IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

I'll be interested to hear people's hands on impressions with the wallcades. It looks a little cramped to me, like the screen is gonna be too close to my face. But I can understand the space-saving idea of it, too. You'd just need to really take seriously the task of anchoring it securely.

I went to both Costco and Sams Club over the weekend. They each had the cocktail Pac-Man, however obviously the Costco one is better as it had Galaga and Dig-Dug as well. 

I don't know if there's a "screen flip" feature on these but if not, it was funny because whoever built the floor model at Costco put the monitor in reversed, so the game played upside down no matter if you were player 1 or 2 :lol:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, NE146 said:

I went to both Costco and Sams Club over the weekend. They each had the cocktail Pac-Man, however obviously the Costco one is better as it had Galaga and Dig-Dug as well. 

I don't know if there's a "screen flip" feature on these but if not, it was funny because whoever built the floor model at Costco put the monitor in reversed, so the game played upside down no matter if you were player 1 or 2 :lol:

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."

• Like 1

It seems the latest cabs, starting with Marvel and TMNT, have an "upgraded monitor." It's made by BOE and the model number is DV170YGZ-N10. On paper it has slightly better viewing angles than the old monitors, and in reviews it seems to have better color and black levels. I bought one on ebay for $70 to swap into my Galaga retropie cab, we will see how it works.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like Cocktail / Tabletop versions; don't want to have to lean over and look down.  It's strange to me that it seems like the Cocktail ones are showing up with many more games; i.e. the Costco Pacman with Galaga and Dig Dug, the Street Fighter tabletop with SFII, Final Fight, Darkstalkers, Commando.  But perhaps I shouldn't judge too much as none of them are probably for me anyways; I am thinking that in addition to the Star Wars game I have on the way, I am going to have to get a custom Mamecab unit for all my crazy favorites.  The day that Arcade 1up or really anyone else releases a cab with Crossbow, Ninja Baseball Batman, Alien vs Predator, 10 Yard Fight, Gaia Warriors, Avengers in Galactic Storm, Elevator Action, Zoo Keeper, Vulgus, Sunset Riders, the Simpsons, Star Fire, and Mania Challenge, well, sign me up.  :P

7 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like Cocktail / Tabletop versions; don't want to have to lean over and look down.  It's strange to me that it seems like the Cocktail ones are showing up with many more games; i.e. the Costco Pacman with Galaga and Dig Dug, the Street Fighter tabletop with SFII, Final Fight, Darkstalkers, Commando.  But perhaps I shouldn't judge too much as none of them are probably for me anyways; I am thinking that in addition to the Star Wars game I have on the way, I am going to have to get a custom Mamecab unit for all my crazy favorites.  The day that Arcade 1up or really anyone else releases a cab with Crossbow, Ninja Baseball Batman, Alien vs Predator, 10 Yard Fight, Gaia Warriors, Avengers in Galactic Storm, Elevator Action, Zoo Keeper, Vulgus, Sunset Riders, the Simpsons, Star Fire, and Mania Challenge, well, sign me up.  :P

Look into the Atgames Arcade legends, you can just add all those to the main unit, and other games you like.

later

I feel the ATGames Legends has potential, but suffers from a identity crisis. Had they just set out to make a great, authentic looking MAME machine I would be all over it. But the widescreen monitor, lackluster cab design, and ugly artwork make it less appealing at $599. Knock a hundred bucks off, put in a proper 4:3 screen, and give the option for other artwork wraps, and I'm there. Also, keep all the console games, they feel shoehorned in and there's no point in playing these on an arcade cab. I know, I want it all. :)

10 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

It's strange to me that it seems like the Cocktail ones are showing up with many more games; i.e. the Costco Pacman with Galaga and Dig Dug, the Street Fighter tabletop with SFII, Final Fight, Darkstalkers, Commando.

The version at Costco is no different than anywhere else, only the Sam's Club version is with 2 games less.

I understand them maxing out the game count- they need a way to draw people to the cocktail cabs which are a tough sell.

They have a larger footprint, taking up more space, and traditionally you're going to sit at them which means you need chairs, stools etc.

So possibly another expense for people as opposed to the vertical cabs.

