IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Yes, the Mortal Kombat II unit is $199 currently at Walmart.  Very tempting, though I'd want to and need to get a riser to go with it...

Of course, if it had MK9 I would be in heaven but obviously that's a whole different animal :)

This is under serious consideration for me, to go alongside the Star Wars cab my GF got me on Black Friday sale...

Also just got to throw this out there in case anyone can in any way ever make this happen....slim chance I know but...

will someone like Arcade1up PLEASE make a Light Gun / House of the Dead cab??!??!?  I know that HOTD and stuff like Virtua Cop would require beefier hardware to run than these cabs have been using, but I know I would be willing to pay a SIGNIFICANT amount more than the current line go for to have say, even just a great HOTD cab.  Much less if they threw in HOTD 2, 3, 4, Overkill, Virtua Cop / 2 / 3, CarnEvil, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Confidential Mission, Crossbow (lol), Area 51.... Or seriously, just HOTD with great light guns and cool original side art?  I'd drop $799 easily if this was available, maybe more if you pressed me.  And would DIE for some of the others, especially Virtua Cop 3 (since I've never seen one or gotten to play it and LOVE Virtua Cop) and Confidential Mission (love the game, played the arcade once, have the DC version but the light guns are meh on DC).

Please please make it happen!  Yours truly, Light Gun Game fan who misses his favorites.

Crossbow true arcade.jpg

Confidential Mission.jpg

HOTD Arcade.png

1 hour ago, Loafer said:

Gotta think after doing the trackball games and now a yoke game, who wants to wager there's a driving game coming soon.  Outrun would be awesome along with other 270 games or even pole position (which with the 360 wheel could do the sprint games too)

If they can do a decent budget wheel, but a good budget wheel, then maybe they'd have something.  I know a lot of people didn't think their Star Wars yoke was going to happen let alone work, and even though its a plastic copy of the aftermarket one from what I've read from people they seem to like it and find it pretty darn good. 

Thing is I don't know anyone who's made an aftermarket reproduction wheel or had the need to do so, so I don't know where they would go for that.  And in house - well, let's just hope the same guy that worked on the original "spinner" isn't involved in that project. 

15 hours ago, Ramses said:

Does anyone know the control panel dimensions for the countercades? Particularly the depth and the height from the bottom of the cab. I'm trying to figure out if Happ style buttons will fit and if a JLW joystick would be too big.

They are 18.5 inches high, so looking at it I expect you have about 5" of space in there.

Did one final upgrade to my Galaga Retropie cab today - added a Mausberry circuit. Works perfect!

Previously I was using the Reddit/Icculus GPIO A1up power switch hack, which works, but if there is a dip or surge in power along the outlet your cab is plugged into, the cab would randomly turn on by itself. Less than ideal. The Mausberry circuit fixes that permanently, and is simple to install. Requires a tiny bit of soldering, but it's totally worth it. 

only thing that is a pain is that the cables that come with it to hook it up to GPIO pins 23 & 24 are too short if you use a mostly enclosed Pi case, like the flirc one that I use. I had to extend the cables a bit by hacking on it the connector cables from the shitty A1up stock buttons, because they have a proper jumper connector on the other end. 

now I don't have to worry about ghosts turning on my cab randomly!

4 hours ago, Vrock said:

Interesting. I have my Pi, amp, and monitor cable plugged into a power strip, and that plugged into the wall. I just flip the switch on the power strip after shutting down the system through emulation station.

Yeah - that's not a clean shutdown for the Pi OS, and can eventually cause corruption or damage to the file system on the SD card.

15 hours ago, Vrock said:

Pretty sure it is a clean shutdown when you shutdown via emulation station and then power off. Been doing it for the better part of a year with no issues.

Yes, but that takes two steps. Shutdown vía ES, then power off at the strip. This does it in one step. It sends a proper shutdown signal to the Pi then powers it off when you flip the switch. And it allows you to use the original A1up power switch without modification to do both steps in one switching.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Yes, but that takes two steps. Shutdown vía ES, then power off at the strip. This does it in one step. It sends a proper shutdown signal to the Pi then powers it off when you flip the switch. And it allows you to use the original A1up power switch without modification to do both steps in one switching.

Being able to use the power switch on the deck is a nice feature.

I replaced my deck with this one: https://www.diyretroarcade.com/index.php/skinned-galaga-replacement-60-in-1-control-deck-for-arcade1up-with-trackball-mount.html

Not exactly cheap but it's well made (solid wood and graphics that won't wear away), plus it saved me the hassle of drilling out a hole for a trackball.

Edited by Vrock

1 hour ago, Vrock said:

Being able to use the power switch on the deck is a nice feature.

I replaced my deck with this one: https://www.diyretroarcade.com/index.php/skinned-galaga-replacement-60-in-1-control-deck-for-arcade1up-with-trackball-mount.html

Not exactly cheap but it's well made (solid wood and graphics that won't wear away), plus it saved me the hassle of drilling out a hole for a trackball.

That's a pretty sweet option too. I'm happy with mine, but hindsight tells me that one is better.

I have two of these, and the quality has continually gotten better.  I held off for a long time because of no dip switch settings, and although I did break down and ended up buying a TMNT, which lacks them, I was pleasantly surprised with Star Wars having the full selection of dips for all 3 games. IMO it is their best release to date. 

The Burgertime one looks interesting, but I think going forward, dip switches are going to be a non negotiable for me. I understand they were considering doing X-Men too, which I think I would also get.  Just wish we'd see upgraded versions of some of the older cabs.  I wanted to get Galaga, an early release, but not just with Galaga + Galaxian.  Wish they'd rerelease it with new firmware and maybe make it a 4 in 1 with Galaga, Galaxian, Gaplus and Galaga 88. 

This thing is legit! Very well done controls and visuals. The vector graphics look quite nice. This is what the Asteroids cab should have looked like!

I had some dust behind the screen protector, and one of the screw holes for the control deck took some effort to get things lined up. Star Wars and Return of the Jedi play just like I remember. Never played Empire but ran through it and I can see why it wasn't too popular back in the day.

All and all, quite happy! :)

• Like 2