IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Arcade 1UP - Crystal Castles - Full game 3 Warps to End level 10-1 - 615,186

shorter version:

castle-1ups-mp4-snapshot-04-49-2019-02-0

castle-1ups-mp4-snapshot-05-05-2019-02-0

castle-1ups-mp4-snapshot-05-10-2019-02-0

Game : Crystal Castles

Settings : Default

Controller : Logitech Marble Trackball through USB Mod

Note : Used 3 game warps

Glitches in video due to stitching clips.

later

Edited by negative1

Groovy gamers spinner is now available for arcade 1up also:

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=412

TT2forA1UP.jpg

And now we bring our latest innovation in arcade-quality spinners to Arcade 1UP* owners who want the very best, a special version with our D.A.R.E.™ Technology. It is the only high-resolution, arcade-quality spinner package, which allows on-the-fly spinner resolution adjustment, either through a user-supplied toggle switch, or using our innovative Dial-A-Rez™ Technology. It's also simple to install, with the optional "screwdriver-free" mounting adapter, which fills that large hole in your panel, and looks great, even with a smaller, more true-to-arcade sized spinner knob.

Features:

Installs in your panel just like a standard arcade pushbutton! For those not wishing to fill the old spinner hole themselves (or drilling a new one), the optional self-centering, "screwdriver-free" mounting plate is recommended.

Native resolution of 1200 transitions per revolution, which provides for over 25 different resolution settings using our proprietary Dial-A-Rez™ Technology, to cover nearly any spinner or paddle game, including those demanding paddle-style games. The last setting made with the Dial-A-Rez feature is stored for use, even through power cycles.

Extensively tested, pre-programmed resolution settings for both Tempest and Major Havoc. These settings are the result of over 25 hours of playtesting and can be selected by grounding the appropriate pin on the interface, or through the use of a user-supplied DPST toggle switch. Comes ready to play with the Tempest setting selected by default.

Simple, color-coded 3-wire connection to the UART wires. Wire harness and wire nuts are included. No soldering required! Both the TurboTwist 2 spinner and your stock trackball will be functional with no need to swap wires. Tested for compatibility with both the 12-in-1 and Asteroids versions.

Designed with the future in mind. Our proprietary auto-sensing technology ensures lag-free performance, whether using the serial UART connection with the original hardware, or the on-board clock and data quadrature outputs with other hardware in the future. These outputs can even connect to our Opti-Wiz 3 for full USB compatibilty.

Can be used with or without an optional rotational energy storage cylinder. Gives you a choice of near-zero "moment of inertia" or prolonged spin! Note: The ESC geometry has been designed and extensively playtested to provide excellent performance across all gaming genres. It does not hamper control through the excessive moment-of-inertia requirements that are often associated with spinners claiming "long spin times."

Full DUAL sealed-ball bearing design for maximum shaft stability and provides wobble-free operation when a premium knob is used.

TurboTwist 2 spinner body is precision CNC machined from a single piece of aircraft quality aluminum.

Top surface mounted so height-adjustments are a thing of the past!

Enclosed industrial quality optical module protects high-tech components from dust and mishaps.

Standard 1/4" Alloy-steel shaft for the widest possible selection of spinner knobs.

Our new Stylish Red, shiny aluminum-shell, friction-fit (no holes) spinner knob is included free! (Note: this knob is not included when an upgrade knob is selected, as a discount is applied to those knobs)

Proudly designed and crafted in the USA.

later

• Like 2

The "groovy" spinner is $69.95 before shipping and adding fancy color treatment. Nice that it's offered, though.

Yes, good to have options. I'm holding out for the board and the spinner for the 12-in-1 that Glen from Glen's retro show is supposed to be getting. The spinner was supposed to come in under $50 but I don't think he's touched on how much the board the 12-in-1 needs to interface it will run.

We can also always wait for the 1Up replacement spinner - which they really should be giving out for free - comes out.

• Like 1

I've bought both the GGG TurboTwist and the Ultimarc Spin-Trak for different projects and they're very spendy for what they give you. IMO, at $70+, a good spinner is a luxury/indulgence in a home emulation rig, with arguably the worst bang-for-buck quotient of any of the generic control types from the classic era. I've spent a lot of time exploring with my spinner, trying to find some fun games to play in the mame catalog. What I've found is that there are a few dozen games available in MAME with spinner support, but lots of them are shovelware "brick breaker" copycat type games and/or very obscure and forgettable titles. My general feeling is that you have to REALLY enjoy Tempest and/or Arkanoid to make it worth the price tag. There are also some "deeper cuts" like Omega Race and Cosmic Chasm that are decent.

I've bought both the GGG TurboTwist and the Ultimarc Spin-Trak for different projects and they're very spendy for what they give you. IMO, at $70+, a good spinner is a luxury/indulgence in a home emulation rig, with arguably the worst bang-for-buck quotient of any of the generic control types from the classic era. I've spent a lot of time exploring with my spinner, trying to find some fun games to play in the mame catalog. What I've found is that there are a few dozen games available in MAME with spinner support, but lots of them are shovelware "brick breaker" copycat type games and/or very obscure and forgettable titles. My general feeling is that you have to REALLY enjoy Tempest and/or Arkanoid to make it worth the price tag. There are also some "deeper cuts" like Omega Race and Cosmic Chasm that are decent.

