IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

They can enable character selection at the emulator level. Midway Arcade Origins for instance let's you pick which joystick station you're playing from when you insert a credit to start a game of Rampage (Here's a video I grabbed off YouTube showing it off).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

basically, unless they modify the rom,

they will make it so you can only play as 2 of the characters.

later

Utterly stupid on their part, its a 3 player game.

46 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

They can enable character selection at the emulator level. Midway Arcade Origins for instance let's you pick which joystick station you're playing from when you insert a credit to start a game of Rampage

Oh so a third player can stand there with their thumb out and the game will recognize it as a virtual joystick?  (I'm being facetious, obviously).  And please, don't take this personally, it's directed at 1Up: see my previous comment above.

17 hours ago, negative1 said:

i'm going by the 2 partycades that were just released, which most likely will be exactly the same games ported to this standup.

1) no, the emulation will be exactly the same as before, no changes

2) they have never used backgrounds before, so they won't now either

3) it's not even confirmed to be a vertical monitor, so it's the other way around 9/12 games horizontal 3/12 hortizontal

i have already modded my partycade, added the proper controls and settings, and all the backdrops for the

games asteroids, asteroids deluxe, lunar lander, and warlords:

this will have to be modded to do what you are expecting.

later

Ah, I see. Well, no sale here, unless they just want to sell the bare cabinet.

Are you using a trackball for Quantum? You seem pretty good at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vrock said:

Ah, I see. Well, no sale here, unless they just want to sell the bare cabinet.

Are you using a trackball for Quantum? You seem pretty good at it.

yes, i added a trackball for the trackball games, major havoc can be played

with either a spinner or trackball.

actually, i'm ok at quantum, need a lot of work to get to the higher levels. ha ha

1 hour ago, Vrock said:

Paperboy without the handlebar controller misses much of the point of Paperboy.

well, they also have tapper, which had a specific controller, and

joust had a 2 way horizontal stick, defender had a 2 way vertical stick, etc, etc.

basically, they grab a bunch of licenses, slap them on a machine, without any thought

as too which ones, just because a lot of people requested them.

they don't actually play them, or test them, and i doubt most even know anything about

the games, (like the button layout for defender) etc.

sad, i know.

later

Edited by negative1

12 minutes ago, Toaddio said:

Damn that Tempest cabinet is gorgeous.

I'm in agreement with you about that, with the exception of the completely-upright marquee and control panel.  They really should've been slanted in the same way that the ones on the original game were.

https://2warpstoneptune.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/tempest-cabinet.jpg

Edited by x=usr(1536)

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

actually, i'm ok at quantum, need a lot of work to get to the higher levels. ha ha

joust had a 2 way horizontal stick, defender had a 2 way vertical stick, etc, etc.

basically, they grab a bunch of licenses, slap them on a machine, without any thought

they don't actually play them, or test them, and i doubt most even know anything about

sad, i know.

later

True, but I can live with most of those. Tapper was just 2/4 way sticks shaped like draft pulls. Joust is fine with a 4 way/8 way. But Paperboy with a joystick is like Star Wars with a joystick.

Edited by Vrock
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, negative1 said:

i have already modded my partycade, added the proper controls and settings, and all the backdrops for the

games asteroids, asteroids deluxe, lunar lander, and warlords:

I dig what you did there.. did you follow any particular guide or did you just wing it on your own? 

I've been "planning" on modding my Arcade1up 12-1 into a dedicated purely Trackball/Spinner/Buttons games cabinet, but when I turned it on before Christmas, the monitor had obviously died with the White Screen of Death (you can still hear the games playing though). So basically at this point I'd probably be doing the same thing.. just using it as a shell and building from scratch more or less. Did you change your monitor to anything in particular? And what are your guts.. an rpi?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, negative1 said:

sad, i know.

later

I honestly don't think they're that bad; having watched some of the interviews with the guys who work on the details at A1up at shows, they do test them, they're concerned about things like Bat top vs Ball top sticks, they do honestly try.  But I think it can be a mess sometimes to get it all done cheaply, it's why they're kind of the only ones doing what they are like they are.  The option to get real Sanwa sticks on the Collector's edition of the Marvel cab was nice, for example, giving a choice to those who care.  Definitely not saying they're perfect, not by far, especially their earliest machines.  But it does seem like they're improving and that they take feedback seriously; the design team does actually read comments online.  

