IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

14 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Anyway I was looking at the 12-in-1 thinking I'd finally replace the trackball and spinner (did buttons already)...did these things somehow become valuable/desired??? In googling to find parts I see lots of people hunting for them, and some crazy (asking)prices. Huh?

I have the Glen's retro show spinner (bought off Amazon) AND the Arcade1up free spinning replacement spinner i.e. 

https://arcade1up.com/products/spinner-knob-track-ball-combination?_pos=2&_sid=e8fbd2d33&_ss=r

The GRS spinner is higher quality but the I have to say the Arcade1up replacement is not bad at all.. actually pretty good, spins freely, etc. I'd be fine if I had it installed.

• Thanks 2

Agreed, the 1Up spinner replacement is pretty darn good, and should have come that way from the start.  I used it on my Asteroids Deluxe Costco cab.

I went with Glen's spinner on my 12 in 1 since at the time it was one of the only replacement options, then did his trackball later on.

Golden Axe listing:

https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets/products/golden-axe-arcade-cabinet

goldenaxe_cabinet_V2_600x.png?v=15899004

Relive the glory days of arcade gaming in the comfort of your own home with Arcade1Up's Golden Axe at home arcade machine!

Featuring the classic Golden Axe original artwork on its side panels, this 45.8” tall arcade cabinet has a full-color 17” LCD display, volume control and light-up marquee.

Five awesome games are included -- Golden Axe, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder, Shinobi, Altered Beast and Wrestle Wars. With these titles and real-feel joystick and control buttons setup, you can look forward to endless hours of gaming! The Arcade1Up Golden Axe At-Home Arcade Machine is easy to assemble and comes with a clear control deck protector.

Games Included

• Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
  • Shinobi
  • Altered Beast
  • Wrestle Wars

The also have the 40th anniversary pac-man, nba jam, star wars bench, and frogger listed.

later

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I still don't understand why Golden Axe is the lead title/main game here and not Shinobi. Shinobi was way more popular, spawned way more sequels, etc.

Also - what an ugly looking cab. This one is the first stinker of the new lineup.

I think it's because The Revenge of Death Adder has never had a home version before, so there's definitely some excitement around that. Also, the Shinobi cabinet design was really generic, without any custom control panel artwork and just a small decal on the sides. The marquee is pretty awesome, though.

Arcade 1up should really come up with a way of offering a choice of the featured artwork. If the Rampage cabinet had Joust artwork, I wouldn't have been able to resist that one.

Also, with four sticks they could have thrown Quartet on there for fun!

Edited by Zoyous
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Arcade 1up should really come up with a way of offering a choice of the featured artwork. If the Rampage cabinet had Joust artwork, I wouldn't have been able to resist that one.

Not sure they'd want to get into that area of the business especially with so many 3rd parties already doing just that, but you never know.  They've started selling replacement side panels so artwork kits might be a possibility.  You should suggest it to them directly or via Facebook.  

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I still don't understand why Golden Axe is the lead title/main game here and not Shinobi. Shinobi was way more popular, spawned way more sequels, etc.

Also - what an ugly looking cab. This one is the first stinker of the new lineup.

Could not disagree more strongly, on really, every word of that.  Nothing against Shinobi either, but Golden Axe is HUGE with tons of fan art, sequels, and the like

I love the look too.  I don't need it since I have a Mame Arcade cab and limited space...but I may end up getting this one anyway due to my love of Golden Axe, and the look of the cab.  It would be only my 2nd A1up Cab alongside Star Wars.  So...agree to 100% disagree I guess! 

Golden Axe by Gerald Parel.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I think it's because The Revenge of Death Adder has never had a home version before, so there's definitely some excitement around that.

Agreed. I don't actually think we missed TOO much but so far as arcade games that seem like a sure thing conversion that absolutely should have happened but didn't, it's Death Adder and Aliens vs. Predator in my mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious Sofa said:

Could not disagree more strongly, on really, every word of that.  Nothing against Shinobi either, but Golden Axe is HUGE with tons of fan art, sequels, and the like

I love the look too.  I don't need it since I have a Mame Arcade cab and limited space...but I may end up getting this one anyway due to my love of Golden Axe, and the look of the cab.  It would be only my 2nd A1up Cab alongside Star Wars.  So...agree to 100% disagree I guess! 