Yeah, A1U would have been better off making a deluxe $400 "spinner cab", with Tempest being the marquee game, with Tempest cab style side panels, 6-8 spinner games, and a good spinner. While that would have mixed manufacturers on the cab, it would have taken care of all of the decent to good spinner / (left/right only) roller games in one swoop with good results

@128Kgames: 2nd/3rd hand I heard that the A1U spinner will be a "professional" upgrade in their web store

Yeah, A1U would have been better off making a deluxe $400 "spinner cab", with Tempest being the marquee game, with Tempest cab style side panels, 6-8 spinner games, and a good spinner. While that would have mixed manufacturers on the cab, it would have taken care of all of the decent to good spinner / (left/right only) roller games in one swoop with good results

@128Kgames: 2nd/3rd hand I heard that the A1U spinner will be a "professional" upgrade in their web store

mixed manufactures would never work.

it would have to be all from one:

------------

atari

warlords

tempest

major havoc

*[blasteroids] -> uses 2

super breakout

or something like that.

later

mixed manufactures would never work.

it would have to be all from one:

------------

atari

warlords

tempest

major havoc

*[blasteroids] -> uses 2

super breakout

or something like that.

later

Mixed manufacturers is a matter of licensing. Licensing is mostly an issue of money. While it's not common, things like that have been worked out before

Yes, good to have options. I'm holding out for the board and the spinner for the 12-in-1 that Glen from Glen's retro show is supposed to be getting. The spinner was supposed to come in under $50 but I don't think he's touched on how much the board the 12-in-1 needs to interface it will run.

We can also always wait for the 1Up replacement spinner - which they really should be giving out for free - comes out.

I gave this one a try. I was waiting for the one Glen is making but when I reached out to Ultimarc about it they said they were not working with Glen on anything. Maybe I reached out to the wrong place or maybe its going to be vaporware? Regardless, I decided to give the groovy one a try. Edited by Toaddio

I gave this one a try. I was waiting for the one Glen is making but when I reached out to Ultimarc about it they said they were not working with Glen on anything. Maybe I reached out to the wrong place or maybe its going to be vaporware? Regardless, I decided to give the groovy one a try.

See post # 1955, it's looking good as far as I'm concerned.

Just wanted to confirm that the GroovyGameGear spinner works quite nicely out of the box as advertised on the A1UP 12-in-1. Just need to splice in 3 wires into the UART connection. The SpinTrak solution was working pretty decently but wasn't perfect as it was very difficult to get a perfect manual masking of the encoder disk. Even though the eventual other spinner solutions in the pipeline may come in cheaper, I'm pleased to have grabbed the very nice GGG spinner.

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 1

You can also use a spinner for racing games.

You can also use a spinner for racing games.

You can, and that is one of the things I used to justify the expense. But it only really works serviceably on games that used free-spinning steering wheels (e.g. Pole Position, Sprint). Games that used non-free-spinning wheels (e.g. Outrun and pretty much everything after) don't work very well at all. YMMV, but I would never recommend a spinner to somebody for use in driving games. I'd be more inclined to recommend a trackball which does just as good a job on Pole Position but also enables you to play lots of other native trackball games that are actually fun.

Just wanted to confirm that the GroovyGameGear spinner works quite nicely out of the box as advertised on the A1UP 12-in-1. Just need to splice in 3 wires into the UART connection. The SpinTrak solution was working pretty decently but wasn't perfect as it was very difficult to get a perfect manual masking of the encoder disk. Even though the eventual other spinner solutions in the pipeline may come in cheaper, I'm pleased to have grabbed the very nice GGG spinner.

Any chance you’d share a photo of your splicing? I don’t want to screw it up.

Any chance you’d share a photo of your splicing? I don’t want to screw it up.

Here you go. As the instructions say, leave the existing A1UP wiring and board for their spinner attached, just tuck it out of the way. The GGG UART harness off their board has Red/Yellow/Black wires that aligned with the the Red/Yellow/Black wires of the existing UART connection. I spliced mine between where the A1UP wiring comes from the UART connector to the A1UP controller board and where those wires go into the trackball (might be tough to make that out in the pictures). Neater folks than I will not use black tape on the 3 splices, but that's all I had and I was in a rush to get it working. The GGG kit comes with twist wire connectors but I still opted for the black tape. Pictures also show that if you use the storage cylinder, you'll have to cut a hole in the plastic A1UP covering the wiring as the cylinder extends such that it wont fit. I know the blue metallic doesn't match; I probably should have gone with the silver (and really wish they had red metallic); maybe I should swap out the red buttons and get some blue ones. There are options on the GGG board to jumper different sensitivities and also to add a switch to take advantage of the DIal-a-Rez selection functionality.

At the end of the day though, it works great without issue.

post-21248-0-77223400-1550027084_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-45249700-1550027095_thumb.jpg

post-21248-0-20935100-1550027108_thumb.jpg

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 3