IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

47 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The Pi Build is done. I used a copy of my Galaga retropie image, and just hid all the non 4-way games. Just waiting on the USB encoder and Video board to be delivered so I can plug it all in.

Are your modifications exceeding the initial cost of the cabinets? Not judging, just curious.

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Are your modifications exceeding the initial cost of the cabinets? Not judging, just curious.

Well for this one - definitely not. Initial cost of the Pac-Man cab at retail was $299. I got mine for $125 (Walmart). Then I added:

1 Sanwa joystick $20 (Ebay)

1 EG Starts LED Sanwa button set & USB Encoder: $19 (Amazon)

1 Video display board for HDMI to LVDS: $29 (Amazon)

Raspberry pi 3B - $26 (Microcenter)

Lexar 32Gb MicroUSB card: $11 (Staples)

Lighted Marquee: $50 (Arcade Game factory)

Final Cost $280. But the convenience of being able to add and remove games as I see fit, run thousands of games vs.  2 games, and add filters, shaders, lighted marquee, etc. is totally worth it.

My Galaga cab I spent a little more on because it was $150  when I bought it and I also added a GRS Spinner ($50) and LED lighted trackball ($25) in addition to the above. But it plays EVERYTHING perfectly. Again, totally worth it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zoyous said:

Good deal! So the Raspberry Pi is powerful enough to overlay filters and shaders? For some reason I assumed that would be a bit too much for it.

For the classics, absolutely. For newer stuff it would probably lag and sputter. I tried Steel Talons, and it was unplayable. But everything up through the early 90's was fine. I keep mine to about 80 +/- games, all classic arcade games pre-1988.

22 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

For the classics, absolutely. For newer stuff it would probably lag and sputter. I tried Steel Talons, and it was unplayable. But everything up through the early 90's was fine. I keep mine to about 80 +/- games, all classic arcade games pre-1988.

It will be interesting to see what Pi4 can do, for sure.

11 hours ago, Loafer said:

Since there is no place to slide your feet, doesn’t that make you more hunched over than you should to play Star Wars while sitting on the bench?  Oh my poor back.

Still want a SW arcade1up though lol

the seat can slide back or forwards depending on how much space you need.

later

13 hours ago, Loafer said:

Since there is no place to slide your feet, doesn’t that make you more hunched over than you should to play Star Wars while sitting on the bench?  Oh my poor back.

This never even dawned on me until you mentioned it. 

Sitting while holding my hands out past my kneecaps is not an enjoyable position, nor do I fancy the idea of straddling with my legs out like I'm riding a horse. 

Edited by Azathoth

On 5/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, NE146 said:

Great idea!..but 'few'? I'd shove in ALL of them from Pengo, Bagman on down. :)  I'd be curious to see how it turns out because as I've stated, I intend to do this with my 12-1 but fill it up with button/trackball/spinner games exclusively but I've just been dragging my feet, despite building my own rpi barcade on my own a couple years ago (I think the appeal of building a MiSter is kind of distracting me as well instead of doing the rpi thing again)

But whatever, anyway let us know how it goes.. I'd LOVE a 4-way joystick only arcade1up cab tbh, but just dont want to use up any more space.

You said you'd like to see it when it's done?

Here it is. I culled the game selection to only games I like. I'm still on the fence about Pac-Land being in there since it's the only horizontal game. It felt unfinished not having it as an option on a Pac-Themed cab, but it's not a game I play much, and having 1 horizontal game on a vertical screen might annoy me enough to take it out.

• Like 3

Just now, Vrock said:

The Ms. Pacman cab is nice. Zero interest in the others. Was hoping for a Tron cabinet.

Just wish they would have gone with something other than Galaxian and Pac-Man+ on it since we already have those released.

1 hour ago, 128Kgames said:

Just wish they would have gone with something other than Galaxian and Pac-Man+ on it since we already have those released.

Yes agreed. There are plenty of unreleased Namco games still.

Or they could have done a 20th anniversary Ms. Pacman/Galaga cab theme.

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Ms. Pac-Man is a huge get from a licensing standpoint, but the rest of the games they put on there they've already released multiple times. Weak.

Funny to see ATGames getting cucked on that one though.

Karma's a bitch, right?  ?

• Like 1