IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I'm not dissing it per-se, but more saying the more general consensus is might as well just go the emulation route (with whatever form factor you want..arcade1up cab or otherwise) because it's just easier with more options (and games). Or, if they want "authentic" you can't beat just plugging a VCS into a CRT.

But again, it's a big world so anyone can and should do whatever project they want. :)

• Like 1

I'm not dissing it per-se, but more saying the more general consensus is might as well just go the emulation route (with whatever form factor you want..arcade1up cab or otherwise) because it's just easier with more options (and games). Or, if they want "authentic" you can't beat just plugging a VCS into a CRT.

But again, it's a big world so anyone can and should do whatever project they want. :)

Not to mention trying to play any 2600 game with funky flicker rates like Asteroids or Yars Revenge on an LCD using a real 2600 can be disastrous.

Asteroids on sale $150 at gamestop online, you can price match at target, etc.

https://www.gamestop.com/toys/arcade1up-asteroids/157867

later

didn't buy but with tax and shipping for me was about 175. Still pretty good for someone wanting to gut it I think.

I'm waiting on any more until they do a 4p one...

The marquee is neat....they should have blacked the edges of the plexi tho, but that is easy to fix if it bothers somebody.

Wish somebody just sold the marquee decals alone...I have plenty of plexi and all the tools to f with it.

there are tons of people selling just the custom marquees on online sites and ebay, heres one:

---------------

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Centipede-Asteroids-1Up-Marquee-For-Reproduction-Header-Backlit-Sign/163480136898?hash=item26102cecc2:m:mPI14SVwZ3XSg3s2mkov2Fw:rk:1:pf:0

there are at least 3 tutorials on youtube on how to make your own, around $30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Or8AL56klI&t=1170s

later

• Like 1

Using the Stock Pac-Man board, I've done the USB hack, and UART hack,

and am running tests on the MAME from Rampage v.101, almost all the

games run, you see some graphical glitches due to the keyboard mapping though.

--------

Detailed information here : https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a02870/hack_original_board_not_just_replace_w_pietc/

Gauntlet is missing a graphics layer, so that's why it runs through Retroarch.

Anyways, everything is running off a USB stick, mounted as drive.

I mapped some keys to a USB keyboard, and all joystick to the Pac-Man joystick,

and action to Player 1 start:

MAME functions work great

----------------------------

all audio mapping, volume works

video rotation works, scaling works

video features work - brightness, contrast, gamma

Savestates - Saving and Loading works

Dipswitches - works

Pause works

Some functions are persistent across reboots

Still testing - cheats [should work]

- analog controls [uSB mouse/trackball/spinner]

pac-modseg1-mp4-thumbs-2019-01-21-01-53-

later

Edited by negative1

this site has options for the control panel,

precut plexiglass,, t-molding, bat stick, buttons, etc:

https://www.diyretroarcade.com/index.php/arcade1up-birch-two-player-control-deck.html

the will have other templates at a future point.

later

So I went to look at that, but ended up with this:

main11.jpg

https://www.diyretroarcade.com/index.php/speaker-grill-panel-for-arcade1up-for-two-4-inch-speakers.html

For the price, totally worth the time it saves me.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but with that huge amount of customization you're probably at the point you can do just as fine with a sturdier custom shell rather than changing up the arcade1up stuff. :P

Huge amount? If what I'm doing is a "huge amount" of customization....man some folks online have a serious problem.

(Also...the shell is the sturdiest thing about these!!!! :grin: It's the guts that are the crap.)

If somebody starts selling IKEA style kits of just arcade cabs delivered to my door, 3/4 size or less so I can pick them up and move them....I'm all over it. Then I'll have to sell my triple-spoiler civ...I mean 1up arcade, so I can build my new ikea cabinet kit car. Have I continued the analogy correctly? I'll have like the Bricklin SV-1 of arcades? GULL WING DOORS &^$$@#s.

Huge amount? If what I'm doing is a "huge amount" of customization....man some folks online have a serious problem.

