IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I've been visiting Arcades since roughly 81-82, and honestly, I never saw a Golden Tee IN an arcade.

They were always in random other places, as I mentioned Bars, Pool Halls, Bowling Alleys, Pizza joints, etc.

Also - I'm from just north of you in Boston. Possibly regional, but we're almost in the same region.

Agreed there. They were always quarter munchers in the front of shops etc for me too. Heck our mall had them out next to massage chairs for a while.

It's weird because I'm right between you two guys geographically. I saw them enough to assume they were common. I hated them then, because I'd often mistake them for a "real" arcade when I was walking up. Little Wheels didn't want to play no golf.

Golden Tee always seemed to be in pubs in the UK back in the 2000s. There was one in my local we played every lunch time, I still have the member card you used to swipe to record your scores for the monthly prizes etc. :)

Love that game, I have a TV Plug and Play one but it's pretty crap despite having the trackball. I actually bought an X-Arcade trackball to play Golden Tee with on my Pi, but haven't got round to setting it up yet.

I always saw Golden Tee cabs in sports bars. And people would hammer the hell out of that trackball! They'd take a couple of steps back and then lunge at it with half their body weight. They're going to have to strengthen the Arcade1up cabinet and include a trackball that can continue to spin with inertia if people have any expectation of bringing that kind of experience home.

But but frat boys rabble rabble...

The hate for golden tee amazes me. It's a blast with a few beers in you.

Look at it this way. Golden tee appeals to a much larger audience. People who aren't video game people still know golden tee and may very well buy one of these things. It could potentially be the best selling 1up cabinet to date. And the more they sell, the more likely it is you'll more obscure games released.

Look at it this way. Golden tee appeals to a much larger audience. People who aren't video game people still know golden tee and may very well buy one of these things. It could potentially be the best selling 1up cabinet to date. And the more they sell, the more likely it is you'll more obscure games released.

Disagreed - the likelihood is that they'll continue to release cabinets with games that are widely-recognisable since that's what's likely to sell. Games that are cheap to licence are that way for a reason: nobody knows what they are, and few people are going to want to take a $200-plus gamble on finding out if they like them or not.

Don't expect to see a ton of Namco or Nintendo titles in them, though. Namco already has their own licensors for home use, and Nintendo is unlikely to let a third party release their IP without 100% control over the process.

How do they know it's a happ and not a generic trackball?

If you click on the imgur link, it says happ on the trackball. I guess that it could be a clone that's stealing the name, but probably not. I'd bet more that happ made a cheaper one specifically for A1U

Edited by twalk

More images of the bartop units:

XxMdgwe.jpg

yeah, its galaga in a pac-man box:

YWe8kRE.jpg

Pac-Man and Pac & Pal

Centipede and Missile Command

Space Invaders Original and Space Invaders Color

Dig Dug and Dig Dug 2

Galaga and Galaxian

Ghost 'n Goblins and TBA

later

Edited by negative1

This is interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/ae13ja/golden_tee_uses_a_happ_trackball_also_has_lighted/

Lighted marquee and a happ trackball. Maybe they are learning...

Cool. but could also just be a proto and not the final product. Same for the "happ" trackball, if they haven't cloned one that size yet this was just used as a drop in.

Too bad they didn't go that size for Centipede and the 12-in-1, would be great for Missile Command.

I'd have to look at the file to know for sure and I don't have the Pi with me. I do remember on mine that the autostart.sh file had just one line of code in it. Insert --screenrotate 1 or --screenrotate 3 immediately right after emulationstation. Also make sure that there's a space between emulationstation and --screenrotate. By default I believe there is something commented out after emulationstation and if you put the --screenrotate after that, it won't do anything.

That worked beautifully. Seemed I didn't delete the #auto after the emulationstation. Thank you!!