Golden Axe by Gerald Parel.jpg

I guess the respective arcades and pizza joints we frequented were very different. Shinobi was a premier title, and every arcade I knew had it, and it spent longer time at the local pizza joints that rotated games through than many other games of the era. I never saw a Golden Axe cab in person until the Mid-2000's at Funspot in NH. I only knew of it as a Sega Master System/Genesis game. Don't get me wrong - it's a fun game. I just didn't think it was that popular that it would warrant a cab all to itself.

Also - I guess I'm just not into the Halloweenish color scheme.

Golden Axe was fairly big and popular here in the Midwest. Released 2 years later than Shinobi, was a nice upgrade to the stiff 2D side-scrolling formula, and a great quarter muncher for sure. Saw more Golden Axe cabs than Shinobi myself BITD. Think Golden Axe is a superior game as well IMO. Neat to see Arcade 1UP pursue and replicate this one.   :)

Some more alt art...

EC7246B2-31CF-490C-B129-59FD2D6D8BBC.jpeg

I love Golden Axe, but I've purchased it many times and have it on my MAME Asteroids cab. 

While many arcades in my area had already died by the time it came out, it hung in there into my high school years. I remember dumping FOUR WHOLE DOLLARS of quarters into a machine to beat it with my Dad...a ridiculous sum to blow on a game in 1990. Those skeletons still suck to fight against!

14 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Hmm, as a Sega fan I can't help but notice they've gone to the trouble to actually remove the Sega logos from the marquee and side artwork. What's up with that?

My guess is since its a licensed product and not an actual Sega cabinet they're not allowed to use Sega's logos on it. Only thing that makes sense to me.

Also of note - Until now I had a *stock* Pac-Man cabinet (semi-stock, I swapped out the shit awful joystick for a genuine Sanwa) and a Retropie modded Galaga cab - but after pretty much playing the Galag cab exclusively - I realized that I barely ever play the Pac-Man cab even though I love how it looks, because it only had 2 games, and the emulation is shit. The crackling/popping audio, lack of graphical smoothing and scanlines is a complete dealbreaker for me. So I broke down and got another Rpi, video board, and usb zero delay encoder. I'm going to make it an all Vertical, all 4-way joystick/single fire button games cab, with mostly Pac-themed games and a few other classic 4-way/single button games thrown in. (Galaga/Galaxian/Donkey Kong/Dig Dug. etc.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I'm going to make it an all Vertical, all 4-way joystick/single fire button games cab, with mostly Pac-themed games and a few other classic 4-way/single button games thrown in. (Galaga/Galaxian/Donkey Kong/Dig Dug. etc.)

Great idea!..but 'few'? I'd shove in ALL of them from Pengo, Bagman on down. :)  I'd be curious to see how it turns out because as I've stated, I intend to do this with my 12-1 but fill it up with button/trackball/spinner games exclusively but I've just been dragging my feet, despite building my own rpi barcade on my own a couple years ago (I think the appeal of building a MiSter is kind of distracting me as well instead of doing the rpi thing again)

But whatever, anyway let us know how it goes.. I'd LOVE a 4-way joystick only arcade1up cab tbh, but just dont want to use up any more space.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Great idea!..but 'few'? I'd shove in ALL of them from Pengo, Bagman on down. :)  I'd be curious to see how it turns out because as I've stated, I intend to do this with my 12-1 but fill it up with button/trackball/spinner games exclusively but I've just been dragging my feet, despite building my own rpi barcade on my own a couple years ago (I think the appeal of building a MiSter is kind of distracting me as well instead of doing the rpi thing again)

But whatever, anyway let us know how it goes.. I'd LOVE a 4-way joystick only arcade1up cab tbh, but just dont want to use up any more space.

The Pi Build is done. I used a copy of my Galaga retropie image, and just hid all the non 4-way games. Just waiting on the USB encoder and Video board to be delivered so I can plug it all in.

37 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The Pi Build is done. I used a copy of my Galaga retropie image, and just hid all the non 4-way games. Just waiting on the USB encoder and Video board to be delivered so I can plug it all in.

so you went for another pi3b+ I take it?