IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

21 minutes ago, Vrock said:

The Pac-Man 40th looks great. Galaxian and Ms. Pacman are missing though. How hard can it be to get Ms. Pacman on these machines?

There's a whole rights quagmire surrounding Ms. Pac-Man because it wasn't fully developed by Namco and AtGames recently got involved in the mess. There's no reason to expect it to be available to Arcade1Up any time soon. That's about as short of an explanation as I can get!

9 hours ago, qrysdonnell said:

There's a whole rights quagmire surrounding Ms. Pac-Man because it wasn't fully developed by Namco and AtGames recently got involved in the mess. There's no reason to expect it to be available to Arcade1Up any time soon. That's about as short of an explanation as I can get!

Or I would just LOVE a Crazy Otto game, but...same problem :)

And back to @Vrock's mention, I have a soft spot for Galaxian that Galaga doesn't completely fill.  Would have been nice of them to include Galaxian here as well.

And all that said, I LOVE the cab design, and this one is in serious consideration for me.  But I am basically out of disposable income and space, so....ugh, going to be a toughie

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an Asteroids cab on clearance. Had to have Arcade1up send me a new bezel because original was scratched, and they sent me the Costco Asteroids Deluxe bezel...whatever. I replaced the awful spinner with a second joystick, added two more buttons s, and Pi'd it. It works great as a two player machine for beat em ups like Golden Axe, or as a dual stick shooter with Black Widow and Robotron 2084. As I preserved the original button layout, I can still play Asteroids as intended and it looks miles better than the Arcade1up version.

For adding the second joystick on the right, the predrilled hole for the spinner is used. The hole is exactly 1.75" in diameter. I plugged it with a black plastic hole plug and drilled out the center of the plug for a joystick hole. Looks decent enough.

20200313_091556.jpg

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Vrock said:

Picked up an Asteroids cab on clearance. Had to have Arcade1up send me a new bezel because original was scratched, and they sent me the Costco Asteroids Deluxe bezel...whatever. I replaced the awful spinner with a second joystick, added two more buttons s, and Pi'd it. It works great as a two player machine for beat em ups like Golden Axe, or as a dual stick shooter with Black Widow and Robotron 2084. As I preserved the original button layout, I can still play Asteroids as intended and it looks miles better than the Arcade1up version.

For adding the second joystick on the right, the predrilled hole for the spinner is used. The hole is exactly 1.75" in diameter. I plugged it with a black plastic hole plug and drilled out the center of the plug for a joystick hole. Looks decent enough.

20200313_091556.jpg

Glen made a real spinner for the cabinet sold on Amazon. You should have got it instead.  Image result for arcade spinner glen

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NE146 said:

Did you use any online instructions for the Rpi mod?

It's my second modded cabinet; I have a Galaga cab that I've turned into a vertical MAME machine. I followed ETAPrime's instructions for the first one. Piece of cake. I'm waiting for my cheap little amp to arrive so don't have sound just yet but other than that it's running well.

I even tried Battlezone on it yesterday, plays decently considering the sticks aren't really set up for that game. I can pretty easily hit the fire button on the deck with my left thumb. This setup also works well for Defender, with that same button being used as a reverse button.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, Vrock said:

It's my second modded cabinet; I have a Galaga cab that I've turned into a vertical MAME machine. I followed ETAPrime's instructions for the first one. Piece of cake. I'm waiting for my cheap little amp to arrive so don't have sound just yet but other than that it's running well.

I even tried Battlezone on it yesterday, plays decently considering the sticks aren't really set up for that game. I can pretty easily hit the fire button on the deck with my left thumb. This setup also works well for Defender, with that same button being used as a reverse button.

ProTip:

If you run Defender in FBNeo, instead of MAME, you can use a 4 or 8 way stick to control movement, left goes left, right goes right, without needing the change direction/thrust separate buttons. yes, I know this is cheating. I don't care. Defender is hard enough even with using this control hack.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

ProTip:

If you run Defender in FBNeo, instead of MAME, you can use a 4 or 8 way stick to control movement, left goes left, right goes right, without needing the change direction/thrust separate buttons. yes, I know this is cheating. I don't care. Defender is hard enough even with using this control hack.