Pack the cocktail with 8 games- add games not offered on their other cabs- now you pique people's interest.

Also, the AtGames cab at Sam's is only $499, and has bonus games.  Same 16:9 monitor though...

2 hours ago, Vrock said:

I feel the ATGames Legends has potential, but suffers from a identity crisis. Had they just set out to make a great, authentic looking MAME machine I would be all over it. But the widescreen monitor, lackluster cab design, and ugly artwork make it less appealing at $599. Knock a hundred bucks off, put in a proper 4:3 screen, and give the option for other artwork wraps, and I'm there. Also, keep all the console games, they feel shoehorned in and there's no point in playing these on an arcade cab. I know, I want it all. :)

I'm biased of course, but the only advantage the A1U cabinets have at this point is with artwork and monitor orientation for select games. Otherwise, our Legends Ultimate blows them away in every other category, and you only need one. The connectivity and laundry list of features that keeps getting added to are genuine game changers in the category. 

Different strokes for different folks, Bill.  Pitting one against the other isn't the way to go in my book.  They are two different types of systems appealing to different types of people.  I personally like the dedicated cabs over the muli-system.  I would have picked up an Arcade Legends cab years ago if that's what I wanted, but it's not.  And your AtGames cabs are trying to do too many things, and that never ends well.  Better to point out what makes your system different and unique than trying to 1Up the competition.  

9 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Different strokes for different folks, Bill.  Pitting one against the other isn't the way to go in my book.  They are two different types of systems appealing to different types of people.  I personally like the dedicated cabs over the muli-system.  I would have picked up an Arcade Legends cab years ago if that's what I wanted, but it's not.  And your AtGames cabs are trying to do too many things, and that never ends well.  Better to point out what makes your system different and unique than trying to 1Up the competition.  

Oh, absolutely, and competition is great. It happened in the home arcade space and it will soon be happening in the home pinball space. We'll just agree to disagree on the "trying to do too many things, and that never ends well" concept. As for "what makes your system different and unique," well, that's a long list.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'm biased of course, but the only advantage the A1U cabinets have at this point is with artwork and monitor orientation for select games. Otherwise, our Legends Ultimate blows them away in every other category, and you only need one. The connectivity and laundry list of features that keeps getting added to are genuine game changers in the category. 

I also am biased, but two words In A1UP's favour: flight yoke. ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeffVav said:

I also am biased, but two words In A1UP's favour: flight yoke. ;)

Yes, that is neat and your emulation decisions to make it more arcade accurate were superb.

There will be add-ons for the Legends Ultimate too, but the third party Tron stick and flight yoke are yet to be released.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vrock said:

It's for a completely different market as Bill said. If you want games that will never be released on Arcade 1up you will be upgrading and modding it anyways.

Here, you save the cost of all those upgrades (trackballs, spinners). 

As far as the artwork goes, you can get your own. The screen on the Atgames legend is better than the A1UP also.

So, what advantage does the A1up have over it. Nothing. If you want a dedicated machine, with artwork, fine, but that doesn't really mean much

when you're playing games.

The cost difference easily makes up for all the money you would be spending on the A1up to get it anywhere near the ability to play the games

you actually want, with the proper controllers (exceptions - tron joystick, and atari flight yoke).

later

I do have to agree that in my opinion the ONE thing that brings the Atgames unit down is the artwork/aesthetics of the cabinet. When turned off, it's not exactly the nicest thing to look at. :lol:   

But other than that yeah if I hadn't already built my own emulation cab, it's something I'd have totally been interested in. I'd still like to try a display unit out just to see.

24 minutes ago, negative1 said:

The screen on the Atgames legend is better than the A1UP also.

later

Based on what?  I understood it's the same brand of monitor in the current 1Up cabs (Marvel / Ninja Turtles).  The specs are better?  I haven't seen a model comparison yet.

8 minutes ago, 128Kgames said:

Based on what?  I understood it's the same brand of monitor in the current 1Up cabs (Marvel / Ninja Turtles).  The specs are better?  I haven't seen a model comparison yet.

I don't know what's in the newest A1U cabinets. In the Legends Ultimate, it's a 24" 1080p 60hz monitor.