Pac-Man and Pac & Pal

Centipede and Missile Command

Space Invaders Original and Space Invaders Color

Dig Dug and Dig Dug 2

Galaga and Galaxian

Ghost 'n Goblins and TBA

Interesting to see Pac & Pal and Dig Dug II in there - both are relatively obscure titles due to being Japan-only releases.

Slightly surprised that the unreleased Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp, which was intended to be the US version of Pac & Pal, wasn't used. I wonder if there wasn't a licensing consideration with the use of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters featured in the US version.

• Like 1

Interesting to see Pac & Pal and Dig Dug II in there - both are relatively obscure titles due to being Japan-only releases.

Slightly surprised that the unreleased Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp, which was intended to be the US version of Pac & Pal, wasn't used. I wonder if there wasn't a licensing consideration with the use of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon characters featured in the US version.

Dig Dug 2 was always a conversion. I looked to see if there was ever a

dedicated arcade cabinet for it, but never found signs of one, or pictures

or any kind of proof for it.

It's a cool but underrated game.

Too bad Q*bert didn't make it, that would have been cool.

later

But but frat boys rabble rabble...

The hate for golden tee amazes me. It's a blast with a few beers in you.

Britney Spears selling a ton of shit garbage records never lead to her label signing a ton of obscure "good" bands. That's not how this works.

• Like 1

Britney Spears selling a ton of shit garbage records never lead to her label signing a ton of obscure "good" bands. That's not how this works.

The other factor is that these aren't devices that have a steady stream of customers looking to buy them over the long term. Everyone who wants one will get one, sales will slow to a crawl, and the manufacturer will probably end up going out of business or moving on to something else.

This pattern is well-established, and it seems like every three to five years or so a new contender steps into the ring, has some short-term success, and folds. While I don't hope for this for the people behind the Arcade1up cabinets, it's difficult to see their prospects for long-term survival as being anything but not particularly great.

• Like 1

Actually, that's exactly how it works. The more they sell, the more they're going to release.

More of the mainstream pap, sure. More of the obscure stuff? I seriously doubt it. See also: AtGames' success with Atari Flashback and failure with ColecoVision Flashback and Intellivision Flashback. Yeah, they released some B-sides, but they bombed and probably won't be tried again.

Speaking of titles, wouldn't it be nice to see some software that hasn't been re-re-re-re-released a million times already? I get that the licenses for Atari, Capcom, Data East, and Midway are readily available, and the older games are easily emulated, but surely the people saying "aww yiss Mortal Kombat!" can play that series elsewhere?

Also, what do you think would be a fair price for the tabletop cabinet, the iCade-looking thing they call "Countercade?" Hundred bucks? For a single game?

• Like 1

Speaking of titles, wouldn't it be nice to see some software that hasn't been re-re-re-re-released a million times already?

This is something I see as being a real problem for all of these retrogaming devices - how many ways do you really need to be able to play <insert game here>?

It's become very much like the mobile phone market: no real innovation and lots of repackaging from year to year.

I get that the licenses for Atari, Capcom, Data East, and Midway are readily available, and the older games are easily emulated, but surely the people saying "aww yiss Mortal Kombat!" can play that series elsewhere?

Part of this, though, comes back to the companies relying on sure-fire sellers rather than interesting obscurities. Even people with no interest in video games know that Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Mortal Kombat were popular games. But pick something like Espial, or Terra Cresta, or Prop Cycle and John (or Jane) Q. Public will have no clue what it is they're looking at.

Also, what do you think would be a fair price for the tabletop cabinet, the iCade-looking thing they call "Countercade?" Hundred bucks? For a single game?

$79 to $99 depending on options, though I am basing this on the quality of materials and construction of the upright models that I've seen. Having said that, previous retailers of flat-pack cabinets (bar top, upright, etc.) were selling at considerably higher prices (such as this one), but those were made to a more robust standard.

And I'll again admit that I am completely not the target audience for this, so may be totally off-base re: pricing. But when I can pick up junk Megatouches in that price range (or lower) and come up with the same end result with minimal elbow grease... The value proposition is difficult for me to see.