IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

17 minutes ago, negative1 said:

"And those TMNT units, which are exclusive to Walmart for now, will only be available in limited quantities, Bachrach warned."

Sure they're limited, just like the whole wave 1 cabinets were...

I'd love to get the Turtles one but the more I think on it, my wife despite it being my room would get on my case because of the size of it, and really, without losing something making room for it would be awful.  Sadly if what was said about them is true being exclusive to a store, once that store has got their fill these things given how they get beat up will likely go up in price if you want one that isn't roughed up.  Unlike the unique yoke experience star wars has, TMNT might as well just use a custom build of mame or whatever.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, 128Kgames said:

"And those TMNT units, which are exclusive to Walmart for now, will only be available in limited quantities, Bachrach warned."

Sure they're limited, just like the whole wave 1 cabinets were...

To quote Seinfeld: "Yeah, they're limited to as many as they can sell."

• Haha 1

I'd hardly call that full size. Man, I'd appreciate them more if they made at least one version that was build out of decent materials in at least a cabaret style without the flimsy teeny profiles. I know they gotta keep the box sizes down, but a lot of folks have an eye for quality, and these ain't it. 

That's probably how they should have done Pac-Man in the first place. Too bad.  Now we just have to see what their next "iteration" is with the remaining games like Ms/Jr./Super. 

re: TMNT games,  I'm surprised so many are into those cabs. It's never been a game that holds up to multiple plays.. you button mash through it once and you've pretty much had your fill. :lol: T

19 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Another limited edition: pac-man with 4 games (pac-man plus, pacmania, pac n pal)
with light up marquee

Here's the link: https://www.hsn.com/products/arcade1up-pacman-full-size-5-ft-arcade-machine-and-rise/9327002?query=9327002&isSuggested=true

later

Cool, but for $349 I think the Costco cab is a better buy, even with only 2 games.  My money is on this and the Costco PCBA being the same, so it might be possible to flash the Costco board with the extra games (provided someone gets a backup of the HSN board).

10 hours ago, NE146 said:

That's probably how they should have done Pac-Man in the first place. Too bad.  Now we just have to see what their next "iteration" is with the remaining games like Ms/Jr./Super. 

re: TMNT games,  I'm surprised so many are into those cabs. It's never been a game that holds up to multiple plays.. you button mash through it once and you've pretty much had your fill. :lol: T

Ms Pac-man and Junior will never come out due to licensing problems and issues.

later

On 11/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, JBerel said:

I'd hardly call that full size. Man, I'd appreciate them more if they made at least one version that was build out of decent materials in at least a cabaret style without the flimsy teeny profiles. I know they gotta keep the box sizes down, but a lot of folks have an eye for quality, and these ain't it. 

I used to be 100% with you on this sentiment. Now that I own two of them, I can tell you that while -sure- they aren't construction grade 3/4" plywood - they're just fine as is. Especially if you get them discounted on close out. 

you can easily upgrade the controls if you don't like them for really good quality on the cheap too. 

It's the flimsy particle board that gets me. It doesn't seem to even be up to the standard of typical particle board entertainment centers that don't get that kind of active use. It's like 1/2" particle board that you could snap with your bare hands.  Most low end pre-fab stuff is 5/8" particle board. If they used 5/8" Mdf it would stand up to some punishment. I know their margins depend on the lighter weight and smaller size though. It's probably intentional to be flimsy too so there's not much of a used market for them. I don't fault them for the models they're making, it just seems strange they don't have larger versions at a commensurate price to exploit the licenses. They could make a full size Star Wars cabinet, and I bet that would sell tons @ $750-$1000 or so.

5 hours ago, JBerel said:

It's the flimsy particle board that gets me. It doesn't seem to even be up to the standard of typical particle board entertainment centers that don't get that kind of active use. It's like 1/2" particle board that you could snap with your bare hands.  Most low end pre-fab stuff is 5/8" particle board. If they used 5/8" Mdf it would stand up to some punishment. I know their margins depend on the lighter weight and smaller size though. It's probably intentional to be flimsy too so there's not much of a used market for them. I don't fault them for the models they're making, it just seems strange they don't have larger versions at a commensurate price to exploit the licenses. They could make a full size Star Wars cabinet, and I bet that would sell tons @ $750-$1000 or so.

