 2, so that could be a different set of controls, etc, etc.

later

Edited by negative1

I've actually been quite surprised that most comments on the "sturdiness" factor of these things are along the lines of "it's not too bad," as I was fully expecting them to be flimsy as all fuck. Do you see any simple/obvious way to "fortify" these things with additional bracing? Like maybe glue in some blocks at corners, etc?

If anybody can answer,

I'm n

ot sure what I'm going to do with the information... just curious, I guess. Maybe in the future if I can pick one up for $10 and I had a way to make it more sturdy...

They don't need any fortifying. They are sturdy enough for home use.

Having tons of fun with my retropie'd Galaga cab. Joust 2 today. I have it on the PS3, it's more fun on a cabinet in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.

Have you noticed any lag/screen tearing? I'm working on converting my brother's Galaga cab to Retropie, but I'm having a lot of performance issues in vertical mode. It's a 3B+ with heat sinks and a fan and it's having trouble running games with the screen rotated. Scrolling games have a lot of tearing and single screen games aren't very smooth - even Pac-Man.

I did some searching and found many others having this issue when running games vertically, but no solutions yet. Just curious how it's running for you.

I originally bought the Rampage unit and played the hell out of Joust. Still do. Some paint wear around the player 1 joystick but overall impressed at the price point.

Shortly thereafter I got the 12-1 machine. It’s wonderful as well. The spinner issue is real but you can enjoy Tempest without an upgrade. That said, I’d pay someone to install that weighted arcade quality spinner for me. If someone has a link to the best hack upgrade I’d try it.

I was so impressed by the fun of the two cabinets I just picked up Galaga today for $199. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and playing it soon.

These are toys. Structurally they are sound but not nearly as sturdy as old school arcade games. Since they are toys, they should be played for fun and not sport. That’s the best distinction I can make. If you enjoy playing these games, you can enjoy these units.

• Like 1

When I played the floor model at Wal-Mart, one thing I was able to give it credit was the sturdiness factor. It felt pretty solid actually.

A co-worker interested in the 1Up cabs who picked my brain sent me this link:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/retro-gaming.aspx

I had no Idea Micro Center carried something like this, let alone having a section dedicated to "Retro Gaming". The Westbury store is right by me so I'll have to check it out.

• Like 1

I had no Idea Micro Center carried something like this, let alone having a section dedicated to "Retro Gaming". The Westbury store is right by me so I'll have to check it out.

Micro Center has shrunk its game section to a tiny shelf or two, in favor of do-it-yourself kits like Arduino and Raspberry Pi. This is an awesome evolution of that idea. I'm going to want to check this out, I love Micro Center.

Micro Center has shrunk its game section to a tiny shelf or two, in favor of do-it-yourself kits like Arduino and Raspberry Pi. This is an awesome evolution of that idea. I'm going to want to check this out, I love Micro Center.

yeah, i've seen it. they're good if you want to grab some parts.

i don't think anyones going to buy the cabs though, looks pretty expensive,

and the graphics options are pretty garish.

later

$1k is still a bit steep, but if the price dropped to around $600 could be a good buy. It has basically everything you need to start.

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 1

$1k is still a bit steep, but if the price dropped to around $600 could be a good buy. It has basically everything you need to start.

If I didn't have the 1Ups already I might consider the standup, but I've gotta move first. The advantage of the 1Ups was their size and ease of relocating.

My poor Neo Geos and ST:SOS machines have been collecting dust in the garage for years as I just don't have the room indoors for them.

If you want to customize it yourself, and have an extra TV and computer around, the starting point is that : $550

0513956_847343.jpg

https://www.microcenter.com/product/513956/retro-arcade-2-player-stand-up-cabinet---unassembled

PRODUCT INFORMATION SKU

847343 Mfr Part# MCLGC-001

UPC GENERAL

Type

Stand Up Cabinet Kit

GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

Color

Black

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Width

32.00 in. (812.80 mm)

Depth

32.00 in. (812.80 mm)

Height

70.00 in. (1778.00 mm)

Weight

120.00 lbs. (54.43 kg)

PACKAGE CONTENTS

What's in the Box

All the wood and acrylic panels to assemble a Stand Up Arcade Cabinet.

========================================================================

So it's 120 pounds to start off, and add the weight of a TV, controls etc, it shouldn't

be more than 150 or so, so that shouldn't be a problem for 2 people.

If people are buying multiple arcade 1up's, then putting in 1 of these shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you're getting much higher quality too. And for people that were modding their machines,

they are putting in all new controls anyways.

so $550 + monitor + pi/computer + sound + controls (buttons/joysticks/wires)+ graphics (side/control panel/t molding) = final cost

i'm pretty sure that's under $1000 if you don't go overboard on everything. they even sell all the other

components separately there also.

later

Somebody posted this on Facebook after supposedly contacting Customer Service:

"Just got off the phone with customer service checking on parts I had ordered and was told 2 things.

1. New Policy, replacement parts will come with a shipping label. Place all bad parts into box replacements came in and return all bad parts via the UPS label provided. If old parts are not returned any New Replacement Parts will not be issued until the bad ones are received.

2. When I made the comment about cant wait until CES for new game announcements. He said yeah people are going to love it. Said he couldn't reveal titles but they have 27 new games for 2019. Plus the cocktail cabinets coming in fall 2019."

For my money, I can't see either Arcade1Up or retailers supporting that many SKUs, but who knows at this point? I think cocktail cabinets are a good lateral move, though.

• Like 1

I've got this bridge in Brooklyn for sale Bill... ;)

if they survive until next year,

they've already got half that many titles ready:

--

ms pac man, space invaders (2), final fight (4), mortal kombat (3) = so that's 10 already

for the other 17, they just need a few more cabinets, and maybe a multi one with 5-10 on it.

not that hard to imagine.

later