IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

19 minutes ago, NE146 said:

It's basically the modern Golden Tee game stuffed inside a transportable case. It's probably so expensive because it requires good PC horsepower to run and it's in a unique, low production form factor. It's cool in its own way, but I haven't heard many people talking about getting one.

43 minutes ago, negative1 said:

the originals look much worse:

very clunky and boxy, with the horrible control panel going off the sides, and awkward looking joysticks all spaced at weird spots.

True, but they at least had the excuse of being a product of their time.  Nobody had really had a chance to figure out yet that this wasn't necessarily a great idea.

30-plus years later, though...

13 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

True, but they at least had the excuse of being a product of their time.  Nobody had really had a chance to figure out yet that this wasn't necessarily a great idea.

30-plus years later, though...

bad design is forever, there's plenty of good arcade games from the 80's that are well made, these weren't.

later

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 11:44 PM, negative1 said:

bad design is forever, there's plenty of good arcade games from the 80's that are well made, these weren't.

later

How would you redesign these 4-player cabinets? The only way to make them proportionate and have the control panel flush with the sides of the cabinet is to go with an even bigger screen. I could only find info on TMNT, and that was already 320 lbs. A big enough CRT to fill out the width of the control panel would have added a hundred pounds or more... not to mention the increase in price.

17 hours ago, Zoyous said:

How would you redesign these 4-player cabinets? The only way to make them proportionate and have the control panel flush with the sides of the cabinet is to go with an even bigger screen. I could only find info on TMNT, and that was already 320 lbs. A big enough CRT to fill out the width of the control panel would have added a hundred pounds or more... not to mention the increase in price.

Yes, use a bigger screen, its 4 players, slant the screen like Gauntlet. Move the joysticks away from being all in a straight line next to each other.

Change the chunky blocky profile, and for goodness sake, get rid of the horrible colors on the artwork, change the terrible trim, and textured look.

The games are all terrible to begin with, so you really can't improve anything to make them better. Yes, they are some of the alltime most popular

and money making games ever, but i've never played NBA jam in the arcade, never played mutant turtles (except the A1UP once at walmart), and

never played death adder. so they are the wrong concepts to make into games in the first place, and i've never liked those characters or ideas

for being a game.

the late 80's, 90's are the darkest era of arcade videogames after the crash, and most games were horrible, and totally forgettable.

(i do love the 3d polygon Sega games though, and most versions of street fighter 2 and on).

later

Edited by negative1

Looking at the Gauntlet cabinet - it does have a more appealing profile, but at the expense of players 1 and 4 literally having to stand on the sides. The top-down design of Gauntlet would have made it ideal to have a horizontal screen with controls on all four sides, like Sprint 8.

As for the games not being good based on era, well obviously it's all a matter of taste. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't reserve judgement until actually playing the games. I would counter that Gauntlet is all looks, and the actual gameplay is pretty unfair. Maybe if you have a crew of four well-coordinated players, you can strategize. It's not a fun game for one player. Golden Axe is a lot better balanced and playable for any number of players.

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

Looking at the Gauntlet cabinet - it does have a more appealing profile, but at the expense of players 1 and 4 literally having to stand on the sides. The top-down design of Gauntlet would have made it ideal to have a horizontal screen with controls on all four sides, like Sprint 8.

As for the games not being good based on era, well obviously it's all a matter of taste. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't reserve judgement until actually playing the games. I would counter that Gauntlet is all looks, and the actual gameplay is pretty unfair. Maybe if you have a crew of four well-coordinated players, you can strategize. It's not a fun game for one player. Golden Axe is a lot better balanced and playable for any number of players.

i was in college at the time gauntlet came out and it was a huge hit, breaking all kinds of records.

i played it and was terrible. my friend mastered the game on one quarter, and could max out each character at 9,999,999.

so i would watch him play, let him build up 20000 health, then take over, and when i was dying, he would take over and

salvage the game.

i'm pretty sure he hit board 256 by himself, but i still have never gotten good at it. i do like playing it 2 player though with someone good.

later

On 10/14/2020 at 10:45 PM, negative1 said:

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Arcade-Game1181242120107.jpgNBA-Jam-Arcade-Game__84171.1564102667.jp

very clunky and boxy, with the horrible control panel going off the sides, and awkward looking joysticks all spaced at weird spots.

later

Call me crazy but these are miles better than the arcade1up cabs. These don't look like they will fly away in a strong gust of wind. Sure, the control panel overhangs a bit, but it's nowhere near as objectionable as the 1ups. I also don't mind the boxy cabinets. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, negative1 said:

preview of outrun sit down cabinet:

The logos are quite blurry, but it looks like:

Out Run
Turbo Out Run

Outrunners

Power Drift

Out Run is excellent, of course. To me, Turbo Out Run is interesting but has some borderline unfair curves that are pretty much impossible to take without crashing. I've mostly played the 3DS version that was enhanced by M2 with various ways to make it easier, and it's still ridiculously hard. Power Drift is very good, although the 3D presentation strains against the limits of the SuperScaler technique such that it can occasionally be hard to visually parse what's going on with the track... but overall it's quite fun. As for Outrunners, I don't have enough experience with it to offer an opinion. I think it was built around multiplayer so I wonder if Arcade1up has any form of connectivity in mind for that one.