They're taking a loss already on the stores selling these things off for $75 because they can't move the inventory. "Tons" is an overstatement. There's a niche market there, sure. But that's a small window - up the price to $1000 - you're gonna sell a fairly small number of these.

As to the quality - like I said - for what it is, it's fine. Sure, if your tossing the thing around like the Samsonite Commercial gorilla, or if you're trying to use one of them as a ladder and stand on it - you're probably going to break it. But under *normal* arcade game use, the cabinet parts themselves will be just fine. If your gaming enthusiasm is making you violently toss these things around to the point where they break, that's not normal use. That's abuse.

3 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

They're taking a loss already on the stores selling these things off for $75 because they can't move the inventory. "Tons" is an overstatement. There's a niche market there, sure. But that's a small window - up the price to $1000 - you're gonna sell a fairly small number of these.

As to the quality - like I said - for what it is, it's fine. Sure, if your tossing the thing around like the Samsonite Commercial gorilla, or if you're trying to use one of them as a ladder and stand on it - you're probably going to break it. But under *normal* arcade game use, the cabinet parts themselves will be just fine. If your gaming enthusiasm is making you violently toss these things around to the point where they break, that's not normal use. That's abuse.

I have 5 of these things (one modded) and when people come over to see them they never really comment negatively about... really anything about it. I even play Tempest pretty regularly without having updated the spinner. And some of the buttons feel a little soft, but it hasn't actually been enough of a problem for me to do anything so rash as to replace them with normal arcade buttons that I ALREADY HAVE SITTING IN A BOX IN THE SAME ROOM!

I do need to add a pot so I can turn the sound down on the Space Invaders cabinet though.

Now, it does help that with the exception of Star Wars, I haven't paid pull price for any of them, and I think there were issues with their first run cabs that would make me say they they might not be worth the full price, but the more recent cabs seem to be much better all around, so it's easier to say that they're worth it.

As far as the physical sturdiness of the cabinets themselves, they seem perfectly fine. And I think they settled on a good design, I mean there are more than a few people that have made faithful copies of the cabinet design for their own builds. So they definitely did something right. These people could have more or less just as easily replicated a full-size cabinet build, but they didn't make a cab until the A1Up form factor existed (some may have made bartops, but I rarely see people that had made a full sized cabinet).

• Like 1

Not making them full size is purposeful so you can move them around easily.  They are intended to be a home item that can be moved to different rooms as needed.  The risers allow you to raise them up to be near full arcade cabinet height.

As for the weight you have to keep in mind people will be moving these from room to room depending on use and so the lighter plywood helps.  And also they are still a bit heavy when all put together!  The only used market I've seen on ebay has been fully put together units for pick up only.  The boxes are also very heavy.  Can you imagine how heavy the boxes would be if they were entertainment center board quality in there?

I think what they did was a good compromise and gives you an arcade style feel in the home.

13 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Looks like arcade 1up will have some karate champ cabinets,

and then release the burgertime later on (it might be an exclusive)

they both contain the same games:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets/products/karate-champ

later

It's a mistake, BurgerTime is the correct cab.  They're supposed to correct it shortly.

19 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Yeah, here's to hoping it's a mistake. I would be all over a Burger Time cab, Karate Champ not so much. It might be the same 4 games but in this case, and for me anyway, looks matter.

When they initially announced it it was a Karate Champ cabinet, but we've been told it was changed to a Burger Time cab. Who knows what will end up actually happening though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, negative1 said:

Looks like arcade 1up will have some karate champ cabinets,

and then release the burgertime later on (it might be an exclusive)

they both contain the same games:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets/products/karate-champ

later

Really weird having a Burger Time cabinet with four joysticks. A1U really should've bundled some dual-joystick games together in one cab:

Karate Champ

Robotron2084

Smash TV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teh_lurv said:

Really weird having a Burger Time cabinet with four joysticks. A1U really should've bundled some dual-joystick games together in one cab:

Karate Champ

Robotron2084

Smash TV

Never going to happen. They don't mixed publishers, so very unlikely for that to happen.

Now a williams cabinet. Yes.

later