Could you do better than any of these with your own custom parts and work?  Absolutely.  But they're targeting people who won't or can't make their own setup for the most part.  And I give them credit - they make a decent enough product at a cheap enough price that lots of guys who can make their own are starting with the A1Up basics at least.

But maybe I'm just favorable towards them since I heart my SW Arcade machine, which has been generally seen as their best work.

I really, really, really hope the Xmen cab and the Atari 12-1 Tempest cab are high quality.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, negative1 said:

midway legacy cabinet:

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/arcades/full-size-arcades/products/midway-game-cabinet-with-riser-legacy-edition/11114219.html?condition=New

Iconic arcade games. Vibrant pop culture imagery that has stood the test of time. Nostalgia that transcends generations. We call this the “Legacy Edition” for a reason…make that many reasons!

GAMES:

Midway-Game-Cabinet-with-Riser-Legacy-Ed

• Mortal Kombat™
  • Mortal Kombat II™
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3™
  • Joust™
  • Defender™
  • Rampage™
  • Gauntlet™
  • Paperboy™
  • Rootbeer Tapper™
  • Bubbles™
  • Toobin™
  • Wizards of Wor™

later

Not a terrible list but... Why no Robotron 2084???  Nothing against the others, love the addition of Wiz of Wor, personally love RootBeer Tapper and Bubbles... But you GOT to give me Robotron 2084.  Just got to.  

13 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm in agreement with you about that, with the exception of the completely-upright marquee and control panel.  They really should've been slanted in the same way that the ones on the original game were.

https://2warpstoneptune.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/tempest-cabinet.jpg

they are considering slanting the screen, but it might be too late in the manufacturing process.

i wish they would slant the control panel.

the marquee is recessed, because it blocks line of sight to the monitor (which would be fixed by slanting the screen)

they're still taking suggestions so who knows.

the bigger issue is the buttons are all screwed up, and need to be fixed.

also the game emulation is poor, and the settings are wrong for certain games.

thats a problem.

12 hours ago, NE146 said:

I dig what you did there.. did you follow any particular guide or did you just wing it on your own? 

I've been "planning" on modding my Arcade1up 12-1 into a dedicated purely Trackball/Spinner/Buttons games cabinet, but when I turned it on before Christmas, the monitor had obviously died with the White Screen of Death (you can still hear the games playing though). So basically at this point I'd probably be doing the same thing.. just using it as a shell and building from scratch more or less. Did you change your monitor to anything in particular? And what are your guts.. an rpi?

its a dedicated all in one HP PC, that way its self contained, and its way more powerful that it needs to be.

i show the screens, and clicking on mame.

details here:

parrtycade1.jpg

7 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

Not a terrible list but... Why no Robotron 2084???  Nothing against the others, love the addition of Wiz of Wor, personally love RootBeer Tapper and Bubbles... But you GOT to give me Robotron 2084.  Just got to.  

because they are eventually planning, and hopefully will do the trilogy : robotron 2084, smash tv, total carnage.

or another williams compilation.

later

8 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

I honestly don't think they're that bad; having watched some of the interviews with the guys who work on the details at A1up at shows, they do test them, they're concerned about things like Bat top vs Ball top sticks, they do honestly try.  But I think it can be a mess sometimes to get it all done cheaply, it's why they're kind of the only ones doing what they are like they are.  The option to get real Sanwa sticks on the Collector's edition of the Marvel cab was nice, for example, giving a choice to those who care.  Definitely not saying they're perfect, not by far, especially their earliest machines.  But it does seem like they're improving and that they take feedback seriously; the design team does actually read comments online.  

Could you do better than any of these with your own custom parts and work?  Absolutely.  But they're targeting people who won't or can't make their own setup for the most part.  And I give them credit - they make a decent enough product at a cheap enough price that lots of guys who can make their own are starting with the A1Up basics at least.

But maybe I'm just favorable towards them since I heart my SW Arcade machine, which has been generally seen as their best work.

I really, really, really hope the Xmen cab and the Atari 12-1 Tempest cab are high quality.

i have a mint condition pac-man 1st gen, that i've modded heavily. never had a problem with it. but the first thing i did was replace the buttons, and

the joystick to arcade quality. made a huge difference. yes, the stock stick was fine (killscreened with it), but it was subpar.

yes, arcade 1up has come some ways since 2 years ago. but they're still making basic mistakes:

----------

bilinear filtering on games is a big no no, when pixel perfect should be default or an option.

only a few games are being patched now, (and not even every version), to fix that.

basic games don't work properly or have wrong game settings - every single version of super breakout is broken, and no fix in sight,

i've told them about it, but no response

3 spinner games don't work right on their asteroids partycade, and again no response

audio problems (too loud, too soft) on several cabinets.