Well offline there's real life of course, and here's my stock Arcade1up (which I really like despite its shortfalls ), my IKEA style PI emu cab with car amp + stereo sound, Sanwa controls, lighted marquee, etc. which I worked pretty hard on.. and "real" arcade cocktail (unceremoniously being used as a barcade stand for the moment). So we got "real", Arcade1up, and custom multi-emu cab.. i.e. the three camps. So If you're talking about me, I'm the last person to have a problem with you doing your thang. I'm just saying man! :lol:

post-31-0-66662200-1548105960_thumb.jpg

(Also...the shell is the sturdiest thing about these!!!! :grin: It's the guts that are the crap.)

I would 100% say the melamine shell of the Ikea style barcade I ended up with, is waay sturdier (and consequently, heavier) than the Arcade1up shell. But that's not a good or bad thing, it's just the fact. However if you're looking for the form factor of the Arcade1up, then yeah I can see that being a good enough reason. There's all sorts of paths you can choose. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

Well offline there's real life of course, and here's my stock Arcade1up (which I really like despite its shortfalls ), my IKEA style PI emu cab with car amp + stereo sound, Sanwa controls, lighted marquee, etc. which I worked pretty hard on.. and "real" arcade cocktail (unceremoniously being used as a barcade stand for the moment). So we got "real", Arcade1up, and Custom cab.. i.e. the three camps. So If you're talking about me, I'm the last person to have a problem with you doing your thang. I'm just saying man! :lol:

I would 100% say the melamine shell of the Ikea style barcade I ended up with, is waay sturdier (and consequently, heavier) than the Arcade1up shell. But that's not a good or bad thing, it's just the fact. However if you're looking for the form factor of the Arcade1up, then yeah I can see that being a good enough reason. There's all sorts of paths you can choose. :)

Man....do the penny thing with the spinner. Totally worth it (I also think it's worth the 20 bucks and 10 minutes to replace the buttons in the 12-in-1, just makes it all around about 100% better...of course I HAD to anyway as my kids wrecked the fire button playing centipede after weekend one)

I believe you that the barcade is sturdier, I think those are normally made of 3/4 ply and not 1/2 MDF (What I THINK the 1ups are?). OTOH, I don't intend to use one as a jack stand in my basement. WTH are you DOING with these NE that they have to be so sturdy? :-D Again, the guts deserve the bad marks they got, they suck. The cabinets, short aesthetics (I won't argue a riser or all the screw holes are....pleasant to look at) are fine for every job they need to be.

I'm sure the barcade one is nice, looks like you did pretty good work. Those look like Happ buttons tho rite? Aren't Sanwas convex?

(That poor cocktail arcade....reduced to just being a table....you know you could have spent a lot less money and...just gotten a table right? :lol: )

Also..your offline is online to me. So....

There, we just entered the matrix.

• Like 1

Follow up to modding, testing Atari titles:

1) Using Stock Pac-Man board

2) Side-loading custom MAME from Rampage 105

==============================================

Allows these games:

-------------------

Tempest tubes (fanmade)

Vindicators Part 2

Warlords

Maze Invaders (Prototype)

Tetris

Gauntlet 2

Stereo sound downmixing to mono works, as heard in Gauntlet 2.

This is also another mod done to the board.

Games list:

-------------

ramp-list-mp4-snapshot-all.jpg

I've also tested the CHEAT.DAT zip file with Millipede, and it works,

so it should work with other games also.

millcheat-atarir.jpg

The clones of almost all the games work, along with many other revisions

of these roms.

I'm still working on proper mapping of the trackball and spinner games.

Thanks to BerryBerry for all his research and work on these.

later

Edited by negative1

Anyone try and of these giant all covering decal kits here yet for the 1ups? I have to admit I want to turn by Rampage into a 3 player Simpsons or TMNT. But I've laid vinyl before and I am looking at those side pieces like....woof. Ain't no way those go down straight and smooth easily. Maybe I am wrong?

Mine came in. Super easy to apply and the measurements are good. I put it on the backside of my kickplate so as to preserve the factory graphics. Looks great.

post-16879-0-51845300-1548203577_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 1