I was hoping for Super Monaco GP, since that has not yet been properly emulated, but I think the selection is understandable and pretty good.

At 6'6", I don't have high hopes about being able to play this comfortably.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 10:45 PM, negative1 said:

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Arcade-Game1181242120107.jpgNBA-Jam-Arcade-Game__84171.1564102667.jp

later

A1U's four player cabinets look fine to me, but after owning the TMNT cabinet for awhile I wish A1U angled the player 1 and 4 controls a bit more like in the arcade. Putting the controls at a 45 degree angle would've given four people more elbow room around the cabinet. 

On 10/17/2020 at 3:13 AM, negative1 said:

Yes, use a bigger screen, its 4 players, slant the screen like Gauntlet. Move the joysticks away from being all in a straight line next to each other.

Change the chunky blocky profile, and for goodness sake, get rid of the horrible colors on the artwork, change the terrible trim, and textured look.

The games are all terrible to begin with, so you really can't improve anything to make them better. Yes, they are some of the alltime most popular

and money making games ever, but i've never played NBA jam in the arcade, never played mutant turtles (except the A1UP once at walmart), and

never played death adder. so they are the wrong concepts to make into games in the first place, and i've never liked those characters or ideas

for being a game.

the late 80's, 90's are the darkest era of arcade videogames after the crash, and most games were horrible, and totally forgettable.

(i do love the 3d polygon Sega games though, and most versions of street fighter 2 and on).

later

WTF are you talking about?

"These games are terrible, but they are very popular, and I've never played them!!"

OK, your opinion is just like something I deposited in my toilet this morning...

1 hour ago, XtraSmiley said:

WTF are you talking about?

"These games are terrible, but they are very popular, and I've never played them!!"

OK, your opinion is just like something I deposited in my toilet this morning...

NBA JAM - standard sports game

TMNT - standard beat em up

DEATH ADDER - beat em up in a fantasy theme

nothing that hasn't been done before, and nothing new added to the genres

so why bother playing them.

it's not like they got any acclaim for being innovative,

they were are all run of the mill games that had a license that people recognized.

big deal (NOT!).

later

24 minutes ago, negative1 said:

they were are all run of the mill games that had a license that people recognized.

big deal (NOT!).

later

While it's easy enough to argue that beat 'em ups in that style are relatively repetitive re-skins, it's not so easy to dismiss NBA Jam. It's hardly a "standard" sports game. It was a revelation and innovation upon release, successfully mixing genres into an exciting, cohesive whole. Considering how hard it's been to replicate NBA Jam's formula (the closest arguably being NFL Blitz, which still didn't quite get there), I think that shows how much it really got right.

• Like 1

I mean, if you want to be really reductionist, you could argue that most games weren't really stunning innovations at the time of their release. Most games incrementally built upon something else that was already there, adding a couple of new features here and there. Ultimately it's the total package that resonates with players. Golden Axe expanded a lot upon the foundation of Double Dragon and Renegade, bringing in a strategic power-up system... first you have to collect the magic/power up vials in a challenging arcade scenario that is separate from the primary beat-em-up theme; then when you're back in the brawler segments, you have to decide ~ do you hold off on using it so you can collect more later to build it up to the maximum, or do you have to use them at less than maximum power because you're desperate right now? It also introduced multiple types of beasts to ride with each kind having a different special attack. I think NBA Jam was a similar leap forward from the foundation that Midway had established with Arch Rivals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

I mean, if you want to be really reductionist, you could argue that most games weren't really stunning innovations at the time of their release. Most games incrementally built upon something else that was already there, adding a couple of new features here and there. Ultimately it's the total package that resonates with players. Golden Axe expanded a lot upon the foundation of Double Dragon and Renegade, bringing in a strategic power-up system... first you have to collect the magic/power up vials in a challenging arcade scenario that is separate from the primary beat-em-up theme; then when you're back in the brawler segments, you have to decide ~ do you hold off on using it so you can collect more later to build it up to the maximum, or do you have to use them at less than maximum power because you're desperate right now? It also introduced multiple types of beasts to ride with each kind having a different special attack. I think NBA Jam was a similar leap forward from the foundation that Midway had established with Arch Rivals.

Agreed. You have to go back very far to have games that were the strict definitions of innovation. Basically from the 70s onward it's all been incremental. With that said, NBA Jam really took all that came before to the next level.

5 hours ago, negative1 said:

big deal (NOT!).

later

Why watch any movie? Why read any book? Why do anything, it's just a repeat of what's been done before.

Oh, I know, why take your opinions seriously, you shouldn't!  

Sorry man, -1 shouldn't be your name, Troll 1 should be! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XtraSmiley said:

Why watch any movie? Why read any book? Why do anything, it's just a repeat of what's been done before.

Oh, I know, why take your opinions seriously, you shouldn't!  

Sorry man, -1 shouldn't be your name, Troll 1 should be! 

have you ever played them.

tell me whats so great about them.

why should i bother.

later