====================

they have way too many q and a problems, and i dont' think they'll fix it, because they really don't care about the small

amount of people that care, or know better.

only things like: galaga and galaxian having the wrong buttons for firing got fixed, or something higher profile.

====================

sure, the premium cabinets seem to be better off, but that's why, because you're paying more for better quality,

better testing, and better emulation.

all the standard cabinets, are just the same rehashed releases since generation 1, with the same poor controls.

the first thing to do when buying these cabinets is too replace all the controls, and secondly to mod them, so you 

can actually play the games properly, and put more games on them.

later

• Like 1

The Killer Instinct one is a surprise, and although the Nintendo references are probably removed I imagine they may have had to at least work with Nintendo on permission for this to happen... Which leads me to something I was hoping to see from them but is doubtful - I'd love it if they did a Nintendo Vs. cab. Maybe both in the 'tent' style dual or the full upright/donkey kong style.  Still seems iffy but KI has peaked my hopes up some. 

I preordered the Out Run cab and will probably get Tempest and X-Men when they come out.   The only game I wish the Tempest one had is Black Widow, but I get that the controls for that one would completely change the control design.  Little disappointing there is no Timber on the Midway one - always thought of it as a quasi-sequel to Tapper since its like the bartender got a new 'job' as a lumberjack. 

A couple of years ago, they previewed some of these cabs with a poll they ran on Twitter - most of those choices have since happened with the exception of The Simpsons. (TMNT won the poll) My thought with the Simpsons - seems like the only other game they could include with it is Simpsons Bowling, also by Konami - but that would make for odd controls, having a giant trackball in the center of a 4 player control scheme. Maybe not impossible. 

Edited by SearsRoebuck

11 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

The Killer Instinct one is a surprise, and although the Nintendo references are probably removed I imagine they may have had to at least work with Nintendo on permission for this to happen... Which leads me to something I was hoping to see from them but is doubtful - I'd love it if they did a Nintendo Vs. cab. Maybe both in the 'tent' style dual or the full upright/donkey kong style.  Still seems iffy but KI has peaked my hopes up some.

If such a thing were to happen, it would surely be manufactured by Nintendo themselves... which frankly would be a much higher quality product - and much more expensive - than anything A1up makes.

17 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

If such a thing were to happen, it would surely be manufactured by Nintendo themselves... which frankly would be a much higher quality product - and much more expensive - than anything A1up makes.

Absolutely. It would be the get of the century for another company to make a videogame-centric Nintendo product who wasn't Nintendo. I can certainly see Nintendo doing it themselves one day like they did with the plug and play consoles, but if they do it, it will be on their own time (as usual) and probably represent the peak and then slow downward spiral of the entire category.

12 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

The Killer Instinct one is a surprise, and although the Nintendo references are probably removed I imagine they may have had to at least work with Nintendo on permission for this to happen...

Nintendo has nothing to do with this new version. It's a all microsoft since they own rare.

Simpsons may happen eventually, wait for CES.

later

29 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Whatever happened to their tracball? That's what I really need ?

• Like 1

I got out a measuring tape and measured where I thought the screen was in this image.

Atari-Game-Cabinet-with-Riser-Legacy-Edi

I guess its a rendering and up to change, but in the picture the screen seems to be a square as opposed to 4x3 or 3x4.  Honestly, maybe a square screen wouldn't be the worst idea since there's such a blend of horizontal and vertical games on this one.

2 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I got out a measuring tape and measured where I thought the screen was in this image.

Atari-Game-Cabinet-with-Riser-Legacy-Edi

I guess its a rendering and up to change, but in the picture the screen seems to be a square as opposed to 4x3 or 3x4.  Honestly, maybe a square screen wouldn't be the worst idea since there's such a blend of horizontal and vertical games on this one.

the most common monitors they use are 5:4, 1280x1024

later

arcade 1up did incredibly well last year:

Arcade Cabinets were one of the better Hardware performers in US Video Games during Q4. Double digit growth, ranking 4th in hardware dollars, trailing only Switch, PS4 and Xbox One. The Plug N Play segment, on the other hand, experienced sharp declines.

[Executive Director & Video Game Industry Advisor, The NPD Group. Formerly of WB Games & Activision. MBA-SDSU Aztec for Life. Go Padres. Tom Nook is good. He/Him]

later
Edited by negative1