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I always thought the Atari 2600 version of Defender was a very elegant adaptation to an arcade control scheme that had at least two buttons too many.

The real arcade Defender actually becomes harder with that hacked control scheme funnily enough, since when the action gets quick you can't do rapid-reversals (it will often get stuck), or easily perform coasting.. which are both pretty big movement strategies in the game. But yeah for the first few stages, or casual play, the simplified scheme works ok. But if someone is trying to get good at Defender, it needs the original scheme it was designed around. :)  'Course on the 2600 version and other ports it doesn't really matter. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NE146 said:

The real arcade Defender actually becomes harder with that hacked control scheme funnily enough, since when the action gets quick you can't do rapid-reversals (it will often get stuck), or easily perform coasting.. which are both pretty big movement strategies in the game. But yeah for the first few stages, or casual play, the simplified scheme works ok. But if someone is trying to get good at Defender, it needs the original scheme it was designed around. :)  'Course on the 2600 version and other ports it doesn't really matter. 

I dunno. It's all about aesthetics. People say the same thing about FPS computer games and using a keyboard and mouse, vs. using a gamepad. to me that Defender arcade button layout never made any sense, and seemed more like punishment.

4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I dunno. It's all about aesthetics. People say the same thing about FPS computer games and using a keyboard and mouse, vs. using a gamepad. to me that Defender arcade button layout never made any sense, and seemed more like punishment.

It's not just aesthetics. There are functional differences. Like go full speed to the right, just tap reverse and you're basically flying backwards, able to quickly shoot at enemies while you're moving away from them. It's possible to do that with the simplified joystick control but it's not as easy to do, and it often makes you thrust in the reverse when you try and change direction. 

Also Arcade Defender's code only knows Up & Down, thrust, and reverse. So the controller hack for "Left" or "Right" is simply combining the reverse button along with thrust. So it makes you do a reverse, then it holds down thrust as long as you're pushing that direction. However if you try and perform a number of reversals in quick succession, you will find the game often won't keep up and you'll be pushing right or left with no movement. That never happens with the separate thrust & reverse functions. Again though.. that's not an issue with the home ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE146 said:

It's not just aesthetics. There are functional differences. Like go full speed to the right, just tap reverse and you're basically flying backwards, able to quickly shoot at enemies while you're moving away from them. It's possible to do that with the simplified joystick control but it's not as easy to do, and it often makes you thrust in the reverse when you try and change direction. 

Also Arcade Defender's code only knows Up & Down, thrust, and reverse. So the controller hack for "Left" or "Right" is simply combining the reverse button along with thrust. So it makes you do a reverse, then it holds down thrust as long as you're pushing that direction. However if you try and perform a number of reversals in quick succession, you will find the game often won't keep up and you'll be pushing right or left with no movement. That never happens with the separate thrust & reverse functions. Again though.. that's not an issue with the home ports.

all that is right, and correct. although you could

lose the hyperspace button, i never used it.

and the smartbomb button is crucial, but not used that often.

that could have been doubled up in holding down the fire button, etc.

there are lot of ways you could simplify the defender layout, because

only experts need all the buttons, if that.

the 2600 version is so dumbed down you can play it forever.

especially if you hide out below the planet area near the bottom.

i remember when it first came out, i could play it all day long.

the arcade version, i could last for about 2-3 minutes.

i'm better at the arcade version now, and can get about 200k, but that's

because i know about the carrying one man around on every level strategy,

which i would never would have known back then.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Or I would just LOVE a Crazy Otto game, but...same problem :)

And back to @Vrock's mention, I have a soft spot for Galaxian that Galaga doesn't completely fill.  Would have been nice of them to include Galaxian here as well.

And all that said, I LOVE the cab design, and this one is in serious consideration for me.  But I am basically out of disposable income and space, so....ugh, going to be a toughie

What I don't get is why the Frogger cab only has 3 games,  instead of 4, and not including Gyruss, or Vanguard. Both of those were popular, are vertical cab games, and of the same classic era - but not necessarily popular enough to warrant their own cab.