IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

will be interesting to see how it works out. it is confirmed though.

later

The thing with online is the actual connectivity of getting the controls shared between two computers - not that big of a deal. But logistics of friends lists, matchmaking and voice chat definitely seem like something A1Up might not get right on their first try. (I mean, Nintendo can't get it right...)

2 hours ago, qrysdonnell said:

The thing with online is the actual connectivity of getting the controls shared between two computers - not that big of a deal. But logistics of friends lists, matchmaking and voice chat definitely seem like something A1Up might not get right on their first try. (I mean, Nintendo can't get it right...)

nintendo is a terrible example, as they've never gotten it right.

later

I'm not a Nintendo fan and I'm not defending them, but from my perspective online functionality has not been something Nintendo has wanted to do. They've only reluctantly implemented the few features that they have already. They don't want to make it easy for strangers to voice chat. Obviously Microsoft has gone in the opposite direction and has a really robust online platform, but with that has come ease of access for bad actors who just want to grief, engage in abusive behaviors, even attempts at phishing. Tastemakers' target audience is probably generally older than that of these major consoles' audiences, though. I'm not sure how much of a system needs to be built out. It just needs to be easier than manually poking around in your network settings. It could be good enough to be similar to Nintendo's friend codes, and leave any voice chat to the players' smartphones.

• Like 4

You got that right, Nintendo may have in Japan alone of the known bigger players pioneered some online stuff with their FC modem, then the Bandai Satelliview, but it really wasn't until they got forced into it in the 00s and since they've taken it online and it was a lot of corporate third party arm twisting most likely along with media trolls and gamers too.  From their perspective, everything their US based next door neighbor has created is anti-what they care for.  Bad actors, trolls, stalkers, harassment, colorful metaphors, video abuse, you name it -- so Nintendo limits it in the past, and now they shove it off to using third party parts (phone/tablet) app instead so they're not help liable for wankers being wankers and they can keep a cleaner image and I really can't blame them.  The trash you find unfiltered on social media and then on xbl more than the others is plenty enough reason to want to guard your base form losers.

For all we know Tastemaskers may just go the basic route, if they're talking score sharing, that may literally be it.  Bunnyboy over at RetroUSB before NintendoAge was bought and sneakily shut down had created this Scoreboard feature for his FPGA NES console the AVS.  You could run up a score, it would legitimize that by verifying and then having you share it online within the gaming community for high score tables.  IT could be as something really as basic as some minor code and a few bucks worth of parts just to have people compete and without trolls.  Or they could go the whole route of a lobby and either censor or let the human garbage in too, maybe something in the middle like all those EA Sports and Golden Tee Golf games that are jacked into the internet and transmit scores to a hub for competing and perhaps even winning prizes.

While the cabinet is cool, Burgertime was one of my least favorite games of the 80s. The music drives me nuts to this day.

Looking at the Frogger cabinet I wonder if we will see other Konami games. A Contra/Super Contra/Top Gunner cabinet, for example might be cool.

Also from Capcom, a 194x cabinet would be amazing. 1942, 1943, 1941, and 19XX in one would cover it. 1944 is horizontal and on the Final Fight cab already.

I do love me some vertical arcade games.

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Vrock said:

While the cabinet is cool, Burgertime was one of my least favorite games of the 80s. The music drives me nuts to this day.

Looking at the Frogger cabinet I wonder if we will see other Konami games. A Contra/Super Contra/Top Gunner cabinet, for example might be cool.

Also from Capcom, a 194x cabinet would be amazing. 1942, 1943, 1941, and 19XX in one would cover it. 1944 is horizontal and on the Final Fight cab already.

I do love me some vertical arcade games.

I like but don't love Burgertime; I do love the cabinet design, and am a big Karate Champ fan...but this one I will be passing on.

The Frogger cab is a temptation, mostly since it has Time Pilot and Time Pilot 84.  And I do enjoy Frogger too.  Good set of games, this is a solid entry IMO.

Oh geez.. Now I'm REALLY glad I didn't buy it. I was *this* close to pulling the trigger a few weeks back. I would have been pissed if I got it home, put it all together and found out the hard way that it didn't use the original arcade soundtrack.

The soundtracks in late '80s/early '90s games like TMNT and Turtles in Time are essential to the experience. They are great soundtracks that are more than simple background noise.

Edited by Austin

30 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Actually, it's up to the parent company supplying the assets.

So whatever they have on hand, is what they give out.

Most people don't know or care about those details, since they have no impact on gameplay.

later

In 1Ups case they stated they could not come to an agreement to include the original theme song, recorded and performed by none other than Chuck Lorre.

Winning!